1 oven 1 ham 1 roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-roy

Cook
Help
I've been asked to cook for a party at my office (by the owner of the company, a really nice guy who I'd hate to disappoint).
I only have one oven.
I have a 10 Lb fully cooked ham that I need to warm up at a low temp then glaze at 400° or so.
I have a 10 Lb beef roast that I'd like to serve medium rare so I figure 3 or so hours at 350°.
I could slice the ham the night before, forget the glaze & warm it in a slow cooker the next day & cook the beef roast in the oven.
I could cook & slice the roast the night before, add some stock & warm it in a slow cooker the next day & warm & glaze the ham in the oven.
Which meat would suffer less from the slow cooker? (I'm thinking the ham)
Any ideas?

To me the ham will stand up better in the slow cooker. Could you glaze the ham toss into the oven, and then toss it into the slow cooker just to keep warm. Then roast the beef?

This seems like some sort of test that your boss has given you :ermm:
Two dissimilar meats, one oven, what will you do? :LOL:

Do you have access to an electric rotisserie? Those things will cook (warm) either one well. And would allow you to glaze the ham, too. :)

Well, I'm thinking that reheating the ham will be fine in a 350 oven for an hour, hour and a half or so. Wrap it in foil, if you want to ensure that it will be heated through and won't dry out.

You can glaze the ham a half hour early at 350, or kick the heat up to 400 and glaze it while the beef is resting.

It's definitely workable without a crockpot.

Lee

"I'm sorry....but I'm confused. Is the One oven at home or at work that you will be using?"
The oven is at home; I'll be cooking in the morning for a company lunch.

"This seems like some sort of test that your boss has given you :ermm:
Two dissimilar meats, one oven, what will you do? :LOL:"
He's not quite my boss, just the owner;). More like the companies Grandpa.

"Do you have access to an electric rotisserie? Those things will cook (warm) either one well. And would allow you to glaze the ham, too."
No such luck.

"Wrap it in foil, if you want to ensure that it will be heated through and won't dry out.
That's a good idea, I was worried about drying the ham out. Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom