AC ruining chicken breasts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bell and Evans is sold all over. Its just a better quality bird than factory farmed chicken from Perdue or Tyson or Costco.

Fresh Chicken | Bell & Evans

The OP can buy it in his home town. You might not be able to.

We had a scarily bad Perdue chicken which I grilled outside a few years ago. The taste and texture was so offputting we threw it away without eating more than a few bites. I only buy better chicken now.

Empire Kosher is another brand.

I have had Bell and Evans and they are on the bit pricier side. But sooo worth the extra cents. They taste like I remember them tasting like the chickens we ate on the farm. All they got was chicken feed.

Living in Chelsea many years ago, I often would buy a Kosher chicken. It was always my "go to chicken for Sunday Dinner." One day after moving to Eastie, I was having some friends of my husband for company. Ray asked me to make fried chicken. I made the trip to Chelsea for the sole purpose of buying a couple of Kosher chickens. Well worth it. Raves from everyone. One of the men asked me for the recipe for his wife back home. I made sure to list in larger letters, One Kosher chicken cut into eight pieces. It was the first ingredient. He asked me if the Kosher chicken was really necessary. I told him it was what made the chicken taste so good. Not the batter.

I hate this forum. Now I want a Kosher chicken! :angel:

Bell and Evans is sold all over. Its just a better quality bird than factory farmed chicken from Perdue or Tyson or Costco.

Fresh Chicken | Bell & Evans

The OP can buy it in his home town. You might not be able to.

I've lived and shopped in Colorado for 40 years, shopped in every grocery chain in the state - King Soopers ( the local version of Kroger), Safeway, Albertsons, Wild Oats (very rarely, before they were bought out by Whole Foods) - and never heard of Bell and Evans until I saw you post it here, so it's not exactly in the mainstream. I've never had a problem with any local store brand or Tyson packaged chicken, so I never felt the need to seek out anything different. I would probably pass on it anyway if it's that much more expensive.

Edit: Just Googled it and it's only available at Whole Foods here, and I never shopped there when I lived in the Denver area. I never really got on the organic bandwagon. Groceries are expensive enough without shopping in the most expensive store around. Now I live more than 120 miles from the nearest store, so it's really out of my bailiwick.

RP. Your right. Bell and Evans is expensive. But if you really want a clean chicken, and by that I mean no hormones or other stuff added to the feed, then buy a Kosher chicken. You will find them in a store that serves the Jewish community. The chickens are a little bit smaller, but the flavor in out of this world. It tastes like a chicken. Like your ancestors ate on the farm when they immigrated here. They might cost a little bit more but not as much as B&E chickens, and for the extra few pennies, it is worth it. And they make the best chicken stock or soup in the world. :angel:

Thanks for all the advice guys. Maybe it's time that I do switch to a different brand, though I believe in the past I have used different brands with the same result. Also, I've tried cooking the chicken in a cast iron grill plate and got the same result.

I wonder if it's an issue with my refrigerator? Maybe it's not well insulated or the temperature is too cold or not cold enough? Totally perplexed by all of this.

I have never heard of Bell and Evans chicken and they are only 200 miles away from me. Guess I've been living under a rock. I googled and found that it is sold in a supermarket 3 miles from me, but it's one I don't frequent, unless I run in for one thing when I'm going by. I will have to be more observant.

RP. Your right. Bell and Evans is expensive. But if you really want a clean chicken, and by that I mean no hormones or other stuff added to the feed, then buy a Kosher chicken. You will find them in a store that serves the Jewish community. The chickens are a little bit smaller, but the flavor in out of this world. It tastes like a chicken. Like your ancestors ate on the farm when they immigrated here. They might cost a little bit more but not as much as B&E chickens, and for the extra few pennies, it is worth it. And they make the best chicken stock or soup in the world. :angel:
Reading earlier that the less expensive ones had 8% saline injected into them THAT makes THEM expensive! (Like I said - bee in my bonnet!). I often find that if I'm buying good quality I can buy less of it so it isn't as expensive a dinner as it looks.

Last edited:
Reading earlier that the less expensive ones had 8% saline injected into them THAT makes THEM expensive! (Like I said - bee in my bonnet!). I often find that if I'm buying good quality I can buy less of it so it isn't as expensive a dinner as it looks.
Agreed

Back
Top Bottom