A cool way to separate egg yolks, and recycle too!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just pick up the yolk and separate from the white between my fingers. (Wash hands well first and between each egg). But, I am working with very fresh eggs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz2Vnp5ZW4c

Video isn't in English but it's pretty self-explanatory. The real action starts about 25 seconds in. :chef:

:LOL: unbelievable! Gotta try it for my next carbonara.

I just pick up the yolk and separate from the white between my fingers. (Wash hands well first and between each egg). But, I am working with very fresh eggs.

Thank you very very much, CWS4322. Here is my problem: I remembered seeing somebody separating them with fingers, but I thought I just have dreamed it, not really seen it. Now I'm in peace with myself. :)

:LOL: unbelievable! Gotta try it for my next carbonara.

Thank you very very much, CWS4322. Here is my problem: I remembered seeing somebody separating them with fingers, but I thought I just have dreamed it, not really seen it. Now I'm in peace with myself. :)
Jacques Pepin always did it that way on his cooking show and the show he was on with Julia Child...that may be what you remember. It works.

Jacques Pepin always did it that way on his cooking show and the show he was on with Julia Child...that may be what you remember. It works.

Thanks CWS4322, I really can't remember where i saw it, but I watch too many things on the web, need to cut this down :(
I think I'll try with the bottle method first, it looks so amusing :)

That is amazing and I can't wait to try it. Now to think of something I need separated eggs for.

Egg yolks for ice cream, cremé brulee, mayonnaise, Bearnaise and Hollandaise sauces. Egg whites for angel food cake, lemon meringue pie and cholesterol free omelets (you'll need one f you make all that other stuff).

Don't forget avgolemono sauce, egg drop soup, and various fillings/stuffings too for the yolks.

Last edited:
Tonight I tried this method of separating eggs. I tried it on 3 sizes of eggs and found that on a grade AA large egg it works perfectly. On an extra large egg, while the bottle will suck up the yolk, it may also break it. Even broken, the yolk stays in the bottle.

Finally I tried this on some medium eggs and it also worked well, in fact, I was able to suck up several yolks without emptying the bottle so I ended up with a bowl full of whites and a bottle full of yolks. I then shook the bottle to "beat" the eggs and poured the yolks in a thin stream into my pot of cooking soup (a la eggdrop soup). Cool experiment - btw - the egg completely wrecked my sunchoke soup ;)

Still fun....

I showed it to Mrs Hoot..we are both impressed with this technique!!
Ever' time I hear the term "separate two eggs"...I can't help but remember Curly from the Three Stooges in the kitchen shaving ice and then preparing a turkey for dinner....It's hilarious. A Classic!
Later on, Shemp recreated the bit in another short called "Listen, Judge". The video below is a mite long (and colorized, dag nab it) but it is funny!

An Ache In Every Stake Part II (1941) (IN COLOR) - YouTube

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom