"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-30-2005, 04:51 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Yeah, I am also "just throw in things" type when I know what I am doing (thus sometimes I have a hard time writing a recipe of my creations...), I can just adjust the amount as I taste it... but when I try out something completely new, also as you said in baking, I take no chances and measure everything like a good girl. In this case, I just would like to know exactly how much I am supposed to add. "A cup" of something can differ exactly how much, depends on flour, water, sugar, chopped nuts etc.... I found going by weights is much more dependable and consistent...

Old 09-30-2005, 09:35 AM   #12
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Usually the major problem for me is the "Tablespoon"... this is definetely not a uniform measurement it can be very confusing, potentially it could wreck a recipe if you misinterpret it.... thus I much prefer the recipe which gives you the amount in grams than spoons or cups.
We just had a discussion in another thread about tablespoons. That was the first time I realized that in OZ and the UK there are 4 tsps to a tablespoon. Only 3 here. I vote metric conversion on that one. If I see 20ml I will know to use 4tsps not 3!!

Old 09-30-2005, 10:34 AM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
This floors me.....How can 5 ml's not be 5 ml's....ahh my head
Old 09-30-2005, 10:53 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Usually the major problem for me is the "Tablespoon"... this is definetely not a uniform measurement it can be very confusing, potentially it could wreck a recipe if you misinterpret it.... thus I much prefer the recipe which gives you the amount in grams than spoons or cups.

The problem with that is that most people don;t have a scale in their kitchen, so measurements by wieght can often be a pain.

But they are more precise!
Old 09-30-2005, 12:50 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

urmaniac, do you have a set of tablespoons, teaspoons and cups from the US? The measure is consistent when using the sets manufactured in the US. I've never had a problem using them.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:53 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

well i guess there only consistent when using US recipes and US measuring spoons...I didn't know that a tablespoon was different in the UK!
Old 09-30-2005, 01:14 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Howdy neighbor, we're in Charlotte.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:31 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Hey Riane, yeah i guess we are neighbors!
Old 09-30-2005, 05:38 PM   #19
Senior Cook

4 oz = 125g. This conversion is the one the Australian govt gave us back in the 1960s when we 'went metric', and that's the one that has worked well for us all those years.

I'm fluent in both Imperial measurements and Metric - it's American that throws me out at times!

So -

1 stick butter=4oz=125g=1/2 cup.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:39 PM   #20
Master Chef

I knew we just discussed something along these lines recently and had to go find it:

Cooking Puzzle

I know I said earlier in that thread that I wasn't curious enough to go digging through government websites to find out why there were differences in metric "equivalents" between countries, but I kept thinking about it for a couple of days and just had to go snooping around and find out why. Although the charts appaer to be wrong, they are right. The answer appears to be that the differences are due to government definitions - obviously they didn't all stick to the scientific metric system, or even the same basic math standards, for conversion.

Remember - it was an act of Congress that changed the status of the tomato in the US from it's botanical place in nature as a fruit to a vegetable.