6 cakes in 6 days; all fell flat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Silly me.

Garey, you can also get instuctions and answers if you click on FAQ in the menu.

Ok I tried creaming the crisco, adding sugar slowly, then beating eggs extract then adding to crisco and sugar slowly. then added flour I also added about a tea spoon of baking soda, and I sifted the flour and using a 1cup measuring cup with straight edge swiping the top. did it two times for two cups,
Cake rose high, then fell straight to hell, 7th cake also a disaster, I never opened the oven untill time was up.
All the cakes have risen high on the cake pan, you can see after it is cooked, then you can see where the sides of the cake fell into the top of the cake.
Seven strike outs, if it falls a tenth time I'll never bake another cake, back to the BBQ grill for me. I am fixing a T-Bone potatoes, and corn.

I have three more tries

:LOL: awww.... Maybe it's time to try another recipe... :LOL:
Pound cake isn't supposed to rise that high anyways, it's not a "puffy" cake...
I hope you found a way to get it how you wanted though!

I know this doesn't quite help with your current recipe, but when I'm making pound cake/cupcakes, I use the Martha Stewart one, and just adjust to my own tastes... I love the brown sugar in it... When I want to make a full cake, I just put it in a cake pan instead of a cupcake pan...

Here's the recipe:
(click here for the link, or just view it below)

brown sugar pound cupcakes
Ingredients

Makes 29
  • 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
  • 4 large eggs, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • Brown-Butter Glaze
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Make cupcakes as directed in Basic Cupcake How-To, using buttermilk for wet ingredient. Fill each cup 3/4 full, and bake for 25 minutes.
  2. Set rack with cupcakes over a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spoon glaze over tops, and let stand until set. Serve glazed cupcakes immediately.
Brown butter glaze:
Ingredients

Makes 1 cup
  • 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 to 4 tablespoons whole milk
Directions

1. Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Carefully pour butter into a bowl, leaving sediment behind.
  2. Add sugar, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons milk to butter, and stir until smooth. If glaze is too thick, add more milk. Use immediately.

Ok I took a few pic of the pound cake for Tim or piccolo5 to check out, I do not know how to navigate around this site. but that is fine, I posted 4 pictures. Today it is cool near Atlanta GA. It is Mothers day, My mom and grandmother are gone, I am 57 and will be 58 in Dec 7, 2010 nope I am 58 hahahah Happy Mothersday to all you Mothers out there. I am trying a new Crisco pound cake recipe later today.

Aww, come on now Gary........there have been so many people who have tried to help you with your recipe. No doubt your recipe is flawed, likely by way of your cousin from your grandma. I'm not a baker, but I'd want a butter poundcake anyway.
Take a rest, and I have a wet cloth for your forehead, and a glass of wine to help you feel better.
;)

Garey,

you may not be a baker yet, but you obviously have the persistence and determination needed to become one. here's how to make a traditonal pound cake, probably pretty close to what your grandmother used to make.

first, they're called "pound" cakes for a reason which will be obvious. similarly, in french the name translates to mean "four fourths". here's the recipe. it'll make two 2-pound cakes.

1 pound butter
1 pound sugar
1 pound eggs (probably 8)
1 pound flour
1 teaspoon or so of vanilla
1 or 2 shots of brandy (optional but recommended)

there are a number of ways to go about putting it together, but i'll start with the tradional approach for a denser pound cake, and later explain a couple of ways to make it lighter.

here's what to do:
1. prep your pans. butter and flouring your pans will do it. but if you want to go the whole 9 yards, grease a couple of loaf pans, cut out and insert wax paper to fit, and then butter and flour the waxed paper.

2. sift the flour 3 times. (and in case you happen to use unsalted butter, sift in maybe 1/2 teaspoon of salt)

3. using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until it is soft and well aerated. your butter should be right out of the fridge. if it's room temperature and so soft it'll barely holds its shape, it won't hold much air. (picture trying to beat salad oil until it's "fluffy")

4. one at a time, add the eggs and completely beat them in before adding the next.

5. beat in the vanilla and brandy.

6. preheat your oven to 350°F

7. sift about 1/4 of the flour onto the mixture and GENTLY FOLD it in. do not just stir or beat it in. if you're not too sure how to fold it in, google it or watch a couple of cake demo's on youtube (try searching for julia childs videos or something) sift and fold in the remaining flour a quarter at a time.

8. fill your pans, pop them into the oven and bake. place them about in the center of your oven or slightly below. don't place them at the very top of the oven. depending on the size of the pans you use and how deeply they are filled, it could take anywhere from about 50 minutes to up to 75 minutes. i noticed in your picture that you had used a bundt pan, and these may take a little less time. don't quote me on that though. just keep a weather eye open. at 50 minutes, take a very quick peek to make sure they aren't burning. once you notice that the centers have peaked, give them another 5 - 10 minutes. insert a toothpick, and if it comes out clean, the cakes are done. do all this checking as quickly as possible, so that if the cakes are not quite done, the oven remains hot and you can give them another 5 or 10 minutes.

9. when done, take the cakes out of the oven and cool in the pans for 10 - 15 minutes. then take them out of the pans and finish cooling on wire racks.

ok. now for the variations.

the old time way to make a slightly less dense cake would be to separate your eggs. use the yolks as above. when it's time to add the flour, beat the egg whites to a soft peak. if you beat them too stiffly, the individual bubbles will pop and lose more air. fold in 2 quarter of the flour as per above. then fold in half the whites, the other 2 quarters of the flour, and finally the last of whites.

the other way to make a lighter cake would be to sift in between 1 and 2 teaspoons of baking powder with the flour.

for a fruitcake, you can mix in up to an equal amount (4 pounds) of dried fruits and nuts. typical would be about 3/4 fruit and 1\4 nuts. i like using candied lemon and orange peel, dried cranberries, raisins and pecans, but anything that floats your boat is fine.

finally, you can loosely cover the mouth of a bottle of brandy with your thumb and add some to all six sides of the cakes. wrap well and store for at least a few weeks. fruit cakes can last for years if stored in a cool and dry place and refreshed with a little brandy once a year or so to keep them moist. i currently have a couple that i made about 1 1/2 years ago, as well as 4 i recently made for the next holiday season.

hope this helps and best of luck on your quest ;)

Philso, I sure hope Gary sees this. I for one, am going to print out your wonderful detailed instructions and recipe. I don't bake either, because of so many baking disasters, but after reading this, I just may give it another shot. :)
This sounds like the perfect butter pound cake......no wonder it's called "pound cake"!!

Thank you.

Philso: WOW!!!!!!!! I am SO going to try this, you gave such a great detailed list of what to do, and how to do it! Amazing!!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom