Adjusting paella cooking times for larger serving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itm

Assistant Cook
I have a chicken & chorizo paella recipe (link below) which I usually cook in a 30cm pan (4 servings as per the recipe). This pan is the perfect size for 4 servings.

I need to make the same recipe for 8 servings, so will be doubling the ingredients and using a newly-purchased large paella pan. My question is: do I need to extend the cooking times in the recipe and if so, by how much?

Summer Paella Recipe | Sainsbury's

Welcome to DC.

The larger recipe should cook in about the same time. Really, when the rice is done, the dish is done. Rice cooks in about the same amount of time regardless of quantity.

Welcome to DC.

The larger recipe should cook in about the same time. Really, when the rice is done, the dish is done. Rice cooks in about the same amount of time regardless of quantity.

Many thanks for your help. That should simplify things!

I agree with Andy that the rice itself should cook in about the same amount of time, however, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it may take just slightly longer for the Paella to get done. For me, Paella is not necessarily "done" when the rice is cooked through, but rather when it gets that nice crust that forms on the bottom - and that doesn't happen until after the liquid is completely absorbed.

Last edited:
I agree with Andy that the rice itself should cook in about the same amount of time, however, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it may take just slightly longer for the Paella to get done. For me, Paella is not necessarily "done" when the rice is cooked through, but rather when it gets that nice crust that forms on the bottom - and that doesn't happen until after the liquid is completely absorbed.

Interesting - I thought the crust was due to something I was doing wrong before!

The other variable is that the new paella pan is much larger than the ring on the gas hob, so I'll probably need to light two gas rings to cover more of the pan. Do you think that will affect the cooking time significantly?

Interesting - I thought the crust was due to something I was doing wrong before!
In Spain that crust is called la socarrat, and is considered the pinnacle of Paella success!

I can't answer the question about two burners affecting the outcome, as I've never made it on an indoor range. I use my grill as the heat source because the pan I have doesn't really fit well on the stove top.

Last edited:
In Spain that crust is called la socarrat, and is considered the pinnacle of Paella success!

I can't answer the question about two burners affecting the outcome, as I've never made it on an indoor range. I use my grill as the heat source because the pan I have doesn't really fit well on the stove top.

La socarrat eh? Is it supposed to be served and eaten with the paella?

Interesting that you use your grill, rather than the stove. Just checking for UK/US language differences - do you mean a grill from above, or below?

Yes, it's scraped from the pan and served with the paella. To make it, I just gently stir the rice until most of the moisture has been absorbed and then let it sit for a few minutes so the brown crust is formed.

My definition of a grill (I also own an outdoor gas grill):

weber_grill.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it's scraped from the pan and served with the paella. To make it, I just gently stir the rice until most of the moisture has been absorbed and then let it sit for a few minutes so the brown crust is formed.

My definition of a grill (I also own an outdoor gas grill):

weber_grill.jpg

Ah...in the UK we call that a barbecue! Great idea. Do you leave the lid on or off for paella?

Ah...in the UK we call that a barbecue! Great idea. Do you leave the lid on or off for paella?

For the most part I leave the lid off, although while the rice is cooking I may pop it back on for a few minutes to develop a little smoke flavor in the dish.

The grill/barbecue works great because you can evenly distribute the heat source to cover the entire breadth of the pan.

For the most part I leave the lid off, although while the rice is cooking I may pop it back on for a few minutes to develop a little smoke flavor in the dish.

The grill/barbecue works great because you can evenly distribute the heat source to cover the entire breadth of the pan.

Thanks for that - I'll give it a try (weather permitting!)

Thanks for that - I'll give it a try (weather permitting!)
Sounds great! If you're interested, below is a recipe I've found that works well. I don't normally have access to fresh clams, so I leave those out. But otherwise this is a good basis for getting the proportions right. Although the recipe says to always leave the grill uncovered, like I said above, I find that covering the grill for a few minutes while the rice is cooking adds a bit of flavor.

One other piece of advice: make sure to not skimp on the oil and don't let the fire burn too hot, or you'll never get that socarrat separated from your new pan. :)

Good luck!

Paella Perfect : NPR

Sounds great! If you're interested, below is a recipe I've found that works well. I don't normally have access to fresh clams, so I leave those out. But otherwise this is a good basis for getting the proportions right. Although the recipe says to always leave the grill uncovered, like I said above, I find that covering the grill for a few minutes while the rice is cooking adds a bit of flavor.

One other piece of advice: make sure to not skimp on the oil and don't let the fire burn too hot, or you'll never get that socarrat separated from your new pan. :)

Good luck!

Paella Perfect : NPR

Thanks - that looks like a great recipe. I think I'll give it a trial run before I try it out on guests!

La socarrat eh? Is it supposed to be served and eaten with the paella?

Interesting that you use your grill, rather than the stove. Just checking for UK/US language differences - do you mean a grill from above, or below?
He means what we call a barbeque. What we call a grill they call a broiler.

Hi, sorry for bringing an old post up.

I was just curious about paella cooking over here and I think I can help a bit.

Just a couple of comments about what I read:

To make "el socarrat" just turn max heating for about 1min when there are about 5 min left to the liquid is gone. Unfortunately, it will depend on many factors to succeed. Then, it's just a matter of test/error

I read someone stir the rice all the time. That's a shame. Once the stock is boiling it shouldn't be stir, otherwise the rice leave the starch and everything changes. You will have a poor risotto, not a paella.

I hope it helps

Hi, sorry for bringing an old post up.

I was just curious about paella cooking over here and I think I can help a bit.

Just a couple of comments about what I read:

To make "el socarrat" just turn max heating for about 1min when there are about 5 min left to the liquid is gone. Unfortunately, it will depend on many factors to succeed. Then, it's just a matter of test/error

I read someone stir the rice all the time. That's a shame. Once the stock is boiling it shouldn't be stir, otherwise the rice leave the starch and everything changes. You will have a poor risotto, not a paella.

I hope it helps

* sorry, I said when the liquid is gone, but I should have said the cooking time is over. I cannot edit

Back
Top Bottom