A question about deep frying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gpalexiades

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I have an electric deep fryer, the kind with the heating element directly in the oil. My question is, is it okay to leave the oil in the deep fryer after each use until it needs to be changed?

Thank you,
gpalexiades

Yes, you should be fine to leave the oil in the fryer. At my work we'll leave the oil in for a few days at a time before needing to change the oil. I think it may also depend on the oil you use.... maybe.

If it were a daily process it would be quite annoying. haha :D

goboenomo said:
Yes, you should be fine to leave the oil in the fryer. At my work we'll leave the oil in for a few days at a time before needing to change the oil. I think it may also depend on the oil you use.... maybe.

If it were a daily process it would be quite annoying. haha :D

Thank you for answering my question.

I've found that, by removing the oil from the deep fryer, filtering it, returning it to the original container, and storing it in a cool, dark place, my oil lasts longer than if I leave it in the fryer with all the little bits & pieces that fell off whatever I was cooking.

I buy canola oil in a 1 gallon plastic bottle, and I return it to that bottle, after it's cooled completely, through a gold coffee filter inside a plastic funnel.

Well you can always get a flat strainer and run it through the fryer every night before you shut it down.

If the only question is will the oil go bad ( make you sick ) the answer is no it won't. But if you if you are looking at quality there are a few more varialbles:

Buy a good oil/ shortening. If you buy the cheapest oil you can find it will break down a lot faster. A quality canola oil is good. The higher ratio shortenings are the best ( ones that are thicker at room temp).

Try to get as little water or ice in the oil when frying

Do not salt you items prior to frying or over the oil as salt breaks down the oil faster.

If you deep fry fish the oil can carry over flavor to items like potatoes.

Always filter the oil when finished cooking and prior to storing.

You can tell your oil is bad when it foams up when heating or cooking.

JDP

Thank you to everyone who answered my thread. All your answers are very helpful.

I usually take the oil out of my deep fryer and after filtering it I put it the original container somewhere is a dark place and it stays much better than leaving it the deep fryer.

Back
Top Bottom