"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Am I Alone In This?

Here's the problem. I have become very anti-fad (or very discerning) Whenever I see or hear of a new fad, food or otherwise, I'm immediately turned off by it because I know it will be overdone and become obnoxious.

I never/seldom have had: quiche, kale, cauliflower, pumpkin spice (only in pumpkin pies and rolls), coconut oil, lime in my beer, non-dairy "milks", quinoa, and a host of other things.

I suppose it's remotely possible I'd like some of these things if I just gave them a chance but I'm stubborn so that's not likely.

I ask you all, am I alone in this?

Old 09-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't think it's a problem. I'm pretty much anti fad as well, broader, not just with food.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quiche is no new fad, and I love it! I had it for the first time about thirty years ago, and it is still popular, so it's passed the "fad" stage.

I've been eating cauliflower since I was a child, so that would be about 50 years. It is rather bland by itself, but takes sauces very well.

I also like a lime wedge in my Tecate or Pacifico. I don't drink Corona (talk about trendy). Mexicans have been putting lime in their beers for who knows how long. A beer cocktail called a michelada consists of light beer with lime juice, salt, and sometimes chili powder.

I don't like kale, or non-dairy milks.

Try quiche! Quiche Lorraine is my favorite -- it has BACON!

CD
Old 09-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I have that reaction, too. I wouldn't put quiche or cauliflower - except cauliflower "rice" and "crust" - in that category, though. The first time I had quiche was when my high school French class went on a field trip to Toronto, Canada and we ate at a French restaurant. Quiche Lorraine is delicious. For many years, I've made quiche on the Saturday after Thanksgiving with turkey, Havarti and roasted red peppers

I don't have pumpkin spice, but I have Penzeys Pie Spice, which is similar. It's really good - it includes four kinds of cinnamon, anise seed and vanilla sugar in addition to the traditional pumpkin pie spices. I use it in oatmeal-raisin cookies as well as pumpkin pie. But the pumpkin pie spiced everything in the stores? Nah. I'll spice my own food.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I have no issue with pumpkin spice in pies, cakes, and maybe cookies. But the "fad" seems to be to see how many things you can put pumpkin spice in. Pumpkin Spice Potato Chips? Give me a break.

Now, I do love punkin' chunkin' competitions. I'd like to do this to some pumpkin spice products.

CD
Old 09-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Like others have said, quiche and cauliflower aren't new and trendy. I, too, have been eating an occasional slice of quiche since the 1970s. Cauliflower, as a food item and not as an ingredient, has been on my plate far longer than that. In my kitchen, rice is rice and pizza uses a flour dough.

I'm not one for "NEW!" or "TRENDY!", but if I think a food has merit, I will give it a chance. We tried kale. Once. I think Himself nailed it when he said it reminded him of the frilly plastic "lettuce" that some meat departments would use to divide the different meat products. Considering that collard greens, Swiss chard, et al have the same basic nutritional qualities, we stick with what we like.

Pumpkin spices belong in pumpkin pie. If you want to use them in another food item because you like it? Fine with me as long as you don't make me eat it. But forget things like Pumpkin Spice soap, hummus, and deodorant.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
Master Chef

Several of those I don't really consider fads, with the exception of pumpkin spice everything , and maybe coconut oil.

I've been eating and enjoying cauliflower for decades and especially love it roasted. As GG said though, the pizza crusts and other variations of it are kind of 'faddy'. I love quiche and first had it at a wedding reception about 45 years ago - but I love most egg dishes. Quinoa takes on whatever flavor it's mixed with and I have a few fave summer salad dishes I use it in, but never eat it just plain.

On the rare occasion I drink beer, I really like a wedge of lime in a frosty mug of Modelo or Corona, usually it's with a Mexican feast.

I like kale in some soups, but I wouldn't just eat a bowlful of it plain. No non-dairy 'milks' for me.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quiche, like quinoa, was a fad some years ago. I make frittatas instead-no crust.

With cauliflower, I just never cared for it except pickled. Lately, it's become trendy to make everything out of it-pizza crust, rice etc. I can't tell you how many times I've had people tell me how great it tastes with a certain sauce or with bacon sausage and cheese, etc. If you have to doctor it up with delicious toppings that would make anything taste good, why bother?

My issue with pumpkin spice is all the things it's put into these days. Starting next month, you won't be able to escape the pumpkin spice deluge.

Please don't get me wrong. I realize a lot of folks enjoy these things I've listed and that's great. My rant isn't a criticism of you our your tastes. It's a comment about my feelings.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Fads come and go as the generations go by and young people "discover" something new to them. Of course, the cauliflower thing is because of all the low-carb diets that are popular lately. Many people really miss the carbs, or the easy things you can do with them, like wraps and crusts, but gluten is tough to imitate.

My mom used to make steamed whole cauliflower and cover it with cheese sauce I always liked it as part of a relish tray, but I can't eat it now and DH doesn't like it.

I have the same issue with pumpkin spice. It's become a silly caricature.

Bone broth is the one that really amuses me. It's just stock! It doesn't become healthier if you cook it for three days!
Old 09-22-2018, 05:53 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Here's the problem. I have become very anti-fad (or very discerning) Whenever I see or hear of a new fad, food or otherwise, I'm immediately turned off by it because I know it will be overdone and become obnoxious.

I never/seldom have had: quiche, kale, cauliflower, pumpkin spice (only in pumpkin pies and rolls), coconut oil, lime in my beer, non-dairy "milks", quinoa, and a host of other things.

I suppose it's remotely possible I'd like some of these things if I just gave them a chance but I'm stubborn so that's not likely.

I ask you all, am I alone in this?
Quiche is hardly "new". The French have been eating it for centuries. And I believe the Germans ate it before the French! Well made to a proper recipe, it's delicious but sadly, modern commercial varieties, at least in GB, are pretty disgusting. It needs cream, not skimmed milk and if you use cheese it needs to be good cheese not "mousetrap" - although there is some disagreement about the correctness of cheese in Quiche Lorraine

Kale is disgusting. You haven't missed much. It was formerly cattle feed in the UK but, given it's current fashion status, it's probably priced out of the range of most cows. I've tried it all sorts of ways and it's always vile (and I love all other varieties of the cabbage family).

Cauliflower - what's not to like? I serve it as my mum did - with cheese sauce, or in macaroni cheese, curry or soup. Cauliflower "rice" seems a bit odd but each to their own.

Lime in beer ????

None-dairy milks - if you are vegan or allergic to or simply dislike cow's milk you should eat your cornflakes dry? Take your tea black? (I have to say that I find soya milk pretty vile but the others aren't bad.)

Can't comment on coconut oil. I have a jar in my cupboard but haven't got round to using it yet.

As for quinoa, what's not to like or dislike? It's a change from rice or couscous as an accompaniment to other dishes.

I'm inclined to think that if one is not introduced to a variety of foods as a child you probably will be "faddy" about food and reluctant to try new things when you grow up. My mother never made a fuss at mealtimes but I was always expected to try things at least once. If I really didn't like a thing I didn't have to finish it but I had to try it. This method work especially well with brussells sprouts. I didn't like them as a child but there was always one sprout on my plate and I was expected to eat it - no fuss and palaver from Ma or me. Glad I did as they are one of my favourite veggies now.

Live dangerously - experiment with foods that are new to you. You never know, you might like them.