50 Comfort Foods For 50 States

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:ermm: Gee, the only dish that I've never heard of nor tried is Montana's Meat Pastry.
We spent sometime driving through Montana and I can't recall seeing that,
but MAN that looks delicious!

But oh my gravy, a big YEAH to the Loco Moco!

myshaka.JPG

That's quite a list.

I imagine it will be quite interesting to our friends here at DC that don't live in the States.

The only one I've never had or heard of is "Hot Brown" from Kentucky. Can anyone here clue me in on that one?

Welcome to DC. You are going to have a lot of fun here. Lots of laugh, and lots of imformation. Whether you need or want it, or not. :angel:

In every part of Michigan except the large cities, the comfort food is whitefish, prepared either baked, or beer batter fried. Now that's not my go to comfort food, but anywhere I've been in Michigan, its top. In the Middle U.P. it's the Cudaghi sandwich, or a pastie. In my home town, it's the West Pier Drive In hamburger, or the King's Pizza Pizza Pastie, and amazing thing that's worth coming here for. I've searched. No one else makes them.

Other than those things, the list looks pretty great, and fairly accurate.:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Enjoyable video and hit some of my favorite comfort foods: Lobster/shrimp rolls in Maine and Nova Scotia, Hot Browns (I had one in the Louisville airport and it was about a week's worth of calories) Peach cobbler in Georgia is right on. It, along with banana pudding is a staple at most barbecue joints. Salmon in Washington is also perfect and the best is smoked with Alder wood. I know they didn't mention Puerto Rico but I have some friends from there and chicken and rice with pesto sauce is an island staple. I was surprised that Nebraska didn't feature steak because that is right in the heart of steak country. Oklahoma's chicken-fried steak is one of my all-time favorites.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd have chosen New England clam chowder for Massachusetts. Boston Cream Pie and Parker House Rolls were both created here in MA.

I'm not sure I'd have chosen New England clam chowder for Massachusetts. Boston Cream Pie and Parker House Rolls were both created here in MA.

I agree with you Andy. And both were created in the same restaurant. The Parker House. A very famous policital gathering spot. Where all the deals were made and still are. N.E. Clam Chowder denotes a large section of the country, not a state. :angel:

Having grown up in Wisconsin, I don't agree with the choice of fried cheese curds, either. First of all, in the upper midwest, fried cheese curds are relatively commonplace. They are generally considered fair food, although you can also get them at any A&W or Culver's restaurant. FRESH cheese curds, on the other hand, are rarely found outside of Wisconsin. I have yet to have a fresh cheese curd in Minnesota. You sometimes find cheese curds in the cheese section in Minnesota grocery stores, but I can assure you that they are most certainly not fresh.

I would argue that the Bratwurst rules as king of the comfort foods in Wisconsin. Beer Cheese Soup with Popcorn Croutons is probably a close second. Cheese Curds, fresh or fried, are more along the line of snacks, and not something you would sit down and eat for a meal.

Last edited:
I think it was created by someone who did a quick Internet search and didn't do any real research into comfort foods in the various states. Popular foods, maybe, but comfort foods? Nah.

I agree with you Andy. And both were created in the same restaurant. The Parker House. A very famous policital gathering spot. Where all the deals were made and still are. N.E. Clam Chowder denotes a large section of the country, not a state. :angel:

Hee hee! Just had to chuckle. New England is a large section of the country? Might want to check a map. There are a lot of states that are larger than New England ;)

I think many of us can agree we'd choose something else to represent our state...I wouldn't have chosen fish taco's for California, but we didn't make the video either. :cool::rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom