50 Comfort Foods For 50 States

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought most of these were pretty accurate as far as what I've seen. Though I'm not sure I've eaten kugel, even though I'm from North Dakota. Not sure what I'd say the ND state comfort food would be, maybe hotdish.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotdish

Last edited:
They hit Michigan right on the head! I was born & raised there, and lived there for 40 years. I like whitefish just fine, but it certainly isn't representative of the State. When I go home, the first thing have to do is get a Coney! I talk to transplanted Michiganders all the time, and the one thing we all miss is coneys.

I lived in Michigan for from age 4 to age 22 and never heard of a Coney, except as associated with Coney dogs from Coney Island in New York. A fish fry would be more likely, imo.

Thank you to the OP for sharing the video. It was interesting, and of course subjective. A better title might have been 50 foods associated with 50 States ;). I would never consider Cedar plank salmon a "comfort food", and IMO nothing beats fresh from the shell Dungeness crab, not even Salmon, which I love, still don't consider it comfort food though. ;). Like GG said, and I paraphrase here, we all think our state is the best. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

They hit Michigan right on the head! I was born & raised there, and lived there for 40 years. I like whitefish just fine, but it certainly isn't representative of the State. When I go home, the first thing have to do is get a Coney! I talk to transplanted Michiganders all the time, and the one thing we all miss is coneys.

Unfortunately, Coney's aren't a big thing in the U.P. Up here, it's the whitefish, Walleye, and pasties that steel the show, and the Cuhdagi sausage. In my home town, there is nothing quite as glorious though as the pizza pastie. Thing 9 inch pizza, with your favorite fillings and sauce, folded into a half circle and baked to perfection. Calzones aren't the same thing. Empenada's aren't like a pizza pastie either. They are amazing, and I haven't seem them anywhere else. Everyone in Michigan should have the chance to eat them. But I guess they couldn't be considered a comfort food. They are too exciting as an eating experience to be comfortable.:mrgreen:.

Real Michigan comfort foods, all made with home grown Michigan fruit - Apple Pie, Cherry Pie, Blueberry Pie. Nothing better on the planet!

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When you consider that all the New England states would fit into California more than two times over, that's a very very big area for just one comfort food. My state is understandably very diverse in the culinary world. I suppose the author chose "fish taco's" as a safe bet for this huge beautiful place. It's called "The Golden State" for good reason, my only home sweet home.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Coney's aren't a big thing in the U.P. Up here, it's the whitefish, Walleye, and pasties that steel the show, and the Cuhdagi sausage. In my home town, there is nothing quite as glorious though as the pizza pastie. Thing 9 inch pizza, with your favorite fillings and sauce, folded into a half circle and baked to perfection. Calzones aren't the same thing. Empenada's aren't like a pizza pastie either. They are amazing, and I haven't seem them anywhere else. Everyone in Michigan should have the chance to eat them. But I guess they couldn't be considered a comfort food. They are too exciting as an eating experience to be comfortable.:mrgreen:.

Real Michigan comfort foods, all made with home grown Michigan fruit - Apple Pie, Cherry Pie, Blueberry Pie. Nothing better on the planet!

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Having grown up in Boston's other Little Italy, Monday was bean sandwiches for brown bag school lunches. Thursday was Calzone BB lunches. Only because Friday was no meat, just fish. Calzones usually had Italian cold cuts and cheeses, or leftover meatballs/sausages with a small amount of gravy from the night before supper. I have never been a fan of store bought Calzones because they are mostly bread with very little filling. When made at home, they bread dough is rolled out much thinner.

Chief, did you forget your cranberry crop? It can give Massachusetts a run for the money in total poundage. :angel:

When you consider that all the New England states would fit into California more than two times over, that's a very very big area for just one comfort food. My state is understandably very diverse in the culinary world. I suppose the author chose "fish taco's" as a safe bet for this huge beautiful place. It's called "The Golden State" for good reason, my only home sweet home.

I too would find it hard to decide what constitutes a comfort food from California. Although I do remember reading about that "new" taco that was coming out of California. And folks were raving about it. I also remember reading that most food fads were started in California and moved East from there. Let's face it, you folks out there are very adventurous in your foods. We New Englanders tend to stick to our roots. Too bad. I get the feeling we are missing out on a lot of good food. Although if you go to Cambridge, you can find a restaurant of almost any ethnic group. The Pirate is one to be willing to try anything new you put in front of him. Me? I am just too stuck in my ways nowadays. :angel:

I too would find it hard to decide what constitutes a comfort food from California. Although I do remember reading about that "new" taco that was coming out of California. And folks were raving about it. I also remember reading that most food fads were started in California and moved East from there. Let's face it, you folks out there are very adventurous in your foods. We New Englanders tend to stick to our roots. Too bad. I get the feeling we are missing out on a lot of good food. Although if you go to Cambridge, you can find a restaurant of almost any ethnic group. The Pirate is one to be willing to try anything new you put in front of him. Me? I am just too stuck in my ways nowadays. :angel:

I must admit Addie, when we were nearly home after our 10,000 mile cruise, Steve wrote this in the story....

We landed in Cabo San Lucas Mexico, nearly home now and we each ate four of their famous Cabo fish taco's. It was the best food we had had in a month!

Yep, real comfort food for us.

Thanks for that link, Kay. I love my fish tacos with avocados, too. And there are so many ways to make them - grilled, battered and deep fried....:yum:

When I first read the author's opinion that fish tacos were CA's "comfort food", my first though was that I probably wouldn't have chosen fish tacos as a comfort food, given my memories of my mom's wonderful meat loaf with mashed potatoes and gravy, and my grandma's lemon meringue pie, etc.

Then I got to thinking about it, and remembered that every Friday night my dad would make tacos and other southwestern sides for dinner that would be called TexMex now, but at the time there wasn't a word for it. :) They are my go-to's for a fave dinner to this day.

I think the definition of comfort foods = nostalgia, of dishes that we grew up with, even though we change them a bit over the years.

Last edited:
Hmmmm I agree with the thought of someone who posted here. Are these really comfort foods or simply foods that each area is famous for? I can NOT imagine a list of comfort foods in the US that does not include Oreos!!!

Ooh, deep fried Oreos! or Twinkies, or Mars bars, or ... ;)

Yeah! Deep fried anything is going to be awesome!

Kgirl....suspend your disbelief and just think....deep friend Haupia! It can't be done!! But OMG! You could make big money on that, it you could engineer it out. :w00t2:

But for me, Lau Lau is the Hawaiian comfort food. Misunderstood.... and yet, so beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom