"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
When you consider that all the New England states would fit into California more than two times over, that's a very very big area for just one comfort food. My state is understandably very diverse in the culinary world. I suppose the author chose "fish taco's" as a safe bet for this huge beautiful place. It's called "The Golden State" for good reason, my only home sweet home.
I too would find it hard to decide what constitutes a comfort food from California. Although I do remember reading about that "new" taco that was coming out of California. And folks were raving about it. I also remember reading that most food fads were started in California and moved East from there. Let's face it, you folks out there are very adventurous in your foods. We New Englanders tend to stick to our roots. Too bad. I get the feeling we are missing out on a lot of good food. Although if you go to Cambridge, you can find a restaurant of almost any ethnic group. The Pirate is one to be willing to try anything new you put in front of him. Me? I am just too stuck in my ways nowadays.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I too would find it hard to decide what constitutes a comfort food from California. Although I do remember reading about that "new" taco that was coming out of California. And folks were raving about it. I also remember reading that most food fads were started in California and moved East from there. Let's face it, you folks out there are very adventurous in your foods. We New Englanders tend to stick to our roots. Too bad. I get the feeling we are missing out on a lot of good food. Although if you go to Cambridge, you can find a restaurant of almost any ethnic group. The Pirate is one to be willing to try anything new you put in front of him. Me? I am just too stuck in my ways nowadays.
I must admit Addie, when we were nearly home after our 10,000 mile cruise, Steve wrote this in the story....

We landed in Cabo San Lucas Mexico, nearly home now and we each ate four of their famous Cabo fish taco's. It was the best food we had had in a month!

Yep, real comfort food for us.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #33
Head Chef

Taco Bell once served a fish taco, with a slice of lime. Biggest mistake they ever made, dropping that item.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #34
Master Chef

Here's a pretty good video of how to do easy grilled fish taco's, the Cabo way. I like mine with some sliced avacado too.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #35
Master Chef

Thanks for that link, Kay. I love my fish tacos with avocados, too. And there are so many ways to make them - grilled, battered and deep fried....

When I first read the author's opinion that fish tacos were CA's "comfort food", my first though was that I probably wouldn't have chosen fish tacos as a comfort food, given my memories of my mom's wonderful meat loaf with mashed potatoes and gravy, and my grandma's lemon meringue pie, etc.

Then I got to thinking about it, and remembered that every Friday night my dad would make tacos and other southwestern sides for dinner that would be called TexMex now, but at the time there wasn't a word for it. They are my go-to's for a fave dinner to this day.

I think the definition of comfort foods = nostalgia, of dishes that we grew up with, even though we change them a bit over the years.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:28 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Hmmmm I agree with the thought of someone who posted here. Are these really comfort foods or simply foods that each area is famous for? I can NOT imagine a list of comfort foods in the US that does not include Oreos!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #37
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
Hmmmm I agree with the thought of someone who posted here. Are these really comfort foods or simply foods that each area is famous for? I can NOT imagine a list of comfort foods in the US that does not include Oreos!!!
Ooh, deep fried Oreos! or Twinkies, or Mars bars, or ...
Old 08-21-2014, 12:35 AM   #38
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Ooh, deep fried Oreos! or Twinkies, or Mars bars, or ...
Yeah! Deep fried anything is going to be awesome!

Kgirl....suspend your disbelief and just think....deep friend Haupia! It can't be done!! But OMG! You could make big money on that, it you could engineer it out.

But for me, Lau Lau is the Hawaiian comfort food. Misunderstood.... and yet, so beautiful.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #39
Senior Cook

That was one sad-looking Philly Cheesesteak (heck, they even got the name wrong).
Old 08-22-2014, 12:45 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbuter View Post
That was one sad-looking Philly Cheesesteak (heck, they even got the name wrong).

Lol Dan! I thought the same thing! It didn't look like the Philly cheesesteaks I make!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Tags
food