50 Comfort Foods For 50 States

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
some states needed more than 1 choice.
jersey should have been a "taylor" ham, egg, and cheese on a bagel, not just a pork roll sandwich.

and buffalo wings for ny? maybe, but what about thin crust pizza, bagels and a schmear, and apple something?

some states needed more than 1 choice.
jersey should have been a "taylor" ham, egg, and cheese on a bagel, not just a pork roll sandwich....

:yum:
DH is from the Philly area and he LOVES Taylor ham egg and cheese on a hard roll... I still am in search of a hard roll here in the middle of the desert.
In Hawaii I could get the roll but not the Taylor ham :rolleyes::ohmy::wacko:

The first time I tasted it, I said, "hmmm, kinda like Spam"
OH! That didn't go over well :whistling

:LOL:
Ya know dan, Taylor's Ham (as DH calls it) here in AZ is pushing $10, and yet Spam is still under $3...some folks on the 'mainland' don't seem to care for Spam... can't figure why :yum:;)

I buy the Lite Spam. The original is just too salty for my taste. Great for a quick sandwich. :angel:

It's "Chicato style pizza", it's not all of Illinois. I grew up in Southern IL and we NEVER ate Chicago Style pizza.

I thought most of these were pretty accurate as far as what I've seen. Though I'm not sure I've eaten kugel, even though I'm from North Dakota. Not sure what I'd say the ND state comfort food would be, maybe hotdish.

Hotdish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I would put "hotdish" for MN. For ND...Rocky Mountain Oysters? :LOL: I glanced at this page:

Seems there are a fair number of Lutefisk and meatball Church suppers in ND.

http://heritagerenewal.org/suppers/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_North_Dakota

Last edited:
Last edited:
We lived close to the Minnesota border, and there was plenty of hotdish served! Swedish meatballs at church potlucks too. I think the Lutherans served lutefisk.
Where I grew up in MN, they still do! As does the Sons of Norway (only they rent the Episcopalian church basement!:LOL::LOL:).

SPAM and Hawaii

:LOL:
Ya know dan, Taylor's Ham (as DH calls it) here in AZ is pushing $10, and yet Spam is still under $3...some folks on the 'mainland' don't seem to care for Spam... can't figure why :yum:;)

When hubby and I were travelling the US in our camper, we stopped in Minnesota just to go to the SPAM museum. We'd lived off-and-on for ten years in Hawaii. After our pilgrimage to the museum, we sat in a local bar and commented on having to go to the SPAM museum because of our stints in Hawaii. The bartender said, "OMG! Really? I thought they just told us that SPAM was popular in Hawaii as propaganda!" Nope! Hawaiian pizza? Put away your Canadian bacon, and put on the SPAM. SPAM kabobs. SPAM and eggs. SPAM on your saimin. SPAM ... Threw a Hawaiian themed party here, and people were astonished that a feature dish was SPAM and pineapple kabobs. Actually, it was pretty popular with our 70+ year old crowd!

Very interesting. I didn't look at them all yet because I stopped at Connecticut, which is where I live. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or not. Steamed burger???!!! What the heck is that? All I know is, it sure isn't impressive. I've experienced many great burgers in Connecticut, but I guarantee that NONE of them were steamed. Maybe they steam them at MacDonald's? That's FAR from comforting. I think of comfort foods as things like beef stew and biscuits, or home made soup, or mac & cheese.

Very interesting. I didn't look at them all yet because I stopped at Connecticut, which is where I live. I don't know if I should be embarrassed or not. Steamed burger???!!! What the heck is that? All I know is, it sure isn't impressive. I've experienced many great burgers in Connecticut, but I guarantee that NONE of them were steamed. Maybe they steam them at MacDonald's? That's FAR from comforting. I think of comfort foods as things like beef stew and biscuits, or home made soup, or mac & cheese.

Yup! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujrhGVpM8os

And here ya go! :angel:

Back
Top Bottom