A "simple" question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pacanis said:
Hmmm, now I'm wondering if when someone says they made a simple salad they opened up a bag of greens. Which is more simple, opening up a bag of mixed greens or quartering a head of iceberg?
Is there a simple answer to this? :wacko:

And Roadfix, any pasta I have to Google is not simple :LOL:

Or...if they grew the veggies and harvested the veggies for the salad, it wouldn't be simple any more.

OK, I just have to be the dissenting voice, just because it's fun. There is another way of looking at the term simple pasta. Simple syrup is a description of a particular syrup made from table sugar (sucrose) and water in equal amounts.

I wish I could find something that identifies a particular type of salad with the name, simple salad. Alas, a search of the internet gave me easy to make salads. I have to bow to the majority decision (heavy sigh). I so like to stir the pot when I can.:ohmy:

Ah well, one of these days, I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too! Ahhhhahahaha.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

That's interesting, GW. So a simple syrup is actually a specific syrup, with a specific composition. That makes me wonder if simple syrup came first, then other dish descriptions followed on the same premise of limited ingredients that are readily available.
I imagine in colonial times it was easier to make simple syrup than it was to collect honey ;)

...I imagine in colonial times it was easier to make simple syrup than it was to collect honey ;)

On the contrary. Sugar was a luxury in colonial times.

I think you are WAY over thinking this. A simple pasta is as described earlier by jennyema and Uncle Bob.

On the contrary. Sugar was a luxury in colonial times.

I think you are WAY over thinking this. A simple pasta is as described earlier by jennyema and Uncle Bob.

I was hinting at the whole bee thing ;)

And it isn't so much over thinking as it is learning others' terminology for the food they are describing. It's just not a term I see a lot, so when it comes up it catches my eye... and imagination.

Would it have been a different thought process for you if she had said "an easy pasta."?

lol, not really. I still wouldn't have had any idea what she was having :LOL:
Maybe if there was only one type of pasta and only one way to sauce it...

And it's not that iimportant at this date, or that date for that matter.
Just a phrase I wanted elaborated on.

I get it. Sometimes your brain just latches onto something and you have to follow it to the end.

Hmmm, now I'm wondering if when someone says they made a simple salad they opened up a bag of greens. Which is more simple, opening up a bag of mixed greens or quartering a head of iceberg?
Is there a simple answer to this? :wacko:

And Roadfix, any pasta I have to Google is not simple :LOL:

Yes.

My favorites are salmon and wasabi.

I think the only one I didn't buy had the Octopus in it...:ermm:

I want to make some with a lower salt content, but I need to use these up first. I guess I could just crumble more nori into it.

But, I need to K.I.S.S. it.

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple Stupid, putting us back on topic...the bike i tried to kill myself on is the "Simple" model from Giant.

Last edited:
Every cook probably has their own simply pasta. Mine in usually something like buttered, poppy seeded noodles. Boil the noodles, drain, dump back into the same pot, plop in some butter, add plenty of poppy seeds.

Back
Top Bottom