"51 Sensational Foods America Gave The World"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Overall, I think it's a pretty good list. Obviously there are likely to be many regional foods that people will argue should be added.

The only two things I thought should be on the list (and maybe they were and I just missed them) are pulled pork and barbecued ribs. I consider both to be foods that have their origins here.

BBQ ribs, especially, from down south, is the most incredible invention since the chainsaw... I think I need to book a flight to Texas.

RD

Did they miss potatoes? Technically, those came from the Americas, although not specifically from North America.

Early settlers in America thought tomatoes were poisonous and wouldn't eat them.

The donut thing was interesting. In Farmer Boy, Laura Ingalls Wilder states that Almanzo's mother made twisted donuts because they turned themselves over in the grease. His mother also said women were making a new-fangled kind of donut now, round with a hole in the middle, but they didn't turn themselves over and she was too busy to do that.

I would be interested to learn if that was really the case or if it was just something added to the book to make it interesting.

How many people here still use the spelling of doughnut or doughnought?

I was going to mention that "America" is fairly broad, North, Central and South.

To me, if it's singular, it's the USA. If it's plural (the Americas), it's North, Central and South America.

I believe the intent of the article is America (singular).

To me, if it's singular, it's the USA. If it's plural (the Americas), it's North, Central and South America.

It does depend on the definition one is using. In times past, much of the current southwestern United States was part of Mexico. And the Iroquois, who (among others, I think) grew the Three Sisters (corn, squash and beans) lived in the current United States.

I would agree with that Andy, however Canada is sure in North America.

It could be just me, but I don't think of Mexico as being part of Central America, but I guess it is?

When I hear about the foods of America, I take it to mean the United States of America. That's not an offense to the rest of the countries on the continents referred to collectively as "The Americas". The fact that the country's name is the same, in part, as the names of the continents we share, makes it more open to confusion.

Certainly, Canada is part of North America.

Peanuts! Sorry if that is on the first list linked, but I am home from work, again haven't had time to look/read.

When I hear about the foods of America, I take it to mean the United States of America. That's not an offense to the rest of the countries on the continents referred to collectively as "The Americas". The fact that the country's name is the same, in part, as the names of the continents we share, makes it more open to confusion.

Certainly, Canada is part of North America.

Now I know that Mexico is indeed part of North America, not to mention Canada, it's likely important to mention the USA when talking about recipes of our country, rather than those of North America in general.

BBQ ribs, especially, from down south, is the most incredible invention since the chainsaw... I think I need to book a flight to Texas.

RD

If you are talking about pork ribs, Texas ain't the place! Try Memphis, St. Louis or Kansas City.;)

Back
Top Bottom