"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

A question about measuring

Hello,

I bought powdered ice cream mix in bulk. It came in 6 pound containers, The directions say to add 2 gallons of milk or water to 6 pounds of the ice cream mix. My mackine makes 1 & a 1/2 quarts of ice cream. Please tell me the ratio of how much milk or water to ice cream powder mix.

Thank you,
George

Old 06-20-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Your ice cream maker calls for four cups of liquid (which makes 6 cups of ice crfeam). That's a quart, or 1/8 of the 2 gallons the directions call for. So you should use 1/8 of the six pounds of powder or 3/4 of a pound which is 12 ounces.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Andy,

Thank you so much for your help.

George
Old 06-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
Master Chef

Bravo Andy!! That looked like another language to me
Old 06-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Cook

Wow, flashback to grade 10 math...I think I need to go have a lie down.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Your ice cream maker calls for four cups of liquid (which makes 6 cups of ice crfeam). That's a quart, or 1/8 of the 2 gallons the directions call for. So you should use 1/8 of the six pounds of powder or 3/4 of a pound which is 12 ounces.
I agree with Andy regarding using 1 quart per 12 oz of the mix. However, as the mixture cools and whips, it will increase in volume due to the incorporation of air via the whipping process. Therefore, for a machine which MAKES 1 quart, you need to begin with a lesser quantity of milk (less than 1 quart) and mix to allow for the incorporation of air and whipping as the mixture cools, develops and bulks up. Consequently, to get/make 1 quart of icecream you may need less than 1 quart of liquid.

I would suggest reducing the recipe by half again and making a smaller quantity until you familiarise yourself with the machine. My problem is that I live in the UK where a pint is 20 fl oz. It might be worth looking at the recipies given in the handbook accompanying the machine to see how a pint/quart/litre is defined.

As you have bought a machine to make ice cream, I would advise that you try a couple of the recipes given in the accompanying booklet telling you how to use the machine first. These should give you an idea as to how a cold ice cream mix "bulks-up" as it goes through the freezing and whipping process. I suspect you will be surprised as to how much a cold mix increases in volume as it is worked by an ice-cream machine! Try a couple of the recipes given by the machine manufacturer first before you start with the mix you`ve bought.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc
Old 06-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

As the OP stated, and as I reiterated in my post, their ice cream maker makes 1.5 quarts of ice cream. Thus, my quart of liquid and 12 ounces of powder will work without further reduction.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thank you so much for your help & explaination. Your information will be very helpful to me.

Thanks again,
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiduc View Post
I agree with Andy regarding using 1 quart per 12 oz of the mix. However, as the mixture cools and whips, it will increase in volume due to the incorporation of air via the whipping process. Therefore, for a machine which MAKES 1 quart, you need to begin with a lesser quantity of milk (less than 1 quart) and mix to allow for the incorporation of air and whipping as the mixture cools, develops and bulks up. Consequently, to get/make 1 quart of icecream you may need less than 1 quart of liquid.

I would suggest reducing the recipe by half again and making a smaller quantity until you familiarise yourself with the machine. My problem is that I live in the UK where a pint is 20 fl oz. It might be worth looking at the recipies given in the handbook accompanying the machine to see how a pint/quart/litre is defined.

As you have bought a machine to make ice cream, I would advise that you try a couple of the recipes given in the accompanying booklet telling you how to use the machine first. These should give you an idea as to how a cold ice cream mix "bulks-up" as it goes through the freezing and whipping process. I suspect you will be surprised as to how much a cold mix increases in volume as it is worked by an ice-cream machine! Try a couple of the recipes given by the machine manufacturer first before you start with the mix you`ve bought.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc