A spoonful of... coffee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
How about this instead of your morning cup?

These "caviar" are simply coffee encapsulated in a thin gel layer. Here's the kicker; the gel is also coffee. By using a few grams of sodium alginate and calcium chloride, you can encapsulate a liquid in itself, giving it a little bit of texture. When you bite in, the liquid flows into your mouth; it's really quite unlike anything I've ever experienced.

Once I get comfortable with this technique and the proper ratios to use, I'll start posting some recipes for anyone interested.

Attachments

• DSCN1575.JPG
    DSCN1575.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCN1577.JPG
    DSCN1577.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCN1578.JPG
    DSCN1578.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 213
Did you make those spoonfuls of coffee, college cook? Please, please share the how to's. That looks like the coolest thing! Makes me wonder about the possibilities....
Terry

Fisher's Mom, basically, you take a liquid (in this case coffee, but you can use things like carrot juice, beet juice, apple juice, tomato soup, etc.) and blend it with sodium alginate. This liquid is then dispensed into a solution of calcium chloride and water (I usually use 2.5 g CC for every 500 g water). There is a chemical reaction with the sodium alginate that causes it to "gel" or "calcify" in the presence of calcium chloride. You can use a syringe to make the "caviar", but most people that I know use a caviar maker. It makes things much easier since you can do it in bulk.

you mad scientists! lol.

I want to know how Fernand Adria does his "Air". While I was in Englad for hte past 2 weeks, I watch Heston Bleumenthal doing some really remarkable things as well.

FAT DUCK

Last edited:
Ironchef- have you found that the alginate thickens the flavorful liquid too much? I was happy with the end flavor, and that I got the effect to work correctly, but when breaking a larger-sized sphere last night the inside was very thick and viscous, almost like an egg yolk. I am just wondering if it's possible to cut the amount of alginate and still recieve the desired effect. I believe I used 2 g of Calcium chloride per 500 mL water, and 1g alginate for 250 mL coffee.

Ironchef- have you found that the alginate thickens the flavorful liquid too much? I was happy with the end flavor, and that I got the effect to work correctly, but when breaking a larger-sized sphere last night the inside was very thick and viscous, almost like an egg yolk. I am just wondering if it's possible to cut the amount of alginate and still recieve the desired effect. I believe I used 2 g of Calcium chloride per 500 mL water, and 1g alginate for 250 mL coffee.

You can try increasing the CC in the solution by a little bit while decreasing the alginate in the caviar. The liquid in the sphere will become thicker though. It's just a property of the sodium alginate because it's a food thickener.

Thanks for the link, IC. I'm going to order the caviar maker and the supplies. I think this will be a cool science thing for my kids. Just to clarify, this is how they make bubble tea, right? I don't care for it myself but it looks like a fun thing to do. Are there any other "applications" for this caviar?

Thanks for the link, IC. I'm going to order the caviar maker and the supplies. I think this will be a cool science thing for my kids. Just to clarify, this is how they make bubble tea, right? I don't care for it myself but it looks like a fun thing to do. Are there any other "applications" for this caviar?

No, bubble tea uses large tapioca balls.

You can make larger sized spheres. My friend made an egg yolk sized sphere which was filled with a pea puree and used it for a "green eggs and ham" special.

IC, what would one do with this "caviar"? Is it just for fun like your friend's Seuss special (good enough for me) or are there actual meals people serve this with? You mentioned other liquids could be used. Would this be like a garnish? Would they ever be dissolved in hot liquid?
Your ignorant pal,
Terry (lol)

IC, what would one do with this "caviar"? Is it just for fun like your friend's Seuss special (good enough for me) or are there actual meals people serve this with? You mentioned other liquids could be used. Would this be like a garnish? Would they ever be dissolved in hot liquid?
Your ignorant pal,
Terry (lol)

Yeah, they'll dissolve with heat. Usually, it's used as a cool way to add a flavor component to a dish. For example, I did it once with ponzu sauce for a tuna tartare special, so as the guest was eating the tuna, the little ponzu "caviars" would burst in their mouths and the flavor would come through. Marcel from Top Chef made coffee caviar and served it with blinis and creme fraiche. Basically, think of it like a sauce or flavoring component. Another example would be making raspberry or chocolate caviar, and then serving it with vanilla ice cream.

Here's a couple of examples. The first picture has caviar that looks like salmon roe. It's actually caviar made with a dilluted Sriracha mixture. The second picture has an espresso caviar used for a tiramisu.

Yeah, they'll dissolve with heat. Usually, it's used as a cool way to add a flavor component to a dish. For example, I did it once with ponzu sauce for a tuna tartare special, so as the guest was eating the tuna, the little ponzu "caviars" would burst in their mouths and the flavor would come through. Marcel from Top Chef made coffee caviar and served it with blinis and creme fraiche. Basically, think of it like a sauce or flavoring component. Another example would be making raspberry or chocolate caviar, and then serving it with vanilla ice cream.

Here's a couple of examples. The first picture has caviar that looks like salmon roe. It's actually caviar made with a dilluted Sriracha mixture. The second picture has an espresso caviar used for a tiramisu.

OK, this makes sense now. I love the Sriracha caviar! We go through a lot of Sriracha here - my sons like it with almost everything. And how elegant to serve a fruit or chocolate flavored caviar with a simple dish of ice cream. Your pics are gorgeous and I can't wait to play with this. Thanks.

I'm really fascinated by them, and I think they'd make a really unique way to sauce a composed dish. My big issue right now is how thick the alginated liquid gets, i find it somewhat too viscous, and if I can make the spheres with a thinner liquid I plan on encapsulating all sorts of things in these spheres.

I'm really fascinated by them, and I think they'd make a really unique way to sauce a composed dish. My big issue right now is how thick the alginated liquid gets, i find it somewhat too viscous, and if I can make the spheres with a thinner liquid I plan on encapsulating all sorts of things in these spheres.
Yes, please do College Cook. And make sure you post your results and more pics. I am going to be playing with this for a while because it's just neat!

question

My qustion is how I can stop [FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']consolidation process. I mean then get the little caviar balls I can blow it up(liquid inside).[/FONT]
[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']After some time liquid become to be jelly. May be you know how I can stop this chemical process.(if it possible)[/FONT]

[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']Best regards and thanks in advance[/FONT]
[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']Maxim[/FONT]

Wouldn't this be great in a drink!! Glass of sprite with fruit juice balls. Dish of ice cream, poke the balls and instant topping. Maybe even salad dressing or veggie sauces. Oh my mind is a reeling...........................

Back
Top Bottom