Am I too late to learn!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sounds good, and Verablue, I don't think your daughter has wasted anything of her two years...all that will come to good use...either in the kitchen or front of house, as personnel or customer relations, you name it. And if she goes for a BPS in culinary or baking, some core courses may be transferable.

hahaha, so far, most of what she's taken has been in the human sexuality realm, hahaha. Makes for interesting dinner conversation, to be sure.

It's never too late to learn...no matter what it is. I think an important factor is ones desire to pursue their dream. Are you willing to do the hard work that is probably necessary? How 'bout long, tiring hours? As well as the stress and criticism/abuse from fellow workers/employees and customers? Is your love of cooking/presentation/hospitality great enough to "enjoy" all of the above? Hmmm?

Having said that, I truly appreciate those folks who "pleasure" me with their wonderful dishes and great service. I'm glad you're here.

It is hard to imagine 22 being too old for anything. But I do agree with those who tell you how tough it is. I thought I'd like doing it, but became a waitress first and learned how hard it would be from observation. Remember, you have to be at work hours before a meal is put out. You don't "just" get to do the "fun" part. Even the best of restaurant kitchens are very, very hot, sweaty work. Look at a pro chef's hands some time and learn how often you cut yourself (and keep on going). A lot of people cook a special meal for their family or friends once in awhile and don't have a clue as to how it is to fix meal after meal after meal. In restaurants you don't get to cook what pleases YOU, you have to please hundreds. The person who loved what you fixed last week wants it to taste exactly the same when they bring friends this week. Serving staff have a high turnover, so can be unpredictable, and they are your representative to the customer. It is all very unpredictable and is simply a lot of hard work. AND you don't get to start at the top. You have to take orders, literally and figuratively.

It's never too late...I have a couple of degrees, 13 going on 40...hee hee and planning to attend a culinary school. Never let anyone tell you you can't do something.

I would suggest you spend time "working" in a restaurant as a cook, or any other position to observe what the lifestyle is like.

It's one thing to love cooking, it's entirely a different thing to make it your "living". I'd love to be a "chef" to make a living, but I am not prepared to be one because it takes a lot more work then I'd be able to commit to be a "good" chef at a real restaurant. That is what I learned after two years of food prep work at a couple of restaurants when I was younger.

Pure Sillyness!

hi all

just spoke to my dad yesterday that i want to take cooking seriously and go to cooking school/college. At the moment i am casual cooking fanatic but i am in university doing music production and i wont graduate until i am 22 (2009). After telling my dad this he said that it is too late for me to learn to cook profesionally and after when he said that to me i felt like he was right in someway and my dreams has kinda shattered.

Any advice?

Cheers

Aaron

Unshatter your dream young man and don't let anyone bust it again - not even dads because we for a fact don't know nearly as much as we think we know. Go for your dream - Finish up your music production idea and then get on the cooking any way you can - you will be able to start somewhat upscale, not flipping something in a fast food place. Start looking at options and doing some long range planning using the thoughts of some top chefs. You will have to pay your dues in anything!:chef:

Back
Top Bottom