"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher View Post
What is the source for that chart?

Another member posted that chart some time ago and I saved it. I don't know the source but trust it's reliable because I trust the member who posted it.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
What is the source for that chart?
The USDA, supposedly.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #23
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My BIL is a recovering alcoholic, and neither I nor my sister ever use alcohol in anything that he's going to eat. There are too many other recipes, and too many subs for the booze.

You don't want to feel in any way responsible, should your friend fall off the wagon.

My BIL, even after 15+ years sober, says sometimes just the aroma is enough to give him a real struggle.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

I do very much agree, I would never choose to sneak any ingredient in against someone's wishes or jeopardize my friend's recovery. The chart is very helpful, so I have saved that for cooking in the future. Once again, I thank everyone for their thoughts & wealth of info. I knew this was the right place to pose this question!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #25
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I have to say I would not have thought to ask something like this. It just wouldn't have occurred to me that the small amount of wine I might use in a dish would have any real effect on a recovering alcoholic. Who knew?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I have to say I would not have thought to ask something like this. It just wouldn't have occurred to me that the small amount of wine I might use in a dish would have any real effect on a recovering alcoholic. Who knew?
That has me wondering if it affects the foods they order when in a restaurant that might use alcohol. How would they have any control? No French onion soup?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
With an alcoholic you have to consider the psychological effect as well. Just knowing there is alcohol in the food could cause problems for someone on the edge.
BINGO Andy. You beat me to it, and I couldn't agree more. I love to cook with wine but wouldn't even consider doing it in this case. I further wouldn't bring up the subject to them. First hand knowledge here .

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #28
Sous Chef

I question the chart due to it's simplicity given the complexity and variables of the cooking processes it lists. What you're cooking, surface area of the fluid, stirring, rate of heat transfer and resultant evaporation, etc.

Of course I would never feed something to someone that they explicitly told me they do not consume (food or drink).

It does interest me how far some people would go though. How about things like Vanilla Extract, or foods that are prepared with or create trace amounts of alcohol such as Dijon Mustard, yeast-risen baked goods, most balsamic vinegars, beer battered items, etc.

For some things (such as peanut allergies) this trace issue can be deadly. I'm really curious what the limits are for alcohol.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Beer can chicken, to name another...
Old 01-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I question the chart due to it's simplicity given the complexity and variables of the cooking processes it lists. What you're cooking, surface area of the fluid, stirring, rate of heat transfer and resultant evaporation, etc.

Of course I would never feed something to someone that they explicitly told me they do not consume (food or drink).

It does interest me how far some people would go though. How about things like Vanilla Extract, or foods that are prepared with or create trace amounts of alcohol such as Dijon Mustard, yeast-risen baked goods, most balsamic vinegars, beer battered items, etc.

For some things (such as peanut allergies) this trace issue can be deadly. I'm really curious what the limits are for alcohol.

You make a good point about the chart. I take it as a guideline that helps one understand that the old saw about alcohol's cooking off is not true. For people who don't have a problem with alcohol, the small amounts remaining are not an issue. It's the others we have to be careful about.

I don't think you can identify the limits for alcohol for an alcoholic. Each individual is different and their sensitivities will vary. That's why your approach of never feeding someone a food they are sensitive/allergic is the way to go.