A budding French chef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mignon

Cook
I'm a Northern male who doesn't doesn't know how to cook so don't ask what I was trying to do. Roughly, I became enamored with the idea of cooking "Hoppin' John." I bought two fresh ham hocks and sorta following directions, placed one .75 lb. hock in approximately a qt. of water and after bringing the water to a boil, reduced the heat to barely a simmer. Five hours later, I remembered I was supposed to be cooking. When I raised the lid, everything looked fine. Wishing to skim the fat, I refrigerated the liquid after removing the hock.

Later when I removed the liquid, I was pleased to see the fat had solidified and was easy to skim. What was left, staggered me. It was light brown and thicker than Jello. I was stumped as to what it was, or what to do with it. Have I invented a new food?

The cooking extracted the gelatin in the bone as the flavor of the hock wa extracted into the water.

What you have is a tasty ham stock. The gelatin will melt when heated.

Continue with your hoppin' John recipe.

Have I invented a new food?
Nope, but you have discovered something wonderful. When people talk about stock this is what they are talking about. When cold it will be like jello, but when heated will turn into liquid again.

While your information is pleasing, I'm disappointed I wont go down in history books as an innovative chef. I'm still stunned by how powerful the single foot of a pig is. What is the lesson to be learned here, did I simmer too long? Can I save any of this savory gelatin to flavor something else? I'm going to take your advice and continue with the black-eyed peas.

Time to make hoppin john!!!! :chef:

You probably simmered only a wee bit too long but as long as you had liquid left and the pan didn't burn up you're ok. It takes a bit to get that little bit of meat nice and tender. Please tell me you removed that from the hock and didn't throw it away! That will flavor your Hoppin' John too!

If you want to freeze the geletin you can use it as part of your stock for a split pea soup, or a minestrone. I use smoked ham hocks in my minestrone all the time.

Last edited:
There's still time to make the history books.

You did not simmer too long. This is supposed to happen. Make the recipe. The stock will provide greast flavor and a better mouth feel from the gelatin.

Yes, I certainly did keep that hock, and I did extract the small amount of meat like a brain surgeon. I must have the instincts of a great cook. At the rate I'm progressing, I may open a southern cuisine retaurant as owner chef. Would you believe that aside from making toast, I was useless in the kitchen?

Maybe you should start out cooking for family and friends before you go for the restaurant.

Andy,

Are you kidding me or what, did you think I was serious with that restaurant crack? I'm just having funning around — I was so delighted that I could boil water successfully that my imagination went wild. Trust me, my family and friends wouldn't be caught dead eating anything I cooked, and if I cooked for paying customers, I'd be arrested.

You can't hear that dry sense of humor in Andy's post? :LOL:

It sounds like, to me anyway, you are doing better than you think. Did you make the hoppin john?

I'm ashamed to say, that not only am I not gifted as a cook, I have a tin ear, I hope Andy forgives me.

As for my Hoppin' John, I was a little disappointed. My recipe called for adding the rice up front with the black eyes, but next time I'm going to do the rice separately. In fact — this might be sacrilegious — I think I'd like the black eyes without rice. Also, I think I put in too much crushed red pepper (half teaspoon), this is powerful stuff. However, it's great for the sinuses.

It's fairly common that a first try doesn't turn out perfect. I've eaten a lot of mistakes in my time.

Keep trying and take notes so you don't make the same mistake twice.

I have made MY version of hoppin john for years and I also mix my rice with everything else towards the end and then heat up together. I also find it best to let my rice cool completely (make day before) and then use it. I'm sure there are plenty out there that would tell me mine isn't really hoppin john - poetic license I think they would call it! :LOL:

I've never really made Hoppin' John. That's traditionally a New Year's Eve dish, for good luck, in the South. Here in OK, where I'm from, we traditionally do just Black-eyed Peas for New Year's. My other half, PeppA, is from Michigan. Many years ago, she came down to visit over New Year's. I made Black-eyed Peas, Fried Potatoes, and Cornbread. She had never had the peas before, her mother does fried potatoes extremely differently than I do, and they use Jiffy for cornbread, while I make cornbread completely from scratch.

Needless to say, PeppA had her eyes opened when she tasted it! Of course, she still prefers fried taters and cornbread they way she makes it. But, she's not to fond of beans or black-eyed peas. Different strokes for different folks.

Keep working on the Hoppin' John recipe. Take notes each time you make it. This is one of the reasons why I like computers for storing recipes. I can write a recipe, make it, make notes, as well as changes. Eventually, I will arrive at what I think of as a "perfect" recipe.

There must be scores of Hoppin' John recipes that titillate different folks, but I'm hoping to cook a version of it I like that doesn't do violence to the southern tradition. My last effort was more pleasing than the first, I think I'm getting there. My recipe is as follows:

1 meaty smoked ham hock
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/4 t. crushed red pepper
1 c. black-eyed peas
1/2 c. rice
salt, pepper, and water to cover

Briefly, I soaked the peas overnight and placed them in a small stock pot with the hock, onions, bell peppers, crushed red pepper, S&P, and enough water to generously cover the beans. Brought it all to a boil and then lowered the heat to a bare simmer. Although the peas didn't take long to cook, I kept the pot going for 3 hours until the hocks were reduced to skin and bones and a spot of meat. I rescued the meat and ditched the rest. I had enough pot liquor left to do my rice separately which ended very tasty on its own.

Well, the bottom line is, I served myself the black eyes on a mound of rice with a small green salad and a tooth chilling bottle of ale, and almost ate one of my fingers in my zeal.

I may try this next time in one trip, that is to say, throw the rice in with the peas toward the end.

Since I make it mostly on New Year's Day I just make an all-in-one dish...i.e., I add my cooked collards, cubed country style ribs, black-eyed peas, caramelized onions, green pepper...toss everything together at the end. I then sprinkle on some freshly chopped cilantro and a dollop of sour cream...and sometimes a sprinkling of grated cheese, either monterey jack or a combination of same and cheddar. I also like a bit of cumin in mine. I have been known to top with pico de gallo too - what can I say, I love Mexican AND hoppin' john :chef:

kitchenelf:

Oh, wow! Have you ever broadened my horizon. I've never eaten collards, but I've thought about it. Dare I try them next time? Yes, I think will, and I love the idea of caramelizing the onions. I'm not sure about the sour cream — never had it. And I'm not too big on Mexican stuff — no familiarity, but I'm branching out from steak and potatoes with a vengeance.

My immediate need is for a basic, unfancy corn bread recipe. I've seen some contrived concoctions with enough exotic ingredients to choke a horse. This is simple, regional, country food, and that's the way I'd like to keep it.

All you do with the collards is remove the big rib in the middle. Stack leaves on top of each other, roll like a cigar, and slice in about 1/2" slices. The process of stacking and slicing like this is called "chiffonade" and can be done with any leafy something - basil probably being the most popular.

Wash the leaves after cutting but leave the water on them. I don't use pork fat but I do use about an inch of a stronger beef base in the pot and a medium dousing of light olive oil or canola oil (if you are using 1 big bunch of greens I'd say 3 TBS of oil. Medium heat - stir occasionally - they will wilt a LOT. Put a lid on the pot and let them cook about 45 minutes to an hour. It does NOT take hours and hours like used to be done. Towards the end a nice sprinkling of kosher salt.

Now, some will say sprinkle with apple cider vinegar, or even white vinegar. When I cook mine for a VERY long time I like the vinegar. When I cook them like I mentioned above they are wonderful without the vinegar. I even love them cold out of the fridge.

At this point is where you can just toss them with your hoppin' john. Also, if the leaves are REALLY big, you can cut them more into squares - that's a good choice for the hoppin' john. The way I do this is after I chiffonade them I make another cut down the sides so the "ribbons" aren't so long.

Where are you from?

Good grief, collards must be tough as nails. I can scarcely believe you can cook any vegetable for as long as you suggest without it disappearing into the liquid. If it can handle that much simmering, maybe it can go into the pot up front with the peas? I'd like them to be the consistency of spinach, if possible.

Indeed, as a side dish alone, I'd love to cook them as you've suggested, and then season with S&P, and dress with olive oil, and a squeeze or two of lemon juice (I'd set aside a portion to season with olive oil and cider vinegar to see which I liked best).

To answer your question: I'm originally from New York, which I believed to be the epicenter of the world.

Back
Top Bottom