5 Quart Crockpot Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guineapig0121

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone I just recently got a crockpot. I have looked up on google recipies for a 5 qt crock pot, but it's kind of difficult. I was wondering if anyone here had recipies for a 5 qt crock. I recently made Chili. It ended up turning out pretty good after I messed up. I wasn't sure at first if it was going to fit. Thank you!! I want to make something in my crockpot this weekend.

Nice recipes there, Andy. I may just have to get a crockpot. I took a look at one of the recipes, and it's something I wouldn't be able to do any other way.

I've been debating getting one and a nice small one doesn't cost too much.

Welcome to DC, Guinea Pig.

I made the seafood chili a couple times, both times I added Tony Chachere's cajun rub/shake and it really reminded me of a something like a seafood gumbo. I think I also used about 2-2.5# of seafood. I also added some mushrooms, iirc.

:: Cooking For Dads ::

this is a great breakfast. This is a plenty big but easy to do what you want. I added green peppers and mushrooms and only did about 1/2 of this recipe. Just use it as somewhat of a guide line. This talks about use'n a DO, but I used my 4qt CI enameled pan/pot and it worked great. I'm sure it would work fine in a crock pot, as long as you cook the meat before go'n into the pot.

Camping Recipe - Mountain Man Breakfast

Be sure to tell us what you make and take some pix! We want to see it!

This is a great one. The meat is so good I've been known to eat it plain lol.

Beef Enchiladas

4 lb roast (I usually look for a leaner cut)
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cumin seed
2 tsp. pepper
4 cups sliced onion
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans diced green chiles
1 T. oil
(can add a sliced green pepper if you like- I always do)

Brown roast in oil. Put roast in crick pot ad pour remaining ingredients on top. I usually do dry ingredients first. Cook on high for 5 hrs, shred meat using 2 forks. Serve in tortillas with desired toppings (shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream, enchilada sauce, etc.)

Copied and pasted! I think I have a roast at the bottom of the freezer and I'm saving this for when I get down that far.

Nice recipes there, Andy. I may just have to get a crockpot. I took a look at one of the recipes, and it's something I wouldn't be able to do any other way.

Z, with the way you and I like to cook, I wonder if you would even like a crockpot. I have one, but seldom use it unless I'll be away from the house all day. I really prefer using my dutch oven on top of the stove, where I have more control of the heat. Not only that, for some reason I often don't like the taste result from a crockpot....can't quite put my finger on it, but it has a "crockpot" flavor. Maybe I'm just weird. :wacko:

Welcome to DC, GP. :chef:

Z, with the way you and I like to cook, I wonder if you would even like a crockpot. I have one, but seldom use it unless I'll be away from the house all day. I really prefer using my dutch oven on top of the stove, where I have more control of the heat. Not only that, for some reason I often don't like the taste result from a crockpot....can't quite put my finger on it, but it has a "crockpot" flavor. Maybe I'm just weird. :wacko:

Welcome to DC, GP. :chef:

That's why I've been dithering (!) I love the smell of cooking on the stove. I love to play with it. Plus, I really don't have a lot of storage. Unless I get a step stool, which I'll have to do anyway.

I bought an over the door ironing board yesterday and you're supposed to put thin cardboard over the door and under the hanger/clamps/thingies, and I'm just not tall enough. I could roll my bed over and stand on that, but I do need a step stool to clean the picture window that goes all the way to the ceiling.

Said cooking steamed them up and the dribbles are noticeable now.

The top of my kitchen cabinets is open and with a step stool, I could have a place for the crock pot. The one thing I liked about the crockport I had long ago, was that I could leave something and forget about it, but it never burned. I really hate it when I've been making a big pot of say beans, and had a neighbor come visit and I'd forget about it until the neighbor asks what's burning. I have a poor sense of smell. All that work and food ruined. That kind of smoky taste is NOT good.

i have a new large one. i also have a two person one that i use a lot. just cooking for self most of the time. i get sick of leftovers so the little one comes in handy. will hold enough chicken thighs with bbq sauce for only a couple dinners. i haven't tried to make smaller versions of chili or of beans and ham. i have ribs in the large one now, put in lots of leeks and carrots . seasoned each layer and let her rip. will be enough for two meals and one or so meal in the freezer. you will enjoy whatever you buy, i am sure. :chef:

I love left overs, I wish our was a little bigger, but it will do for me to start out :)

Love Mexican Food

Skittle
Recipe looks great thanks for posting.

Josie

This is a great one. The meat is so good I've been known to eat it plain lol.

Beef Enchiladas

4 lb roast (I usually look for a leaner cut)
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cumin seed
2 tsp. pepper
4 cups sliced onion
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans diced green chiles
1 T. oil
(can add a sliced green pepper if you like- I always do)

Brown roast in oil. Put roast in crick pot ad pour remaining ingredients on top. I usually do dry ingredients first. Cook on high for 5 hrs, shred meat using 2 forks. Serve in tortillas with desired toppings (shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream, enchilada sauce, etc.)

Kayelle and Mollyanne, I am with you guys. It seems to give almost a metallic taste to whatever you are cooking.

That said, I use mine for potlucks--cook whatever I am going to cook, and put it in the crockpot for keeping it hot while serving.

I noticed that there is a new one with a locking lid--why did it take so long to figure that out? (Ask me about that chili stain on the carpet in the car.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom