5 pound Hershey Chocolate Bar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
LOL.....our youngest won a 5 pound Hershey Chocolate Bar on Easter. Now .... what the heck can I do with this.....its like 100 bars all made into one...LOL!

Can I freeze portions of it and pull it out when I want to bake? If so, what can I make with it.

No need to freeze, just keep it in a cool dark place. I'd use it in any recipe that calls for chips. Chocolate chunk cookies would be great!

Congrats on the Easter Trophy! Your son was probably very excited.
You definitely should check the expiration date. It would be more usable if you freeze it in smaller quantities. It can be frozen for six weeks.
I have found Easter chocolates in the bottom of my kids' bedroom drawers in mid July. Although it was wrapped and not melted, it was stale.
Have you considered making thumb print cookies for his class for the end of year party?
If you have a celebration coming up, you could use it in a chocolate fountain. You could also make a chocolate raisin pie with some of it.

Would it still be 'bad' if you used a food saver that vacuums the air out. I would think it would last for a very long time although I would still freeze it in chunks.

Last edited:
I love chocolate but this is even overwhelming for me...:LOL: . I think I'll leave out some and keep it in a cool place and vaccum seal the rest in smaller quantities. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Believe me Middie....when I first saw it I was drooling but then I admitted defeat before the battle began :LOL: . Oh believe me I'm saving some to just nibble on.

If you make cheescake;you can grate a 8oz portion and add to cheescake.
That's 1/2 pound gone. Nibble, send some to middie and others. Who does not like chocolate?

How about rolling out a sheet of puff pastry a bit; cut into smaller rectangles and on each place some shaved chocolate. Fold over and seal, then bake until golden; this should be close to some of the chocolate pastries that some places serve. By sealing and freezing; the chocolate should do very well for baking purposes; I am still working on 5 lbs. of Gherardelli semi-sweet that DH brought home some years ago. It is still good; just make sure to double seal it if you can.

Use it to make ganache.
Make Chocolate truffles.
Brownies.
Chocolate-dipped strawberries.
Bake a batch of peanut butter cookies (or your favorite cookie), and dip the baked cookies into melted chocolate.
Chocolate-covered raisins.
Chocolate-covered pretzels.
Get one of Jacque Torres' cookbooks and start teaching yourself advanced chocolatier work, like chocolate sculptures.

With this type of chocolate I can just melt it in a double broiler.... I don't have to add any cream or butter or anything do I?

Back
Top Bottom