"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
So let it be written,...

And lettuce be forewarned.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

America's Test Kitchen had an excellent segment on 10-steps to the perfect turkey. One tip was to line the cavity with cheese cloth and put 2 c of stuffing there, tie the cheese cloth. Start the turkey breast down. When it reaches 130, flip it and ake out the cheese cloth sack. Continue cooking the bird until the temp is 161. Mix the stuffing that was in the pouch with the rest of the stuffing and finish in the oven while the turkey is resting. I imagine you can find the segment on ATK's web site.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Bakechef, I got a good laugh! Turkey droppings and bribery...
I really need to pay more attention when posting from my phone!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caslon View Post
by golly you tell 'em. I've had turkey so properly moist, the gravy had nothing to do.

Attachment 12251
Old 10-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #45
Cook

Thank you guys for all the tips and tricks! I swear imma give myself a stroke worrying about this, I just want it to be perfect. So obnoxiously perfect that when my mom takes a bite of my turkey, she says "Meh". Which would mean that the heavens have opened and rained gold upon us, ha.

One of you mentioned a counter-top roaster, which I have been considering. I am short on oven space, and am already cooking at minimum my ham on the grill. I learned that the grill can be used as an oven during a power stealing wind storm a few years ago that happened one hour after I put two chickens in the oven to roast. I have been researching the roasters, and they seem to be very helpful in providing additional faux oven space. However, my main concern with them has been their ability to provide a perfectly browned bird? I think that with all the techniques and recipes that my obsessive research/you lovely people have provided will give me a tasty bird, but dam it I want it to be pretty too! A pale turkey will be a bullet in the gun for my mom, God love her.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Lisa, you will be fine! We've all been there! Don't overthink it, the best part is time with family! (or not...)

And when in doubt, get out the blowtorch. For the skin, I mean.

And don't forget to take the giblets out of the cavities.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaluvstocook
Thank you guys for all the tips and tricks! I swear imma give myself a stroke worrying about this, I just want it to be perfect. So obnoxiously perfect that when my mom takes a bite of my turkey, she says "Meh". Which would mean that the heavens have opened and rained gold upon us, ha.

One of you mentioned a counter-top roaster, which I have been considering. I am short on oven space, and am already cooking at minimum my ham on the grill. I learned that the grill can be used as an oven during a power stealing wind storm a few years ago that happened one hour after I put two chickens in the oven to roast. I have been researching the roasters, and they seem to be very helpful in providing additional faux oven space. However, my main concern with them has been their ability to provide a perfectly browned bird? I think that with all the techniques and recipes that my obsessive research/you lovely people have provided will give me a tasty bird, but dam it I want it to be pretty too! A pale turkey will be a bullet in the gun for my mom, God love her.
Take deep breaths and try to relax. Trying too hard and over stressing will only make things more difficult. It sounds like you've done your research and have all the information you need. Good luck and let us know how the practice turkey goes.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:22 AM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaluvstocook View Post

Cut your Mom some slack and make a couple of mistakes!

It's not always easy to pass the holiday traditions on to the next generation.

Above all, relax and have some fun!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #49
Head Chef

My mother always stuffed the bird. I have broken away from that tradition. I find that I have better luck getting the bird cooked properly without having to worry about getting the stuffing done too. It cooks faster and more predictably, and the stuffing I make outside of the bird gets rave reviews. I got the basic recipe from Food and Wine magazine. I like a savory stuffing, so I add sage and rosemary to the thyme in the recipe. I also find that this recipe overfills the recommended 9x13 pan - I usually have to put some in a smaller Corningware casserole dish. It cooks up as a moist and wonderful stuffing.

Wild Mushroom Stuffing
Serves 12
  1. 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  2. 1 1/2 pounds mixed fresh mushrooms, tough stems removed, mushrooms cut into 1-inch pieces
  3. 4 medium shallots, finely chopped
  4. 4 large garlic cloves, minced
  5. 2 large celery ribs, finely chopped
  6. 1 medium onion, chopped
  7. 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme- (I add about 2 tsp sage and 1 tsp rosemary)
  8. 1 cup dry white wine
  9. 5 cups Chicken Stock or canned low-sodium broth
  10. Salt and freshly ground pepper
  11. One 1-pound loaf of peasant bread, cut into 1/2-inch dice and toasted until dry
  12. 2 cups heavy cream
  13. 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  14. 3 large eggs, beaten

1. In a large nonreactive skillet, melt 5 tablespoons of the butter. Add the mushrooms and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned. Stir in the shallots, garlic, celery, onion and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the thyme. Cook until all the vegetables are softened slightly. Stir in the wine and simmer until almost evaporated. Add 2 cups of the Chicken Stock and simmer over moderate heat until the liquid reduces and thickens, about 13 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
  2. Add the toasted bread to the bowl along with the remaining 3 cups stock and 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme. Stir in the cream and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the eggs and mix well. Spoon the stuffing into a buttered 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish and dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350°. Cover the stuffing with foil and bake in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for about 30 minutes longer, or until the top is golden and crisp and the stuffing is firm. Let rest for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Make Ahead: The stuffing can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking. Serve With Turkey.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #50
Master Chef

Check your private messages.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turkey