"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Am I too late to learn!?

hi all

just spoke to my dad yesterday that i want to take cooking seriously and go to cooking school/college. At the moment i am casual cooking fanatic but i am in university doing music production and i wont graduate until i am 22 (2009). After telling my dad this he said that it is too late for me to learn to cook profesionally and after when he said that to me i felt like he was right in someway and my dreams has kinda shattered.

Any advice?

Cheers

Aaron

Old 10-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

With all due respect to your dad, I don;t think it's too late.

Do what you want. You don't want to live you life regretting what you never did.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Lets see 22 in 2009, makes you around 20 now! If you were my son my advice would be...Be sure it is what you really want to do! If so, then go for it with everything you've got! It is not to late. Hey! Maybe you could do both! Finish your Music Production degree. Then Culinary School! It's not to late to do that either!!! Good Luck with whatever choice you make!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Many students at culinary school have a 4 year college degree and then go for an associates in occupational studies (standard culinary degree). It's not too late. In my class at CIA there were: a student going for his second culinary degree (had baking was adding culinary), an elementary teacher, a realtor, a professional cook going for degree studies, two folks just out of the army, me, (at the time I had two college degrees already), in fact just about half of us already had professional training or college and were adding this. Why? Interest, business, whatever. You may end up a cook or chef, caterer, shop owner, restauranteur, writer, who knows. And frankly the skills you will have from Musical production be they live or studio, will only add to your skill set as a food service professional. If it's what you want, go for it!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Are you related to my daughter?? My daughter has completed a full year, and is currently in her second year at a nice university in NYC. She's a psychology major. We had an enlightening family discussion recently regarding what she really wants to do...drop out of the psych program, leave that school and enroll in a culinary institute.

I cannot say we're disappointed, but we were surprised. I'm a chef, so it's not like the idea of cooking professionally comes from left field. What was surprising is that she didn't take this road, originally. What is disenheartening is all the money that has already been applied to a profession she never really had an interest in.

If you want to switch direction, please do it now, before overmuch more money is spent on something you won't pursue. Do all your research before you make the change. Find out how many hours you have to spend in the classroom, and in externship. What type of degree will you exit the program with, and how are they with job placement assistance.

Finally.......this profession is nothing like any of those chef shows you see on television. The competition for a position is great enough that many cooks are hired for under 10 bucks an hour. You'll work nights, weekends and holidays. You'll be criticized mercilously. Your back and knees will give you problems before you are 30.

There are numerous pluses to this industry, as well. The fun part is in discovering those, for yourself.

I suggest you have another discussion with your family. Come prepared with facts, figures and goals. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

It is never too late to learn. If it is something you want to do, you should pursue it.
Speaking as a father of three....I would never tell one of my kids that they are too late to learn to do anything. I wish you success in whatever you decide to do.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

What Hoot said I have a friend who was a nuclear engineer for Westinghouse. In his early 40s, he decided he wanted to be a doctor - that's 4 years of medical school and 3 years of residency. It's never too late to follow your dream, especially at 20 or so. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thank you so much guys, you made me so happy

i think at the moment i just got to prove to my dad what i am capable of in the kitchen. Al i am going to do now is to concentrate getting this degree as well as researching/thinking and praying to god about my future.

Thanks All

Aaron
Old 10-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
It is never too late to learn!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicouk View Post
Thank you so much guys, you made me so happy

i think at the moment i just got to prove to my dad what i am capable of in the kitchen. Al i am going to do now is to concentrate getting this degree as well as researching/thinking and praying to god about my future.

Thanks All

Aaron
Sounds like a good plan Aaron!