"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-13-2005, 11:40 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Alternative to Wine

what's the most ideal ingredient to red wine or any other type of wine in recipes such as pasta etc
i always have problems when i cook something that requires wine as i can't add it due to religious reasons
any advice appreciated

Old 11-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

marissa, welcome to Discuss Cooking. You'll like it here.

Depending on the recipe, you can just skip the wine, or substitute water, broth, fruit juice, etc.

Old 11-13-2005, 11:50 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi Marissa - a big warm welcome to DC!!!

I'm not able to eat (consume) any alcohol either, and I've found that depending on the recipe you are using stock of some sort is often the best thing to replace alcohol with. Try to match your stock (broth) with the type of dish, so if a chicken recipe called for white wine use chicken or turkey stock. Sometimes milk/cream or apple (or other jucies) can replace wine too, and a simple sugar syrup, fruit juice or a light caramel can sometimes work with desserts like poached or baked fruits

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:00 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

thanks for the warm welcome
yeah i usually simply ignore the wine bit and it comes out great, but i always wonder how much better it would taste if i added at least anything else...so i guess i'll go with stock
for some reason my mum always tells me to add vinegar instead of wine, i've never actually tried that, it sounds too out of place
what do u guys think abt that?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:10 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi Marissa, I think that if it was a small amount of wine (aka a TBSP) you could do it, but other wise a lot of vinegar could really warp a recipe! Imagine a stew recipe that called for two cups of red wine, I tend to think that 2 cups of vinegar could make it taste awful and very bitter/sour/acid. It's not a bad thought though to add a little hint of vinegar if a recipe called for wine. (I love balsamic vinegar for cooking )

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:58 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I wouldn't replace the entire wine amount with the same amount of vinegar!

Depending on the size of the recipe, a tablespoon or two would freshen the taste of the dish without giving it a vinegary taste. Try a little and then add more if you think it is working.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
Master Chef

I'm not that crazy about red wine as a rule, so I use stock instead for most things.
My ex MIL was a teetotler, but she would eat my fruitcake, which I doused with Apricot brandy once a week for 4 weeks before Christmas. I think her reasoning was that if it was in food, it was OK.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Welcome to the site. Like the others have said, it depends on the recipe. Some recipes will lend themselves very well to a substitute,but others will not. Chicken or veal marsala, for instance, can not be made without wine. There is nothing else that will give you that specific flavor and since that is the main flavor of the dish then it really does need the wine. Luckily for you this type of dish is the minority.

Stock or juices often work well as subs. If the dish uses the wine for the fruity taste then try using juice. You mom probably suggested vinegar for it's acidity. Like Andy said, don't use the same amount as you would wine. Start with just a little and see how it goes. You could also try something like lemon or lime juice (again depending on the recipe) if it is the acidity you are after.

If you want, post some specific recipes and we can help you figure out some good alternatives for the alcohol.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:05 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

you wouldnt be consuming "alcohol" as it is evaporated by cooking.

That being said, balsamico adds a nice bite.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:12 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Rocker
you wouldnt be consuming "alcohol" as it is evaporated by cooking.
In most cases this is not true. Here is a chart that will show you how much alcohol is actually left after cooking. You would be surprised at the amounts.