A Stick of Butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL @ Brooksy

Yeah, here in the "Colonies" we can get "arfa pound", too - but it's normally sold by the pound. If it's sold in sticks - a stick is 4-oz / 8 US Tablespoons / 1/2 US cup.

Hi Brooksy.

Yes you buy a pound of butter and get four sticks, so each should weigh 4 oz.

But just for a giggle I went and weighed a stick on a postal scale we have (we mail a lot) and it said 4.1 oz.

Don't know if the extra 0.1 oz was the paper wrap or just lagniappe, but it is 4 oz.

auntdot said:
Hi Brooksy.

Yes you buy a pound of butter and get four sticks, so each should weigh 4 oz.

But just for a giggle I went and weighed a stick on a postal scale we have (we mail a lot) and it said 4.1 oz.

Don't know if the extra 0.1 oz was the paper wrap or just lagniappe, but it is 4 oz.

At least it wasn't under!

1 stick of butter = 112 g
That's Allen, north of the 49th this one makes more sense too me...In Europe though I find cookbooks really bounce around from one measurement (system) to another...:wacko:

Usually the major problem for me is the "Tablespoon"... this is definetely not a uniform measurement it can be very confusing, potentially it could wreck a recipe if you misinterpret it.... thus I much prefer the recipe which gives you the amount in grams than spoons or cups.

LOL, different strokes for different folks :mrgreen: I'm so accustomed to spoons and cups that anything else is like :stuart: But I'm becoming more used to having a kitchen scale. Mind you I've never been a "measurer", sans baking (and even there I skip measuring on some recipes I know by heart). Just like to add a dash of this, a splash of that and a pinch of everything else :-p

Yeah, I am also "just throw in things" type when I know what I am doing (thus sometimes I have a hard time writing a recipe of my creations...), I can just adjust the amount as I taste it... but when I try out something completely new, also as you said in baking, I take no chances and measure everything like a good girl. In this case, I just would like to know exactly how much I am supposed to add. "A cup" of something can differ exactly how much, depends on flour, water, sugar, chopped nuts etc.... I found going by weights is much more dependable and consistent...

urmaniac13 said:
Usually the major problem for me is the "Tablespoon"... this is definetely not a uniform measurement it can be very confusing, potentially it could wreck a recipe if you misinterpret it.... thus I much prefer the recipe which gives you the amount in grams than spoons or cups.

We just had a discussion in another thread about tablespoons. That was the first time I realized that in OZ and the UK there are 4 tsps to a tablespoon. Only 3 here. I vote metric conversion on that one. If I see 20ml I will know to use 4tsps not 3!!

urmaniac13 said:

The problem with that is that most people don;t have a scale in their kitchen, so measurements by wieght can often be a pain.

But they are more precise!

urmaniac, do you have a set of tablespoons, teaspoons and cups from the US? The measure is consistent when using the sets manufactured in the US. I've never had a problem using them.

well i guess there only consistent when using US recipes and US measuring spoons...I didn't know that a tablespoon was different in the UK!

4 oz = 125g. This conversion is the one the Australian govt gave us back in the 1960s when we 'went metric', and that's the one that has worked well for us all those years.

I'm fluent in both Imperial measurements and Metric - it's American that throws me out at times!

So -

1 stick butter=4oz=125g=1/2 cup.

I knew we just discussed something along these lines recently and had to go find it:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13989

I know I said earlier in that thread that I wasn't curious enough to go digging through government websites to find out why there were differences in metric "equivalents" between countries, but I kept thinking about it for a couple of days and just had to go snooping around and find out why. Although the charts appaer to be wrong, they are right. The answer appears to be that the differences are due to government definitions - obviously they didn't all stick to the scientific metric system, or even the same basic math standards, for conversion.

Remember - it was an act of Congress that changed the status of the tomato in the US from it's botanical place in nature as a fruit to a vegetable.

Back
Top Bottom