"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Afraid of salmonella

No....not a pitcher for the Pirates...i am too tired now to google to find out how to properly spell the name of the bacteria. I an do a pretty good job of making casseroles, spaghetti sauce, chili, etc - things that do not require a "lump of meat", but use ground beef. My problem with cook meat is that I do not know know when it is ready and I usually overcook it. I have looked on youtube and found dozens of hits on the topic. Can someone recommend a youtube page or some other webpage that has reliable instructions?

Edit: spelling fixed for you pengyou. ;)

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
Senior Cook
I said I would never buy one of these, too expensive, "I know when it is done", yada yada yada.

Bought one and absolutly love it. I use it to take temps of oil, water(book says 80* water for the bread, so I'm anal enough to do exactly that), beef, pork, chix, everything!

I like it so much that I got one for my Mom and MIL and they both love it.

It is expensive, but imo is well woth it. No more guessing and everyone gets their steak exactly how they like it. Plus it's a "gadget", those are always fun.

Super Fast Splashproof Thermapen Thermometer Red [otp] - $86.00 : US BBQ Supply, Go from smoked to smoking

BigAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
Executive Chef
A lot of pisans are afraid of Sal Manilla. He's a real connected guy from the old neighborhood.

J/k, I couldn't help myself.

Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Senior Cook
I use one of those instant read thermometers, especially with poultry. My fear is handling the meat raw with my hands. I used to have a pump soap on the ledge of my sink but had to keep one hand clean to "pump" the soap. I bought one of those automatic soap dispensers made by Lysol and I love it. Best $10 I ever spent! Going to get one for the bathroom too.
silentmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Master Chef
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
A lot of pisans are afraid of Sal Manilla. He's a real connected guy from the old neighborhood.
J/k, I couldn't help myself.

I've heard he's a very dangerous guy!
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
The salmonella bacteria is killed instantly at 161 F. (72 C). Use an instant read thermometer to check the temperature in the middle of the food. Check several locations.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Master Chef
Salmonella is not usually a problem with a chunk of beef or pork, so it's safe to eat, say, a steak or roast that registers less than 161 in the middle. A steak will be done to "medium" (pinkish in middle) at 140.

Poultry is a whole 'nother story. You really should make sure to cook it to 161-165.

Thermometers aren't expensive; you can buy one at the supermarket.

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote