"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-05-2007, 11:54 PM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
A spoonful of... coffee?

How about this instead of your morning cup?

These "caviar" are simply coffee encapsulated in a thin gel layer. Here's the kicker; the gel is also coffee. By using a few grams of sodium alginate and calcium chloride, you can encapsulate a liquid in itself, giving it a little bit of texture. When you bite in, the liquid flows into your mouth; it's really quite unlike anything I've ever experienced.

Once I get comfortable with this technique and the proper ratios to use, I'll start posting some recipes for anyone interested.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1575.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	2990   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1577.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	2991  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1578.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	2992  

Old 09-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Did you make those spoonfuls of coffee, college cook? Please, please share the how to's. That looks like the coolest thing! Makes me wonder about the possibilities....
Terry

Old 09-06-2007, 02:01 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Fisher's Mom, basically, you take a liquid (in this case coffee, but you can use things like carrot juice, beet juice, apple juice, tomato soup, etc.) and blend it with sodium alginate. This liquid is then dispensed into a solution of calcium chloride and water (I usually use 2.5 g CC for every 500 g water). There is a chemical reaction with the sodium alginate that causes it to "gel" or "calcify" in the presence of calcium chloride. You can use a syringe to make the "caviar", but most people that I know use a caviar maker. It makes things much easier since you can do it in bulk.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
you mad scientists! lol.

I want to know how Fernand Adria does his "Air". While I was in Englad for hte past 2 weeks, I watch Heston Bleumenthal doing some really remarkable things as well.

FAT DUCK
Old 09-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Ironchef- have you found that the alginate thickens the flavorful liquid too much? I was happy with the end flavor, and that I got the effect to work correctly, but when breaking a larger-sized sphere last night the inside was very thick and viscous, almost like an egg yolk. I am just wondering if it's possible to cut the amount of alginate and still recieve the desired effect. I believe I used 2 g of Calcium chloride per 500 mL water, and 1g alginate for 250 mL coffee.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
Head Chef

Very cool! Fascinating stuff!
Old 09-06-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook View Post
Ironchef- have you found that the alginate thickens the flavorful liquid too much? I was happy with the end flavor, and that I got the effect to work correctly, but when breaking a larger-sized sphere last night the inside was very thick and viscous, almost like an egg yolk. I am just wondering if it's possible to cut the amount of alginate and still recieve the desired effect. I believe I used 2 g of Calcium chloride per 500 mL water, and 1g alginate for 250 mL coffee.
You can try increasing the CC in the solution by a little bit while decreasing the alginate in the caviar. The liquid in the sphere will become thicker though. It's just a property of the sodium alginate because it's a food thickener.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Thanks for the link, IC. I'm going to order the caviar maker and the supplies. I think this will be a cool science thing for my kids. Just to clarify, this is how they make bubble tea, right? I don't care for it myself but it looks like a fun thing to do. Are there any other "applications" for this caviar?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Thanks for the link, IC. I'm going to order the caviar maker and the supplies. I think this will be a cool science thing for my kids. Just to clarify, this is how they make bubble tea, right? I don't care for it myself but it looks like a fun thing to do. Are there any other "applications" for this caviar?
No, bubble tea uses large tapioca balls.

You can make larger sized spheres. My friend made an egg yolk sized sphere which was filled with a pea puree and used it for a "green eggs and ham" special.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #10
Executive Chef

IC, what would one do with this "caviar"? Is it just for fun like your friend's Seuss special (good enough for me) or are there actual meals people serve this with? You mentioned other liquids could be used. Would this be like a garnish? Would they ever be dissolved in hot liquid?
Your ignorant pal,
Terry (lol)