"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Adjusting paella cooking times for larger serving?

I have a chicken & chorizo paella recipe (link below) which I usually cook in a 30cm pan (4 servings as per the recipe). This pan is the perfect size for 4 servings.

I need to make the same recipe for 8 servings, so will be doubling the ingredients and using a newly-purchased large paella pan. My question is: do I need to extend the cooking times in the recipe and if so, by how much?

Summer Paella Recipe | Sainsbury's

Old 04-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC.

The larger recipe should cook in about the same time. Really, when the rice is done, the dish is done. Rice cooks in about the same amount of time regardless of quantity.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Welcome to DC.

The larger recipe should cook in about the same time. Really, when the rice is done, the dish is done. Rice cooks in about the same amount of time regardless of quantity.
Many thanks for your help. That should simplify things!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Wine Guy

I agree with Andy that the rice itself should cook in about the same amount of time, however, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it may take just slightly longer for the Paella to get done. For me, Paella is not necessarily "done" when the rice is cooked through, but rather when it gets that nice crust that forms on the bottom - and that doesn't happen until after the liquid is completely absorbed.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I agree with Andy that the rice itself should cook in about the same amount of time, however, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it may take just slightly longer for the Paella to get done. For me, Paella is not necessarily "done" when the rice is cooked through, but rather when it gets that nice crust that forms on the bottom - and that doesn't happen until after the liquid is completely absorbed.
Interesting - I thought the crust was due to something I was doing wrong before!

The other variable is that the new paella pan is much larger than the ring on the gas hob, so I'll probably need to light two gas rings to cover more of the pan. Do you think that will affect the cooking time significantly?
Old 04-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by itm View Post
Interesting - I thought the crust was due to something I was doing wrong before!
In Spain that crust is called la socarrat, and is considered the pinnacle of Paella success!

I can't answer the question about two burners affecting the outcome, as I've never made it on an indoor range. I use my grill as the heat source because the pan I have doesn't really fit well on the stove top.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
In Spain that crust is called la socarrat, and is considered the pinnacle of Paella success!

I can't answer the question about two burners affecting the outcome, as I've never made it on an indoor range. I use my grill as the heat source because the pan I have doesn't really fit well on the stove top.
La socarrat eh? Is it supposed to be served and eaten with the paella?

Interesting that you use your grill, rather than the stove. Just checking for UK/US language differences - do you mean a grill from above, or below?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Wine Guy

Yes, it's scraped from the pan and served with the paella. To make it, I just gently stir the rice until most of the moisture has been absorbed and then let it sit for a few minutes so the brown crust is formed.

My definition of a grill (I also own an outdoor gas grill):

Old 04-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Yes, it's scraped from the pan and served with the paella. To make it, I just gently stir the rice until most of the moisture has been absorbed and then let it sit for a few minutes so the brown crust is formed.

My definition of a grill (I also own an outdoor gas grill):

Ah...in the UK we call that a barbecue! Great idea. Do you leave the lid on or off for paella?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by itm View Post
Ah...in the UK we call that a barbecue! Great idea. Do you leave the lid on or off for paella?
For the most part I leave the lid off, although while the rice is cooking I may pop it back on for a few minutes to develop a little smoke flavor in the dish.

The grill/barbecue works great because you can evenly distribute the heat source to cover the entire breadth of the pan.

Tags
cook, cooking, paella