A rather odd cooking question (regarding garlic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lugaru

Sous Chef
Ok... I usually buy my garlic by the pound since I like having large quantities of the real thing on hand at any moment. Any way's Im not a SUPER garlic freak so each load tends to last me a month or two and eventually reaches a point where it starts to sprout hollow green stems or leaves similar to chives.

Now I keep using the garlic any way's (for me it's a good sign, it tells me it's still alive and fresh) but these sprouts that I throw away... are they garlic sprouts as seen in many pacific asian recipies and some fusion couisine? Is there a use for them?

I don't think that the sprouting garlic is the same as garlic sprouts - I'm pretty sure they are two different things.

A sprouting garlic is still fine to use - but the flavor tends to go to the sprout, which may mean you have to use more cloves than normal.

Next time one of mine sprouts I think I'm going to put it in a little pot of dirt and see if I can grow some garlic. I love garlic blossoms - VERY tasty!!!!

I'm sure you already know this - but store in a cool, dark place away from any heat source. If in a container make sure the container has plenty of air circulation - and throw away any cloves that mold or turn mushy or brown and hollow.

Chives and garlic chives are cousins - but different animals. Chives taste like onions and garlic chives, naturally, have a garlic flavor.

Garlic chives are also called Chinese chives and ku chai. The ones you see used for a garnish (with the buds on top) are from older more mature plants and have a slightly different flavor.

I have seen references to using garlic "sprouts" as a substitute for garlic chives - but I honestly have never tried it.

kitchenelf said:
I don't think that the sprouting garlic is the same as garlic sprouts - I'm pretty sure they are two different things.

Next time one of mine sprouts I think I'm going to put it in a little pot of dirt and see if I can grow some garlic. I love garlic blossoms - VERY tasty!!!!.

Kitchennisse this is how I grow garlic, just stick a clove in the ground, root side down, and it will grow. I also grow the same way with gingerroot.

ginger???? really????? just stick in a pot - straight from the grocery store?

Yes, I've planted garlic like that outside where I used to live - but I live in the shade except for the kitchen window - gets some good morning sun. :cry:

kitchenelf said:
I'm sure you already know this - but store in a cool, dark place away from any heat source.

kitchenelf, couldn't agree more. Years ago, I lived in an older house with no central air in the kitchen & I hung a garlic wreath on the wall. During the summer, the kitchen smelled like something died. I took out the trash (wasn't full yet) - til I finally figured out what it was. Now I only buy what I need.

Re garlic, anyone know if there's a difference between elephant garlic(?) & regualar garlic? - or is it just the size? I don't seem to see it much at the market. (Maybe, after that experience, I'm not really looking too closely.)

mish said:
kitchenelf said:
Re garlic, anyone know if there's a difference between elephant garlic(?) & regualar garlic? - or is it just the size? I don't seem to see it much at the market. (Maybe, after that experience, I'm not really looking too closely.)

Thanks for the info guys! Im actually going to try something with the sprouts maybe in a white sauce just to see what happens... worse come's to worse I should have poison control on my cell phone by then.

About elefant garlic: I was using it for a while just to experiment and it's great stuff. As buckytom say's yes, it is a sweeter, milder version of garlic which is great for when you actually want to make garlic the feature of your dish (visually attractive size, taste over pungency). Best things to do with this are thin, large slices to coat something, or making paste with it or slicing it along the middle (longwise) and roasting it in the oven in a bowl and then putting butter on top for people to soak their bread into.

Thanks BT & Lugaru!

Since it's so mild (the elephant version), I might try it raw & thinly sliced in salads n such. Think roasting regular garlic gives it a milder taste - to spread on breads etc. Just haven't found the elephant around much. Did come across a recipe (not TNT) for a version of Greek Garlic Chicken, that looks delish. If anyone is interested, give me a wave & I'll post it with the other Chickens.

There is a garlic festival held here in Gilroy CA(?), but never had the chance to visit. Read they even make garlic ice cream & saw a recipe for a garlic martini(?). (You might be able to google up some recipes/ideas.)

Ahhhhhh, garlic! The gift that keeps on giving. (Don't forget Valentine's Day :D )

kitchenelf said:
ginger???? really????? just stick in a pot - straight from the grocery store?

Yes, I've planted garlic like that outside where I used to live - but I live in the shade except for the kitchen window - gets some good morning sun. :cry:

Yes kitchennisse, the ginger grew several beautiful green leaves, it may have even given off a flower but I had to pull it up because of the cold. I understand though, that if you put ginger partially under the dirt, w ith some sticking up, in a pot on your windowsill, you will have a permanent supply of ginger, just wack off a piece above the surface of the dirt and it will continue to supply you. I have not tried that, I keep a piece in a basket on the counter and take what I need. It keeps for a rather long time.

Lugaru said:
but these sprouts that I throw away... are they garlic sprouts as seen in many pacific asian recipies and some fusion couisine? Is there a use for them?

here is a link that shows pictures of garlic, including garlic sprouts
(which are sold at our local farmer's market in the summer. I think they are the bud of the flower - not sure, but that's what they look like - not the sprout that comes up as the garlic ages.)

http://www.foodsubs.com/Garlic.html

hope this helps!

I think I'd take a certain amount of the garlic and roast it. I love the flavor of roasted garlic and you can use it in so many ways. It keeps well in the refrigerator.

Whether or not I use the 'sprouts' of the garlic depends on what I'm cooking. Sometimes they can be a bit bitter, and sometimes I like that. Elephant garlic is usually pretty expensive, so I don't generally buy it because if I'm cooking garlic, I want vampires to flee. It is very mild compared to regular. Has anyone ever been to Gilroy? There are only two towns I know you can find with your nose, and if you hit Gilroy at the right time of year, honestly, the whole area smells like garlic. Heaven!! The other town used to be Honolulu on canning days, when the entire area smelled like someone was baking a pineapple upside down cake (I think that canning facility is now defunct. Boohoo).

I have chopped the stems from my garlic, by reason that onion and garlic are so similar. I've often used green onion tops to flavor and garnish foods.

The garlic stems, if cut while thender, have a strong garlic flavor and can be used in cooking. however, the raw garlic flavor is a bit strong for most garnishes. If chopped very find, an mixed well into something like mashed spuds, or a leafy-green salad, they should work.

They are edible. just be careful with them.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom