"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
Sous Chef

That's funny/odd to me. I learned from an excellent patissier, she actually won awards for her work, and we always touched it. You can't get away from touching it. Unless, as I said it's a quick bread or when using a straight dough method or modified straight dough method.
Could you then tell me how you bench it or punch it without touching it?(just curious)

Old 08-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #12
Senior Cook

LOL - the bear claws are a bit realistic!

Old 08-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
Cook

Kitchen aid or a kenwood is the best, about 10 minutes mixing will do the trick, once you have a good recipe,
Old 08-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
That's funny/odd to me. I learned from an excellent patissier, she actually won awards for her work, and we always touched it. You can't get away from touching it. Unless, as I said it's a quick bread or when using a straight dough method or modified straight dough method.
Could you then tell me how you bench it or punch it without touching it?(just curious)
No idea what you mean by "bench". The only punching I do is punching the dough down after the first rise. I do the majority of the kneading in the KA Pro 600, then a minute or so of hand kneading before the first rise. Then I punch it down, shape it and let it rise the second time, then bake. So I do get some hands on, but I let the machine do the hard work.

Since I've never had any training in breadmaking, I'm learning by trial and error. I'm still groping my way to understanding the proper feel of the dough. My end result generally seems to be pretty good, but I'm still never really sure if I've done it right until it comes out of the oven.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:12 AM   #15
Sous Chef

I have to secod Apple's recommendation of the the "Artesian" book's method. It works! I've gone both the hand method and the KA way. Both are okay, although I get a better result from hand kneading. But with this new method, why bother? Before y'all go knocking it, try it.