"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

A beginner question

Hi, I put garlic and oil in the pan then how should I add tomatos that left over with some water on it (After I cut it in this mixer) so the oil won't jump over? I saw some videos on Youtube they caught the tomatos in the mixer but didn't take off any water and all was fine

Old 10-13-2013, 04:04 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Maybe try using a lower heat setting on the pan before you put the tomatoes in and dump in all the tomatoes at once.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Hi before I put the tomatoes I will put in the garlic and union and it takes for some reason some time until I see it got the brown color but I will try to lower the heat a bit and see what happens thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
Maybe try using a lower heat setting on the pan before you put the tomatoes in and dump in all the tomatoes at once.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Senior Cook

If you pour the liquid in from one side it will rapidly turn to steam (hence keeping to one side so you don't steam yourself) and cool the pan, then just dump the rest in. Unless your heat is VERY high - and if it is taking a long time to brown the onions it probably isn't - there shouldn't be any oil popping.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You don't need a lot of oil with garlic and high temperatures will scorch it making it and your final dish taste burnt. Not tasty at all.

One of my biggest faults when I was learning to cook was being in a rush and using too high temperatures. I hate scrubbing burnt on food from pans, so I gradually learned to take it slower and be more gentle with my food, and got much better results.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersa View Post
Hi, I put garlic and oil in the pan then how should I add tomatos that left over with some water on it (After I cut it in this mixer) so the oil won't jump over? I saw some videos on Youtube they caught the tomatos in the mixer but didn't take off any water and all was fine
shalom flowersa!!
try putting the oil in a COLD pan,add the garlic & then turn on the heat.as the garlic starts to "fizz" in the oil then add the tomatoes.the garlic will start to "fizz" at a fairly low temperature so adding the tomatoes at that point will not only stop the garlic burning but should also stop the tomatoes from spattering.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Heat the pan. Add the oil to a hot pan. Add the onions to the hot oil in the hot pan, cook the onions until they are soft and just starting to turn colour. Add the garlic and allow only 30 seconds for the garlic to cook. Slowly add the tomato so that it doesn't spatter. This is the point where you might want to reduce the heat so you don't boil away all that delicious tomato juice.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Hi Harry you're the first one to notice I'm from Israel HeHe Shalom to you
I'll try to do what you wrote I guess I will handle it better and not when the pan gets hot and so the rest of the elements
thanks to you and all who nicely help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
shalom flowersa!!
try putting the oil in a COLD pan,add the garlic & then turn on the heat.as the garlic starts to "fizz" in the oil then add the tomatoes.the garlic will start to "fizz" at a fairly low temperature so adding the tomatoes at that point will not only stop the garlic burning but should also stop the tomatoes from spattering.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersa View Post
Hi Harry you're the first one to notice I'm from Israel HeHe Shalom to you
I'll try to do what you wrote I guess I will handle it better and not when the pan gets hot and so the rest of the elements
thanks to you and all who nicely help
the clue was in your location flowers!give it a try,i think the only problem you have had is that the oil has been too hot.let me know how you get on please
harry

Tags
beginner