"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
A rather odd cooking question (regarding garlic)

Ok... I usually buy my garlic by the pound since I like having large quantities of the real thing on hand at any moment. Any way's Im not a SUPER garlic freak so each load tends to last me a month or two and eventually reaches a point where it starts to sprout hollow green stems or leaves similar to chives.

Now I keep using the garlic any way's (for me it's a good sign, it tells me it's still alive and fresh) but these sprouts that I throw away... are they garlic sprouts as seen in many pacific asian recipies and some fusion couisine? Is there a use for them?

Old 02-08-2005, 12:56 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I don't think that the sprouting garlic is the same as garlic sprouts - I'm pretty sure they are two different things.

A sprouting garlic is still fine to use - but the flavor tends to go to the sprout, which may mean you have to use more cloves than normal.

Next time one of mine sprouts I think I'm going to put it in a little pot of dirt and see if I can grow some garlic. I love garlic blossoms - VERY tasty!!!!

I'm sure you already know this - but store in a cool, dark place away from any heat source. If in a container make sure the container has plenty of air circulation - and throw away any cloves that mold or turn mushy or brown and hollow.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
Master Chef

Chives and garlic chives are cousins - but different animals. Chives taste like onions and garlic chives, naturally, have a garlic flavor.

Garlic chives are also called Chinese chives and ku chai. The ones you see used for a garnish (with the buds on top) are from older more mature plants and have a slightly different flavor.

I have seen references to using garlic "sprouts" as a substitute for garlic chives - but I honestly have never tried it.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:57 PM   #4
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I don't think that the sprouting garlic is the same as garlic sprouts - I'm pretty sure they are two different things.

Next time one of mine sprouts I think I'm going to put it in a little pot of dirt and see if I can grow some garlic. I love garlic blossoms - VERY tasty!!!!.
Kitchennisse this is how I grow garlic, just stick a clove in the ground, root side down, and it will grow. I also grow the same way with gingerroot.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:30 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

ginger???? really????? just stick in a pot - straight from the grocery store?

Yes, I've planted garlic like that outside where I used to live - but I live in the shade except for the kitchen window - gets some good morning sun.

Old 02-09-2005, 07:35 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
I'm sure you already know this - but store in a cool, dark place away from any heat source.
kitchenelf, couldn't agree more. Years ago, I lived in an older house with no central air in the kitchen & I hung a garlic wreath on the wall. During the summer, the kitchen smelled like something died. I took out the trash (wasn't full yet) - til I finally figured out what it was. Now I only buy what I need.

Re garlic, anyone know if there's a difference between elephant garlic(?) & regualar garlic? - or is it just the size? I don't seem to see it much at the market. (Maybe, after that experience, I'm not really looking too closely.)
Old 02-09-2005, 09:07 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

elephant garlic is essentially the same as regular garlic, but is supposedly milder and sweeter. the fact that it grows into grapefruit sized heads is the only major difference.
i prefer hardneck or stiffneck garlic. just as sweet, and the price isn't extravagant.

check these out:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MV065

http://www.elephantgarlic.com/

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:26 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
[quote="mish"]
Quote:
Re garlic, anyone know if there's a difference between elephant garlic(?) & regualar garlic? - or is it just the size? I don't seem to see it much at the market. (Maybe, after that experience, I'm not really looking too closely.)
Thanks for the info guys! Im actually going to try something with the sprouts maybe in a white sauce just to see what happens... worse come's to worse I should have poison control on my cell phone by then.

About elefant garlic: I was using it for a while just to experiment and it's great stuff. As buckytom say's yes, it is a sweeter, milder version of garlic which is great for when you actually want to make garlic the feature of your dish (visually attractive size, taste over pungency). Best things to do with this are thin, large slices to coat something, or making paste with it or slicing it along the middle (longwise) and roasting it in the oven in a bowl and then putting butter on top for people to soak their bread into.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:52 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Thanks BT & Lugaru!

Since it's so mild (the elephant version), I might try it raw & thinly sliced in salads n such. Think roasting regular garlic gives it a milder taste - to spread on breads etc. Just haven't found the elephant around much. Did come across a recipe (not TNT) for a version of Greek Garlic Chicken, that looks delish. If anyone is interested, give me a wave & I'll post it with the other Chickens.

There is a garlic festival held here in Gilroy CA(?), but never had the chance to visit. Read they even make garlic ice cream & saw a recipe for a garlic martini(?). (You might be able to google up some recipes/ideas.)

Ahhhhhh, garlic! The gift that keeps on giving. (Don't forget Valentine's Day :D )
Old 02-09-2005, 11:47 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Mish - I would love for you to post that recipe - TIA