Alfredo Sauces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
I always make my own sauces , tomato, alfredo etc.
But sometimes time isn't on my side and I always have a jar sauce on hand that i doctor up. It took me many of trial to find a jar pasta sauce that We liked.
I love alfredo pizza with artichoke, spinach and chooped tomatoes, but sometime don't feel like making the sauce

Now, so I don't have to do that again if possiable and shorten my list of brands, does anyone have a already made jar Alfredo sauce that you like. I looked at the grocery store and there is at least 8 different brands.
thanks

Just to say...
I'm all in favor of doctoring up a tomato sauce and did so myself for years, but that's because making a decent sauce takes a bit of time. Alfredo sauce is so quick it would probably take just as long to gently heat up the jar.
Here's the recipe I use (more or less) Quick and Easy Alfredo Sauce Recipe - Allrecipes.com

So let me be the first to answer your question with something you aren't looking for :LOL:

Let me jump in and not answer your question too. I learned to make Alfredo sauce from a woman I was dating back in the late 90s. I asked her if it froze well so I could make a large batch and freeze meal-sized portions. Her response was, "It's too easy to make. Always make it fresh.".

I just use butter, minced garlic, Parmigiano Reggiano and heavy cream. Season with black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.

thanks ---
I do make my own the way andy M does. but sometimes I just want to throw and go so to speak and opening a jar would be nice but if there isn't any good ones out there I can surely live without a jar or premade and make it myself

Hmm. I had a jarred Alfredo once that was great straight out of the jar. Which is actually how I ate it, with a spoon, straight out of the jar....

Prego, Bertolli, Classico, Trader Joe's, shoot, I don't remember the brand. Maybe check out the ingredient lists and see which ones you like the best?

Last edited:
Simple sauce, I take 2 cups of heavy cream, bring it to an almost boil, add 1/2 cup of siffted graded cheese,wisk until cheese melts then add 2 egg yokes to thicken,garnish with peas.
I sift the greaded cheese to get the fillers out.

I usually get Bertolli's alfredo sauce for jarred. Prego has little flavor, Classico tasted "off" kind of "fake". Have never had Trader Joe's. But Bertolli's is pretty good. When I want to pick up a jar that's what I get. I've not used it on pizza but it makes a good pasta side dish with angelhair pasta.

Another vote for the Bertolli's. If you're using it for pizza, any of the thicker jarred sauces will do.

Homemade Alfredo

My homemade alfredo gets great reviews from everyone. The key is that I make it with Romano cheese instead of Parmesan. Romano is generally aged longer, so it has a stronger aged cheese flavor. It is saltier though, so I compensate by using unsalted butter. The recipe is very simple, but the attached file is wordy because I've used it as a teaching recipe.

Most importantly, do NOT use Romano or Parmesan from a shaker container. They frequently contain an anti-caking ingredient that prevents the cheese from melting smoothly, resulting in lots of micro-lumps.

-Bill

Attachments

• Alfredo Sauce.pdf
    45 KB · Views: 198
Simple sauce, I take 2 cups of heavy cream, bring it to an almost boil, add 1/2 cup of siffted graded cheese,wisk until cheese melts then add 2 egg yokes to thicken,garnish with peas.
I sift the greaded cheese to get the fillers out.

Sifted? What do you mean by this? Fillers? What do you mean by this?

Sifted? What do you mean by this? Fillers? What do you mean by this?

I think they meant sifted, fine grated cheese. Probably run through a flour sifter. Man, I'd hate to clean that sifter afterwards!:ohmy:

I hope they aren't talking about the dreaded Green Can!:(

Last edited:
I think they meant sifted, fine grated cheese. Probably run through a flour sifter. Man, I'd hate to clean that sifter afterwards!:ohmy:

I hope they aren't talking about the dreaded Green Can!:(

Yup! Read the ingredients of that green can. It is not just cheese.

I realize it will add time to your shopping experience if you stop and read the labels on your purchases. But it is amazing what they add to your food. Some day when you are going to shop alone and have time to spare, make it a point to find out what is in your food. Quite an education.

Remember Hunt's Ketchup? They took out the corn syrup. Even made it a point on their label. Then they got sneaky and put it back in. I don't know about organic ketchup, but the only one I can now find that doesn't have the corn syrup is the "Simply Heinz."

You HAVE to read those back labels.

I have had several folks recommend Bertolli's also. :angel:

Last edited:
Most jarred or canned grated cheese has fillers in it. When you sift it, you leave behind the course fillers that will effect the melding of cheese and cream. Egg yokes are for color and thickening and must be tempered into the mixture. I don't use a flour sifter, but I use a wire mesh colander There is no clean up as the fillers left behine are hard as a rock, so just dump them into the trash. If your using fresh chees there is no need to sift!

I keep a wedge of parmigiano reggiano and one of pecorino romano in the fridge at all times. You can get a giant pile of grated cheese from a small wedge of cheese and it tastes great and has no fillers. No fillers/Tastes great.

You can grate it fine or coarse, peel off curls with a vegetable peeler or cut slices for nibbling.

...and no back labels to decipher.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom