Adding Bacon Flavor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whos96am

Assistant Cook
i have a recipe from my dehydrator manual for salmon dog treats. i was wondering how to add bacon flavor to the dog treat ( so they would be like the salmon bacon flavored yummie chummies) and will it still be able to be dehydrated? :huh:

Try adding some bacon grease to the flour mixture. It can still be dehydrated or baked.

Lucky dog! :LOL:

The site does look very interesting. I like that their soup bases don't have MSG. I just wonder why a company with "Scandinavian Spice" in its name doesn't sell cardamom.

Back to Bacon Flavoring for Puppy Dogs...the best bet is adding bacon grease. I think soup base would have too much salt for dogs.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to reload on dog treats for work...

I'm not a dehydrating expert but I remember something about fatty things don't dehydrate well.

Isn't jerky usually made with a very lean cut like flank steak?

Are you looking for an argument?:LOL: Catch me later, if you can, I'm getting fast!...I need to get to work!:rolleyes:

We are looking for ways to add dog safe, bacon flavor to salmon treats...:pig:

I'm not a dehydrating expert but I remember something about fatty things don't dehydrate well.

Your absolutely right. I tried it once with bacon. Never again. It was pretty much plastic looking. Bent like a silicone mold. Ewww.. It like Salmon is too fatty. Bacon grease in the treats is safer.

My dehydrator book says that Salmon is ok to use. But only if it's canned, drained of the oils. Fresh Salmon requires a lot of salt and brining before you can even start to dehydrate it.

Your absolutely right. I tried it once with bacon. Never again. It was pretty much plastic looking. Bent like a silicone mold. Ewww.. It like Salmon is too fatty. Bacon grease in the treats is safer.

My dehydrator book says that Salmon is ok to use. But only if it's canned, drained of the oils. Fresh Salmon requires a lot of salt and brining before you can even start to dehydrate it.

Wouldn't that be perfect for a dog chew? :LOL:

How about adding bacon grease after it's dehydrated?

Wouldn't that be perfect for a dog chew? :LOL:

How about adding bacon grease after it's dehydrated?

At the time my intentions were not for dog chews. Looking it over. I didn't trust it even as a dog chew. It could have posed as a choking hazard. If in doubt toss it out.

Brushing bacon grease on afterwards is up to you. I pour some of the bacon grease over my dogs dry kibble. I just don't want to touch greasy dog treats. They're by that time slobbering all over as it is :ROFLMAO:

adding bacon flavor to dog treat

thanks for all of the replies and the small debate

if i took the dried soybean version of bacos (i forget what it''s called) grind it to a powder and put that in the flour would that work too??

i have a Nesco/American Harvest dehydrator and my dehydrator book said that caned salmon was fine and to put liquid and all in a food processor to make a paste that i mix with the flour

the can doesn't say what the salmon is packed in....half tempted to take some salmon i caught myself last summer and bake it for her and make the treats in the oven instead

I'm looking for the TRUTH! :angel:

*You can't handle the truth!*

Oops, sorry! Why the heck Okay, now I'm ready. :)

Looks like Munky answered the question. I only ever did lean beef, because I didn't want fat jerky...never thought sbout how it would come through.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom