Accidentally made yogurt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

healthyMan

Assistant Cook
Hello,
Maybe this isn't the right place to ask, but I couldn't find a food spoilage forum anywhere.

I drink a glass of milk warmed for 2 minutes in the microwave on full power everyday before I go to sleep.

This time, it came out looking a lot like a yogurt: solidified and chunky.

The milk was as liquid as usual before I put it in the microwave (it wasn't chunky like it is when it's spoiled), and I microwaved it for 2 minutes on full power ... the same thing I do every night, with the same microwave. But this is the first time this has happened.

I tasted the milk, and I didn't think it was spoiled ... it may have tasted a bit sour (but that might be psychological, since I was *looking for* the sour taste. I've never tasted spoiled milk but some people say "if it's spoiled you'll naturally spit it immediately because of the taste" .. and that didn't happen.

I thought maybe something was wrong, so I dumped out the solidified milk and re-did the same thing. It came out like yogurt again.

Strange.

I haven't intentionally made, yogurt before, but I've read that you need to heat it up and then cool it down .... I didn't cool it down at all, it just came out like that directly out of the microwave after 2 minutes, both times.

Is this unusual ? and, does it mean my milk is spoiled ? Is it safe for me to drink it ?

Since you asked...I gotta say that I wouldn't take a chance. The only time I have seen milk do that is when it has gone bad but there could be other options. In my experience that is what this means even if the expiration date is not close. (Dates can be wrong.)

You didn't make yogurt, you heated spoiled milk.

To make yogurt, you have to have active cultures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom