Aluminum Foil in Slow Cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PianoAl

Cook
My wife often puts a loose layer of aluminum foil over the meat (e.g. a chuck steak) in the slow cooker. Since there is no kind of seal, I don't think this makes any difference.

What do you think?

I've seen that PBS goof with the bow tie line a slow cooker with aluminium foil to keep food up against the sides from overcooking.

Seems to me that you might pick up a bit of metallic taste with long cooking times with acidic foods. Recipes commonly call for marinating in non-metallic containers. That said, I've done baked potatoes wrapped in foil in a slow cooker that came out just fine.

I've seen that PBS goof with the bow tie line a slow cooker with aluminium foil to keep food up against the sides from overcooking.

He used to introduce his show with "... where we make a recipe hundreds of times so you only have to make it once."

I sent him an email: "Have you really made a single recipe 200 times?"

And he replied "Yes."

I still don't believe it. Even making variations of a recipe hundreds of times doesn't sound reasonable.

The show has some good tips, however.

I don't think Christopher Kimball himself has made the same recipe 200 times, but it's possible the minions have.

Back
Top Bottom