2 crucial questions? RE:"PU PU Platter" and Monkey Bread??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubba_sybo

Cook
one of the great things about living in MI is all the corn fields,apple orchards, and the tigers right now:)
specially this time o year when u get to go to the corn fields mazes and go on awesome hay rides.( with a purty gerl)

Did that tonight and made sloppy joes and chili in 2 seperate slow cookers. Perfect to come home and find that ready to go with a few punkin ales in the fridge. But u am at a friends house and I look at a chinese meneu on the fridge ad see a appetizer called the PU PU platter! I am a little curous about this one? it was from a chinese place so who knows what it could be, but i am just curoius as to what is in it ??

what is PU PU?

By the time it occured to me to just call and ask it was too late . I know I can call tommoroow, but I thought i would ask ya'll and seem if any one had ever had or heard of this appetizer? It costs about 11 bones for an appetiser and it is sposed to sreve 2. help?:(

the other burning question I have is how to save 2 teenagers attemt at a huge batch (imho) monkey bread. It was 3 tubes of dem biscuts and I guess about 1 stick of buttah and I dont know how much or how many of the other yummy ingredients. I guess it turned out dry and didnt taste like nothing other than some biscuts with a lil bit of cinn. and was "icky" If u dont know what I am talking about look in the forums I have been trying to matser the art of thge monkey bread
for awhile now. I am dangerous on the dance floor but I never ha to clean up someone elses mess and make it edible , yet delishous.

well I have a **** oif a mess to clean up in the kitchen and I am wondering if there is a way to save this monkey bread . It sounds to me like I could just throw a nother and a half of butter in ther with br sugar galore and warm it up baaste it and bake it for a bit more time but I am reluctant about the particular temps and stuff
but we are talking like a wast if i dont do something to save this recipie gone bad

and my new gf might thimk I was a good cook ?
yall love tha wowing the crowd in the bottom of the ninth type stuff??

sure she will learn eventually but if I fixed this one I would be toight like ze tiger

show me some love pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease and help me out ?

The appetizer you are talking about usually has a couple chicken wings, chicken or beef on a stick, egg rolls, cream cheese won tons, shrimp toast, ribs, and various other things depending on the restaurant. It is a VERY common appetizer on pretty much EVERY Chinese menu I've ever seen!

As far as the monkey bread you might be able to just add more "stuff" to it or just add some butter, sugar, cinnamon and toast under the broiler on a cookie sheet when you eat it next.

Monkey bread is either bread dough pieces or biscuit pieces dipped in butter and then cinnamon sugar. Then these are piled in a baking pan and in the case of the bread, allowed to rise. With the biscuits it is just baked. Makes a pull apart jumble for a delicious breakfast bread.

Gretchen said:
Monkey bread is either bread dough pieces or biscuit pieces dipped in butter and then cinnamon sugar. Then these are piled in a baking pan and in the case of the bread, allowed to rise. With the biscuits it is just baked. Makes a pull apart jumble for a delicious breakfast bread.

He knows how to make it - that wasn't his question. His question was how to correct the dryness of it. I don't see a solution unless it's correcting at the time of re-heating.

RE: Pupu Platter

Pu Pu, Pu-Pu, and Pupu are different spellings for the Chinese phrase (probably originally Cantonese) for "little treasures" or "little jewels" which are basically one-bit appetizers. As you noted from the menu, they are served as a "platter" - so it will consist of several appetizers. Most places, they are served with a small charcoal burner where you can cook/heat some or all of the appetizers at the table, although some places serve the entire platter pre-cooked and "ready to eat" (it depends on the restaurant, local fire codes, and ventilation). If you want to know what/how you will be served - ask the waiter as it can change from restaurant to restaurant (it's not a fixed list). Obviously, a "take-out" pupu platter will probably be fully cooked and read-to-eat, while the dining-in experience might be somewhat different.

Before Ironchef shoots me ... there is a word in Hawaiian that means something similar - pū.pū - but an appetizer dish is only one of the meanings for this spelling. Look here for other similar spellings and meanings.

RE: Monkey Bread

If you had spent a little more time talking about the specific problems with the monkey bread and a little less time with naratives about unrelated things, and poor cutesy spelling and grammer, it might be easier to understand what you are really asking.

If your problem is that the biscuits are dry - they were over cooked. About the only thing you can do to add moisture back to them would be to "steam" them. As for flavor ... what do you expect canned biscuits, butter, sugar and cinnamon to tasts like?

You might be able to turn the monkey bread into a pretty decent bread pudding.
Or you could use pieces of it as a shortcake for cooked apples, pears, or peaches. Just slice the fruit, splash with lemon juice and stir to coat, then put in a skillet with melted butter. Add sugar, cinnamon, maybe raisons, and cook on medium heat until the fruit starts to release it's juices. Reduce heat and until fruit is tender.

When I lived in Hawaii, pupus referred to any appetizers. "Heavy pupus" meant enough appetizer-type food that it would qualify for a meal. Here on the mainland it usually refers to a dish served in Chinese restaurants, often with a sterno flame in the middle. It usually has shrimp toast, egg rolls, skewered meat, fried won ton, crab rangoon.

I do believe that 'pu pu' is an assortment of appetizers. Chinese restaurants in the Far East usually serve it as the first course (lunch or dinner can be a 10-course meal depending on how many people in the group and how much your stomach can take!). The mixed platter consists of cold appetizers either pickled, smoked or cooked.

The precooked and uncooked appetizers and "heavy pupus' that both Michael and Claire mentioned are known as "steamboat" or hot pot. It is a communal dish eaten in a variety of forms. It consists of a simmering pot of stock at the center of the dining table. While the hot pot which has a gas burner at the bottom (there are electric ones for home use) is kept simmering, ingredients are placed into the pot and are cooked at the table.Typical hot pot dishes include thinly sliced various type of meats, seafood, leafy vegetables, mushrooms and wontons. The cooked food is usually eaten with a dipping sauce.

thanks guys. the pu pu platter sounds really good maybe i will try it some time. i never was able to try and fix the monkey bread recipie but I really did like the idea of trying to make a bread pudding with it. I love u guys. :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom