Glass plate shattered in oven -- My first kitchen disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanilla Bean

Master Chef
I was going to make a nice dinner of a breakfast quiche, but it didn't work out. :( I'll try to make this short.

For this quiche, I used a regular pizza dough recipe for a 12-inch pizza (which I have done before). I decided to use a new Pyrex pie plate received as one of my Christmas gifts... never used before.

The ingredients were 1 cup cubed, cooked chicken breast, sour cream, diced potato, 2 slices of bacon, sliced bell pepper and onion, cr of chicken soup and 2 slices of American cheese. I placed the prepared quiche on a pizza pan, in case of messy drips.

Anyway, 30 minutes into cooking, I was in the process of sliding out the pan, and the glass plate shattered beneath the crust. :( It would have been such a great dinner.

I'm puzzled, because I have made similiar recipes before, but in my old glass Pyrex plate... never a problem.

Any ideas on why the dish broke, when I barely moved it? The plate wasn't cold, neither were the ingredients.

Sorry VB, I've only heard of them shattering in few instances, and I'm sure you know what they are. All I can think of is a flaw in the plate?

Sorry to hear of your mishap. However, there is a thing (can't remember the correct term) but it's sort of like a thermal shock that Pyrex and other similar types of glass can experience. Can be something as simple as a draft that hits the glass. I've had it happen to me. And, yep, my dinner was sooo ruined.

Thank you both so much. That's all I can think of...maybe a hair-line crack that was hard to notice... who knows.

Guess what's in the oven now, pizza! So, it's not all at a loss... **knock on wood**.

I made two dough balls last night, and I'm glad that one was thawed. There is a reason for everything, I guess.

Luckily you didn't get get hurt.Pyrex gets hot.

I've actually had one shatter,I just had enough time to get my son well away before it sprayed.It went everywhere.I was baking a chicken,added cold water to the pan.That wasn't one of my better moments.

I Went out and bought metal roasting pans the next day.And oven cleaner.

Your pyrex was probably dropped somewhere,sometime during shipping.It happens.

Your dinner sounded really good though :)

Need a taste tester next time? Call me! :)

Munky.

Along the line of the Thermal Shock Theory .... I had friends who had an heirloom punchbowl, a very large and fine old cut-glass one. It always sat in the middle of the Sideboard. Like me, they live in an old house with window air-conditioners. They returned home from town one summer day and turned on the units in the different rooms. About 6-7 minutes later a very loud and melodious PING !!!! was heard all over the house, but at first no one seemed to know where it came from. A short while later they went into the dining room and saw the punch bowl in two perfect halves. It was in a direct line with the air-conditioner. It had been there for decades and no doubt that same thing played out many, many times, except that on that particular day it apparently was too much "Thermal Shock" for the ancient heirloom.

I think I can make you feel better. About 10 yrs ago I boiled eggs in microwave...I know...NOW!

When I went to peel the first one it exploded in my face. Talk about egg on your face and all over the kitchen. I found reminants for awhile!

actually, if you write to Pyrex, I bet they will either send you a new pie plate or a coupon for a new one.... Give it a shot.

Did you have the Pyrex directly on the pizza pan? That will cause the Pyrex to take on additional heat. Too much uneven heat will cause NEW Pyrex to shatter (it's not as tough as it used to be like so many other things in this world). I would suggest that next time you put the pizza pan on the rack below the pie pan. It will catch the drips but not cause uneven heat distribution on the Pyrex.

Thank you June and Calli!

June, I'll try to do that. Thanks for the tip! :)

I didn't know that, Calli. That could very well have been the case. Oh well, a great pizza came out of it! :chef:

Munky...thanks for the compliment.... it would have been good.. and next time, I'll invite ya over! :)

Down, I'm sorry to hear about your friend's punch bowl. That is strange, almost eerie!... Twilight Zone theme is playing.

Nat, ughhh.. egg? what a mess that must have been!. I know it feels to be left with egg on your face! :ermm:

Glad to help, VB. I agree with calling Pyrex and telling them what happened. They may very well send you a coupon or even a replacement. I know a particular craft company that if you get one of their cartridges and it's defective, they send you a new cartridge and these things run $25 a pop. Never underestimate the power of politely calling a company and saying "uh, I don't know how this happened."

I've loved my Pyrex ovenware since I first started using them. Easy to clean, can go into the microwave for warm-up, etc.

I did read somewhere (maybe even on the Pyrex web site), that even the slightest imperfection (like a very small chip) can cause a catastrophic failure. I am glad I read that as I inspect my Pyrex stuff closely before use every time.

I had a 13" x 9" Pyrex dish shatter on me years ago. I thought it was cool enough so I poured hot tap water in it to let it soak for a little while. I had glass everywhere, it was even embedded in my shins and of course I was barefoot in the kitchen. All I could do was yell for my husband to get the broom so I could move and not step in the glass.

The problem with Pyrex cookware seems to be a little more widespread than most of us believe, and it's apparently not just limited to misuse (i.e., adding cold water to a hot dish) or micoline fractures. Check this out, from ConsumerAffairs.com: CLICK ME

I have a lot of it, some of which is quite old. Not sure what to do with it as there are some pretty scary stories about injuries caused by exploding Pyrex dishes. Check the other links on the page I've referred to above.

Back
Top Bottom