A cookie question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvmonkey75

Assistant Cook
When I was in elementary school there was this chocolate chip cookie. It was the best thing I've ever eatin. Then one day they just stopped serving it. They replaced them with these nasty cookies that were like playdough. So I was wondering if anybody lived in the Los Angeles area in the 90's and who has had these cookies. I NEED to find them again!

LOL, interesting request and think you're gonna have to do some investigative work if you want an answer, because even if anybody here had those cookies in the time frame, they're not gonna know the recipe.
If you're really driven to find out the recipe, I can make suggestions about what I think I'd try given the situation as 'known'.
LA unified school district as you know is huge, so I'd try to find head office and ask for the school meals section.
If you find somebody cooperative, that would be nice, and I think maybe very lucky!
If not, I think I might say that I was a journalist for (?) magazine, doing an article on school meals in the 90s as compared to today and that you'd like to feature some of the bygone recipes like for chocolate chip cookies.
Just a thought, hope you'll let us know what you wind up doing.

Thanks alot for your response. I think I might try it I'll keep you guys updated.

check out the local newspapers for the food section and see if they have a forum.
Our local paper in Upstate NY has a section on wednesday called recipe swap and people write in for all types of questions. Lost recipes, where to find items, etc.
you might get some who worked at the school that could give you info.

Ok I found the place that made the cookie. They changed the recipe and wont give me the old one. Now I have no idea what to do.

It's funny how foods from our youth sometimes call to us.

About thirty or forty years ago, Roy Rogers restaurants had a brownie. It was an odd brownie, in that it actually tasted a bit like chocolate and tobacco. I had been craving one for ages. Tried mostly unsuccessfully to reverse engineer it, and actually found a very similar one put out by Little Debbie.

So, keep trying mass market cookies. You may get lucky. Even if you don't, you'll be getting lots of cookies. Yum.

I don't know how ANY chocolate chip cookie recipe could EVER be any better than Nestle's Original Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe right on the back of the chip's package.

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

I've been trying to remake this cookie for years now. It's really hard to describe. I had a cookie once that had a hint of the flavor and it said it had wheat flower in it so I tried that and it was no good. It was crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside and had almost a graham cracker taste to it. SOOO hard to describe. You'd just have to try it.

I don't know how ANY chocolate chip cookie recipe could EVER be any better than Nestle's Original Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe right on the back of the chip's package...
I agree! And now I am in the mood for chocolate chip cookies!

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom