"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Since a few of our members have mentioned Vidalia onions, I was wondering if the can be found in the UK.

A Vidalia onion is grown in a very small area of Georgia here. They are sort of flat and so sweet that a lot of folks eat them like they would an apple. Because the area where they grow is small compared to other onion farms, I doubt that the crop is large enough to deport any. Georgia is a fairly large state. The following will give you additional information.

Hendrix Produce Products

Old 03-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #12
Senior Cook

We are fortunate to have a Mexican market a mile away, and I get our white onions there. Kayelle told me they are milder than the yellow ones.
The odd thing is the prices fluctuate from week to week, from 4 lbs for 99 cents to 2 pounds for a dollar. We keep them in a mesh bag out on the service porch.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:06 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
We are fortunate to have a Mexican market a mile away, and I get our white onions there. Kayelle told me they are milder than the yellow ones.
The odd thing is the prices fluctuate from week to week, from 4 lbs for 99 cents to 2 pounds for a dollar. We keep them in a mesh bag out on the service porch.
You have to go to a special market for white onions? I buy them at Walmart (the other 2 local grocery stores are too small to carry anything but yellow onions). I buy as little as possible at Walmart, but for some things I have no choice. I've had white onions that were significantly sharper than the average yellow, but even yellow onions can vary a lot when raw. I find that the differences tend to level out when they are cooked.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #14
Head Chef

I like yellow onions in cooked food & white in fresh uncooked food such a salsa. So I would just use yellow in your recipe.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #15
Master Chef

I'm really trying to come up with something witty, not gross, but mildly humorous to say about onions, but can't seem to think of anything. I mean, onions rubbed under the armpit, or used as mosquito repellant... It just doesn't seem witty, or funny, just crude and obnoxious. Someone has to have something funny to say about using onions.

There were two onions walking on the sidewalk beside a busy boulevard. At a particular corner, they decided to cross the street. After waiting for the stoplight to change, and the walk light to illuminate, they began to cross. Suddenly a car screeched around the corned and hit one of the onions. The uninjured onion helped his friend to the safety of the sidewalk and dialed 911. The injured onion was taken to emergency surgery at a nearby hospital. The healthy friend could hear endless crying from the surgical staff as they did their delicate work.

After some time, one of the surgeons finally came out and to the waiting room. He said to the uninjured onion, I have some good, and some bad new.

The good onion said; "Ok, doc tell me the good new first."

"The good new is that your freind is going to live."

"That's great, Doc. So what's the bad news?"

"He's going to be a vegetable for the rest of his life."

Mwahahahahahaha Ok, it wasn't that funny. But it wasn't gross either.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
That's what's so nice about the little Mexican and Asian markets - you could never get onions that price in a supermarket. I buy cilantro at a tiny little Asian market here for a fraction of the supermarket price.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I use sweet onions for all dishes that call for cooked. For raw I always use red onions which as others have suggested have been soaked in cold water. I always add a pinch of sugar and salt. This seems to help bring out the 'onion' flavor while removing some of the sharpness.
Thoroughly rinsed then patted dry after soaking.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:01 PM   #18
Head Chef

I've been cooking mexican food all my life and eating it longer than that. I agree with whoever said that if you're cooking them it doesn't matter much. In Mexican markets you usually also see what looks like green onions with golf ball size bulbs. But honestly, I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as an authentic salsa; or an inauthentic one for that matter, so use what you like best. Shallots work too, by the way.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Since a few of our members have mentioned Vidalia onions, I was wondering if the can be found in the UK.

A Vidalia onion is grown in a very small area of Georgia here. They are sort of flat and so sweet that a lot of folks eat them like they would an apple. Because the area where they grow is small compared to other onion farms, I doubt that the crop is large enough to deport any. Georgia is a fairly large state. The following will give you additional information.

Hendrix Produce Products

Not under the name Vidalia, which I believe is a protected name in the US and can't be used for similar onions grown elsewhere.

If I needed sweet, mild(ish) onions for roasting, etc., I'd probably choose "Spanish" onions. We have "brown" onions (which I think are the same as your yellow onions), white onions and red onions, plus several varieties of shallots and spring (or salad) onions, which you call scallions.

Tags
onion, onions