"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-11-2005, 04:29 AM   #11
Executive Chef

kyles
It must be a Lancastrian thing about not being able to get fresh ingredients. I have LOADS of Asian stores to choose from - where you can get every kind of fresh and dried Indian type of ingredient. The smells are quite wonderful. I buy coriander by the bucketful as I find it makes a really good alternative to sickly pot pourri as an airfreshener!

Small mediterranean cucumbers are available at every one of our supermarkets locally. Ideal for greek salads and Lebanese or Turkish type salads.

Fresh Chilies too come in all sizes and varieties, but mostly small thin thai ones or larger 'green' or 'red' (no variety named!). BUt I can get Jamaican 'Scotch bonnet' types, Jalapeno too... And, if I want to buy in one of the Indian stores, then there are loads of varieties.

You poor thing, living in such a cuisine-ingredient-challenged area. Come to a civilised country!

Old 05-11-2005, 05:41 AM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
LOL, there is a good Indian shop in Manchester that's a bit better, but it's way out of my shopping trail, so I rarely go. Bury, despite it's large number of Asians, doesn't have a wide variety of things, but it is good for vegetables and fruit. I can get canteloupe so that makes me happy!!!

I would love to live in Scotland, or Wales (I adore North Wales) but the dh isn't very portable.

Old 05-11-2005, 08:42 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Some (note the word, 'some'!) men are such creatures of habit that moving them from their home turf is just out of the question!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:28 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex
You can get a few different kinds of chilli powder at the grocery store.

I have seen Chili powder, hot mexican style chili powder, Ancho chili powder, Cayenne Pepper powder, and the expensive habanero chili powder.

Pick up a bottle and enjoy.

Chili powder has oregano, cumin and garlic in it -- the oregano would be probably be very wrong for this dish.

In this dish you would not want to use a bell or Aneheim pepper, but rather a small green hot pepper like a bird pepper, serrano or jalepeno.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I think we call them birds eye here, and that's the only sort of small green chilli, so that would be the one the recipe writer intended. Can you not get plain powdered dried chili in your side of the pond? We get two types what we call chilli powder, which is just that, plain powdered chillis and the other called Mexican chilli powder which has the oregano and other stuff in it.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:48 AM   #16
Master Chef

You can get dry powdered chiles, yes. Penzey's is a great source.

But if it's labeled "chili powder" (with the i) it'll be a spice mixture. Invented to season chili, I suspect.