"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2018, 07:34 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
...Live dangerously - experiment with foods that are new to you. You never know, you might like them.
"Trendy" doesn't always mean new, MC. My biggest complaint is that many things that once used to be "food" are now trendy. They are trendy now because a food TV show or host has started to promote an item. Or a social "influencer" talks about something and all of a sudden all her/his followers just HAVE to have/do it.

Just a few years ago I was able to buy beef shanks for soup cheap - $1.99 to $2.49 per pound. Then someone decides to refer to them as "beef osso bucco" and the price near me has shot up to $5.99! Cauliflower used to be a vegetable. Now, since it's being used in place of rice or pizza crusts, the $2 head of cauliflower is rarely below $3 in just a few years time. Meanwhile, its cousin the crown of broccoli, has not experienced the same jump in price. That might be because now the stems are lopped off the crown, shredded, and sold to be used a "broccoli slaw", in case you aren't friends with cabbage.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to bore anyone.

PS - For me, any beer that needs the addition of fruit to make it tasty isn't really beer. Unless you're talking about a Lambic which, to my taste buds, more resembles a bubbly wine. I haven't tried it yet, but I bet I could pass it off as sparking wine to my best friend who swears she hates beer.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Quiche is hardly "new". The French have been eating it for centuries....

...Cauliflower - what's not to like? I serve it as my mum did - with cheese sauce, or in macaroni cheese, curry or soup. Cauliflower "rice" seems a bit odd but each to their own...

...None-dairy milks - if you are vegan or allergic to or simply dislike cow's milk you should eat your cornflakes dry? Take your tea black? (I have to say that I find soya milk pretty vile but the others aren't bad.)

...As for quinoa, what's not to like or dislike? It's a change from rice or couscous as an accompaniment to other dishes.

I'm inclined to think that if one is not introduced to a variety of foods as a child you probably will be "faddy" about food and reluctant to try new things when you grow up.

...Live dangerously - experiment with foods that are new to you. You never know, you might like them.
-I didn't say quiche was new. It was a fad a number of years ago. That's when I formed my opinion.

-What's not to like? It has no taste. I mostly eat veggies steamed and plain. You, as most others only ever mention it in conjunction with cheese sauce, macaroni and cheese or curry or soup. Try broccoli instead.

-As I said before, I'm not suggesting this is for others. Do what you want. I'm talking about my preferences.

-What's not to like? I don't like or dislike it. I was put off by its 15 minutes of fame.

-Thanks for your gratuitous psychoanalysis. I enjoy a wide variety of foods from many cultures.

-I don't consider trying new foods to be living dangerously. Sorry you feel that way.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:14 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Another dish that seems to be making a comeback: Croque Monsieur or Madame. They seem to be popping up on restaurant menus and recipe pages. Donít know how the Monte Cristo got lost in the fray.

Leave it to millenniums to glorify whatís basically a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Some article I read said the Croque Madame is so named because the egg on top looks like a womanís hat. HAT??? It doesnít look like a hat to me! More like a nippleless breast!
Old 09-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I've usually tried many of the ongoing fads as they came about. Mostly from some friend or family member swearing it was the greatest thing, plus my wife having her own missions in life.

How you doin', Andy. Good? I hope so. You sound good.

I'm OK as well.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I generally won't try something while it is a fad. And as Andy said, it doesn't have to be new to be a fad. Many foods that become fads get weird. They get exaggerated. People make variations where some are good, but many are awful or just detract from the perfectly good original. Also, as CG mentioned, fads often make ordinary foods expensive.

I'll try a bit of some fad food, if I'm at a potluck or a buffet. Sometimes I manage to try something "new" before it becomes a fad, e.g., lime in beer. Sometimes that is nice, but usually, I prefer straight beer or a shandy. Wait, that's another example. I was drinking shandies before they became a fad.

For anyone who thinks cauliflower is bland, try it raw.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Here's the problem. I have become very anti-fad (or very discerning) Whenever I see or hear of a new fad, food or otherwise, I'm immediately turned off by it because I know it will be overdone and become obnoxious.

I never/seldom have had: quiche, kale, cauliflower, pumpkin spice (only in pumpkin pies and rolls), coconut oil, lime in my beer, non-dairy "milks", quinoa, and a host of other things.

I suppose it's remotely possible I'd like some of these things if I just gave them a chance but I'm stubborn so that's not likely.

I ask you all, am I alone in this?

Andy, I'm with you!

I do not like fad DIETS!!! REALLY!!
I understand that some folks can't digest certain foods
and that's a whole different bag of beans,
but
Old 09-22-2018, 10:46 PM   #17
Everymom

Andy, I get like that too. I will try some things, but will dig in my heels and avoid MOST fad items. Iím particularly annoyed with the kale, cauliflower, gluten free, keno etc everything...

Mostly, it annoys me because there are so many people who will then attempt to change how I eat. Iím happy to let others make their own choices and would appreciate the same consideration.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:48 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I've usually tried many of the ongoing fads as they came about. Mostly from some friend or family member swearing it was the greatest thing, plus my wife having her own missions in life.
l.

Hmm, having re-read that, I should say that I'd tasted each fad.

Next!
Old 09-22-2018, 11:47 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I tend to be drawn to these “fads,” perhaps I spend too much time on the pad.

Well, not cauliflower, riced or otherwise. It looks too much like some evil vegetable brain! But there’s no excuse for kale. And it’s not tolerated well by people with cardiac issues. This, from a person who likes nori, although I think that’s an acquired taste, not an innate one. And if no one has made a chia-peach pie in a very long time, you gotta wonder - maybe there’s a reason no one’s made it for thousands of years? Besides, trying to sneak healthy vegetables, legumes, and fruits into already delicious is an old old trick.

What was it Nora Ephron wrote? It was in her novel Heartburn. The main character, a chef, is payed to research new ways to use capers. She writes something like “After three months of putting capers in and on everything, I’ve discovered one thing. Anything good with capers is better without them. There’s a reason nobody has ever put capers in lime sorbet.” Or something like that. I love capers, btw.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:55 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I tend to be drawn to these ďfads,Ē perhaps I spend too much time on the pad.

Well, not cauliflower, riced or otherwise. It looks too much like some evil vegetable brain! But thereís no excuse for kale. And itís not tolerated well by people with cardiac issues. This, from a person who likes nori, although I think thatís an acquired taste, not an innate one. And if no one has made a chia-peach pie in a very long time, you gotta wonder - maybe thereís a reason no oneís made it for thousands of years? Besides, trying to sneak healthy vegetables, legumes, and fruits into already delicious is an old old trick.

What was it Nora Ephron wrote? It was in her novel Heartburn. The main character, a chef, is payed to research new ways to use capers. She writes something like ďAfter three months of putting capers in and on everything, Iíve discovered one thing. Anything good with capers is better without them. Thereís a reason nobody has ever put capers in lime sorbet.Ē Or something like that. I love capers, btw.

Okay now, let's stop this train-wreck of trashing Kale!

Italians have been cooking with Kale for longer than probably any of us have been alive. That's one of their "go-to" greens.
Think Zuppa Toscana, or pretty much any Italian Soup, they use KALE!
I feel that any vegetable cooked to ones own liking can be delicious,
EVEN BRUSSELS SPROUTS!!