"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-27-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

1800s Vintage Cooking

Did you know that one of the measuring tools used in 1800s vintage cooking was teacups?

The size of the teacup depended on the individual's teacup. They ranged from 4oz to 6 oz.

Val

Old 10-27-2008, 01:52 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

welcome val.

teacups? very interesting.

i've heard of using champagne glasses as measuring devices, but never teacups. (see marie antoinette)

i'm more of a teacup man.

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:59 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

It is very interesting. As a matter of fact, the measuring of food had its headstart in the 1800s. They started sending their wifes and daughters to cooking school. Before then, it was a pinch her and a splash there.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I heard about that.

I learned it actualyl from good eats. Tea cups used to be used to emasure alot fo stuff and make cup cakes if im not mistaken.

Ive always been interested in old school books. my old chefs used to use ones from like the 1600s and the problems they ran into were that alot of ingredients dont exsist any more and they have to find out what it is called now or wa suitable replacement.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Executive Chef

All the pasta my dad's nonna, my great nonna, made she used a teacup - if she measured at all that one could see. Boy, wish I had those recipes now! She died in the late 60's, in her 90s.

Val, this is the second time seeing you post about this 1800s cookbook.
Please, please tell us the name of the book, and the name of some of the food recipe titles. Those books are so hard to find as not many recipes werewritten down for publication. Post some recipes for us all. I love reading old recipes like you mentioned.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Master Chef

With the exception of pints, quarts or weights - most home cooks had their cooking "measuring" tools and methods - a certain teacup, teaspoon or tablespoon they always used to measure things for their recipes and their own way of doing it - level or heaping, a handfull varied by hand size, a pinch could be a big or little one, a piece of butter the size of a hen's egg could also vary depending on the size of eggs your hens were laying (small, medium, large, extra large). My grandmother had hers and nobody had better touch them! By using the same tools and measuring techniques they could assure some uniformity in reproducing their recipes. This didn't always translate into success when going from one cook to another because there was no standardization of size or volume.

Fannie Farmer , circa 1896, did a lot to standardize how things were measured (and the volume of those measurements) and how recipes are written (what we are accustomed to these days) in her famous cookbook. Actually - she was the Shirley Corriher, Alton Brown and Harold McGee all rolled into one of her day.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Master Chef

www.bartleby.com/87/

an entire plethora of information!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #8
Head Chef

My grandmother made her soup in a specific pot ( which I inherited ). Most of the ingredients were exactly measured out, but the amount of water was to fill the pot up until 1 inch from the top. Any other pot wouldnt work. I never even tried to figure out the exact measurement of water, I just always use the same pot when i make it
Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef

antique recipes-19th Century recipes and cooking hints from the 1800's-
Old 10-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
Head Chef

Here's one from the August 1900 issue of The National Baker, a trade magazine for bakers...

This issue had mostly cakes and tarts...

RATAFIA LUNCH CAKE
One ounce of ground bitter almonds, half a pound of blanched ground sweet almonds, 2 pints of suar, one pint of eggs, one pint of yolks of eggs, one quarter pint of warm water, one pound and three quarters of flour, one basting-spoonful of vanilla, half a ound of bright red French cherries cut in halves, one quarter a pound of Angelique, 1/4 pound Sultana raisins, 1/4 pound currants. Beat sugar with the eggs and yolks and water, over a slow fire in a bright copper kettle with an egg whisk very light, as for sponge cake.
When thick, beat until cold; sift sweet and bitter almonds with the flour and mix this with the above, add the fruit last. Line two square, greased pans with paper. Divide mixture in both of them and bake in a moderate oven about one hour and a half. When cool, ice with fondant icing and flavor with essence of bitter almonds. Decorate with split, blanched Jordan almonds, angelique and cherries.

Queen's Shortbread
Mix 4 pounds of flour, 2 of granulated sugar, 2 of butter together; add 6 eggs and some lemon extract, make all into a smooth paste. Roll out to about half an inch thick. Cut into shape and sizes and bake on greased tins in moderate oven. When cold ice with water icing and decorate with fruit or varigated Scotch comfits.

One from the 1904 White House cook book:
Cucumber Catsup
Take cucumbers suitable for the table, peel and grate them, salt a little and put into a bag to drain overnight. In the morning season with salt pepper and vinegar to taste. Put in small jars and seal for use in the winter.

A Brine to Preserve Butter
First work your butter into small rolls, wrapping each one carefully in a clean muslin cloth, tying with a string. Make a brine, say 3 gallons, having it strong enough of salt to bear up an egg. Add half a TEACUPFUL of pure white sugar, and 1 tablespoonful of saltpetre, boil the brine, when cold strain carefully. Pour it over the butter rolls so as to more than cover them, as this excludes the air. Place a weight over all to keep rolls under the surface.

The book also has cures, household tips, hints, formulas and such. Here's an interesting one...

RELIEF FROM ASTHMA
Get a muskrat skin and wear it over their lungs with the fur side next to the body. It will bring certain relief. Or soak a blotting paper in saltpetre, then dry, burning at night in patient's bedroom. Another excellent recipe: Take powdered liquorice root, powdered elecampane root, powdered anise-seed, each one drachm, powdered ipecac ten grains, powdered lobelia ten grains; add sufficient amount of tar to form into pills of ordinary size. Take 3 or 4 pills on going to bed.

Need I say please don't try the above formula?

Fascinating stuff! Pity my White house cook book is falling apart.