Adding alcohol to hot mixture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lavenderblonde

Assistant Cook
If you heat a mixture to abut 140 degrees, take it off the heat, and then stir vodka into the mix would all the alcohol evaporate? If so, around what temperature would the mixture have to cool to before the vodka could be mixed in?

Tell us what you are making, and we might have a better idea of how to help you. Sounds like you don't want the alcohol to evaporate--if that is true, the cooler the better.

If you are cooking with alcohol--beef burgundy or something like that--it takes a long time for the alcohol to evaporate.

Tell us what you are making, and we might have a better idea of how to help you. Sounds like you don't want the alcohol to evaporate--if that is true, the cooler the better.

If you are cooking with alcohol--beef burgundy or something like that--it takes a long time for the alcohol to evaporate.

Having a go at adapting a lollipop recipe to make it alcoholic (yeah, it's a long shot!) and we want to add the alcohol at the point when you usually add the flavouring. At that point the mixture is still pretty hot, but it cools rather quickly.

Last edited:
When alcohol is added to a dish, some of it evaporates and some remains behind in the dish.
How much remains behind depends on how long the dish is cooked after the addition of alcohol.

Cooking Method Alcohol Remaining

Alcohol added to boiling liquid and removed from the heat
85%

Flamed 75%

Stirred in and baked or simmered for:

15 minutes 40%

30 minutes 35%

45 minutes 30%

1 hour 25%

1 1/2 hours 20%

2 hours 10%

2 1/2 hours 5%

When alcohol is added to a dish, some of it evaporates and some remains behind in the dish.
How much remains behind depends on how long the dish is cooked after the addition of alcohol.

Cooking Method Alcohol Remaining

Alcohol added to boiling liquid and removed from the heat
85%

Flamed 75%

Stirred in and baked or simmered for:

15 minutes 40%

30 minutes 35%

45 minutes 30%

1 hour 25%

1 1/2 hours 20%

2 hours 10%

2 1/2 hours 5%

So that's if it is added to hot water and taken off the heat immediately afterwards? Then I'd imagine if you added it after it's been taken off the heat, there'd be a little more than 85% left?

So that's if it is added to hot water and taken off the heat immediately afterwards? Then I'd imagine if you added it after it's been taken off the heat, there'd be a little more than 85% left?

That seems to make sense. What's your intent? Do you want to add vodka and have the alcohol NOT evaporate? If so, wait until the dish cools. Not sure what you're making but the vodka will be a harsh addition to the finished dish.

That seems to make sense. What's your intent? Do you want to add vodka and have the alcohol NOT evaporate? If so, wait until the dish cools. Not sure what you're making but the vodka will be a harsh addition to the finished dish.

Yeah, I want the alcohol to not evaporate :) We're having a go at adapting a lollipop recipe to make it alcoholic, but I've never cooked with alcohol before so I wasn't sure if it would work .. I think it will be okay though, if that's the case.

Add it when the mixture is cool and you wont lose any of the alcohol. Even if you add it will to hot water just taken off the heat you will not lose much at all.

Add it when the mixture is cool and you wont lose any of the alcohol. Even if you add it will to hot water just taken off the heat you will not lose much at all.

I can't wait for it to be completely cool, the mix hardens as it cools. But I can wait until it's a bit cooler.

Go ahead and add it while it is still hot. The amount of alcohol that will evaporate will be negligible.

Back
Top Bottom