"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
waving furiously here too!!!!!!!!!!

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:09 AM   #12
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Mish - I would love for you to post that recipe - TIA
You got it :) I'm heading over to the chicken aisle.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:10 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Oops, didn't see ya BT. On my way to the chicken coop.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:11 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:13 PM   #15
Certified Executive Chef
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
ginger???? really????? just stick in a pot - straight from the grocery store?

Yes, I've planted garlic like that outside where I used to live - but I live in the shade except for the kitchen window - gets some good morning sun.
Yes kitchennisse, the ginger grew several beautiful green leaves, it may have even given off a flower but I had to pull it up because of the cold. I understand though, that if you put ginger partially under the dirt, w ith some sticking up, in a pot on your windowsill, you will have a permanent supply of ginger, just wack off a piece above the surface of the dirt and it will continue to supply you. I have not tried that, I keep a piece in a basket on the counter and take what I need. It keeps for a rather long time.
norgeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:15 PM   #16
Senior Cook
Re: A rather odd cooking question (regarding garlic)

Originally Posted by Lugaru
but these sprouts that I throw away... are they garlic sprouts as seen in many pacific asian recipies and some fusion couisine? Is there a use for them?
here is a link that shows pictures of garlic, including garlic sprouts
(which are sold at our local farmer's market in the summer. I think they are the bud of the flower - not sure, but that's what they look like - not the sprout that comes up as the garlic ages.)

hope this helps!
wasabi woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 04:47 AM   #17
Head Chef
I think I'd take a certain amount of the garlic and roast it. I love the flavor of roasted garlic and you can use it in so many ways. It keeps well in the refrigerator.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:00 AM   #18
Master Chef
Whether or not I use the 'sprouts' of the garlic depends on what I'm cooking. Sometimes they can be a bit bitter, and sometimes I like that. Elephant garlic is usually pretty expensive, so I don't generally buy it because if I'm cooking garlic, I want vampires to flee. It is very mild compared to regular. Has anyone ever been to Gilroy? There are only two towns I know you can find with your nose, and if you hit Gilroy at the right time of year, honestly, the whole area smells like garlic. Heaven!! The other town used to be Honolulu on canning days, when the entire area smelled like someone was baking a pineapple upside down cake (I think that canning facility is now defunct. Boohoo).
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:12 AM   #19
Master Chef
I have chopped the stems from my garlic, by reason that onion and garlic are so similar. I've often used green onion tops to flavor and garnish foods.

The garlic stems, if cut while thender, have a strong garlic flavor and can be used in cooking. however, the raw garlic flavor is a bit strong for most garnishes. If chopped very find, an mixed well into something like mashed spuds, or a leafy-green salad, they should work.

They are edible. just be careful with them.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote