"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-18-2014, 05:53 AM   #1
Head Chef

Question Adapting a Porchetta recipe.....

I have a recipe for porchetta that uses a 1 kg. rolled pork belly joint. None of my local shops have this but they do have smaller joints of pork belly, i.e. 0.5 kg. The recipe has stuffing that is rolled up and tied.

I am wondering whether buying 2 x 0.5 kg of pork belly, and placing the stuffing inbetween - like a sandwich would work, e.g. similar cooking times etc. I realise that the skin on the bottom belly layer would not crisp up so was thinking of slicing this off and baking it crisp separately.

The original recipe is at a low temp (Mk.2/150o1C) for 2 and a half hours - crisping up the skin under the grill at the end briefly.

Would this sandwich method work or am I overlooking something?

Old 12-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Executive Chef

you could use a rack to keep the bottom piece out of the liquid. I have used a hook to hang meat in the oven before. Just put the rack on the highest level and hang it with a hook and put a drip pan under neath it on the bottom rack or oven floor. I do char siu this way.....

Old 12-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Head Chef

Ah yes of course - the rack solves the issue of keeping the bottom skin unsoggy.

However, the recipe as a whole...would it "work", i.e. be the same approximate cooking times if cooked as 2 slabs with stuffing inbetween, rather than rolled up with the stuffing? It would amount to the same weight but not the same shape. To get an idea of whether the cooking time is likely to be much different would help since it effects what I have with it.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

When I make porchetta, I use pork loin, cut open like a book (so you have a flat rectangle of meat). I then wrap the belly fat around it, so I roll the stuffed pork loin, then roll the belly fat around that and tie it off. My BFF in high school was Italian and that is how her grandma adapted to making porchetta in Northern MN.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
When I make porchetta, I use pork loin, cut open like a book (so you have a flat rectangle of meat). I then wrap the belly fat around it, so I roll the stuffed pork loin, then roll the belly fat around that and tie it off. My BFF in high school was Italian and that is how her grandma adapted to making porchetta in Northern MN.
Yes I know about that method...that also would require a bigger piece of pork belly than is available locally to me.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I think if the "sandwich" is thinner, it will take less time to cook because it won't take as long for the heat to reach the center. Hard to guess how long, though. I've never cooked pork belly.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I think if the "sandwich" is thinner, it will take less time to cook because it won't take as long for the heat to reach the center. Hard to guess how long, though. I've never cooked pork belly.
Ah yes, that makes sense. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Me either, but here's a suggestion born of ignorance, since I don t know the shape of the pieces of belly you are using. Couldn't you start the wrapping, then when you get to the end of the first piece, use a couple of toothpicks to secure the end of the first piece and the beginning of the second piece, finish the wrapping, tie the bundle, then remove the toothpicks?

Keep in mind that I don't even know what these pieces of pork belly look like, so if this is just a stupid idea, be gentle with me.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

RP, that could work, depending on how thick the pieces are.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pork+belly
Old 12-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Don't we get our bacon from pork belly?

Tags
recipe