"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #101
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Some of us like it (Indian pudding) Addie. Properly done, it can be very flavorful and the texture is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
To each there own.
Agreed! And that's a wonderful thing. But I didn't want your adjectives of "nasty" and "disgusting" to discourage anyone who might happen upon it and think of trying it to think that everyone thinks it's vile.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #102
Master Chef

I came closer last night to duplicating my Dad's goulash. It was a bit too sweet though. The sweetness came because I cheated, by accident.

I never purchase tomato products that are pre-seasoned. I like to season to my tastes, not to someone who tries to please everyone from some food lab. I accidentally purchased pre-seasoned, diced tomatoes, DeLallo brand. I tasted the can juice and then looked at the can. In any case, I found the product reasonable. So I browned half a pound of ground beef, cut an onion into fourths, from top to bottom, then in half to make nice slices of that wonderful veggie. Got a half pound of portabellas going on the stove, and added the onion. I cooked them, but only partially. I then added the ground beef and browned it until done. Pour that into a pot with the canned tomato, add 1 tsp each, dried basil, dried oregano, and dried thyme. Two cloves of crushed garlic rounded out the flavor. I let that cook for ten minutes, then added 1 cup of uncooked, whole wheat, penne pasta, and let it absorb the extra moisture from the diced tomato. I cooked that for 15 minutes.

Maybe a bit of salt would have balanced the overly sweet diced tomato. But all in all, it was very nice. I'm eating left-overs for lunch today. I only wish I had some freshly grated Parmesiano Regiano to put on top. That would take it over the top.

Do you know how long I've worked to make goulash as good as my Dad's? As I've said before, my parents didn't cook nearly the variety of foods that I cook. But what they did cook, and that was a substantial variety, they cooked very well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #103
Executive Chef

There are so many dishes that my mother made that I can't duplicate, even though I have her recipes.

What jumped out for me was the DeLallo canned tomatoes. The original DeLallo's store is several miles up the highway from me. Our local grocers have DeLallo products, but I was not aware that they distributed as far away as Michigan. It is a very small but wonderful Italian store.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #104
Master Chef

DeLallo is a brand I've come to trust. When I purchase their products, I know what to expect.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 02-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #105
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Chief, when I was a kid we used to buy Stouffer's goulash. After many tries at recreating the dish, I found that the missing flavor was a good glug of catsup.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #106
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Chief, when I was a kid we used to buy Stouffer's goulash. After many tries at recreating the dish, I found that the missing flavor was a good glug of catsup.
I created my ACS recipe for my daughter who wanted her school cafeteria ACS taste. We were close but not close enough until she suggested the addition of tomato paste. BINGO!
Old 02-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #107
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I created my ACS recipe for my daughter who wanted her school cafeteria ACS taste. We were close but not close enough until she suggested the addition of tomato paste. BINGO!
That might indeed be the missing ingredient. The batch I made last night was a tad too sweet, from the pre-seasoned diced tomato, and the amount of onion that I added. Also, my Dad added chopped green pepper, which I didn't have available. The canned tomato did have the green pepper flavor though. Also, I forgot to add salt to the sauce. That might have balanced the sweetness. The tomato paste already has salt in it, and adds a great tomato richness.

As for the ketchup, that would make the goulash even sweeter. I'm looking for the sauce to be a bit more savory. Maybe I should add some anchovy paste.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 02-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #108
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I often use tomato paste instead of ketchup in recipes. We like it that way, less sweet.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #109
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Agreed! And that's a wonderful thing. But I didn't want your adjectives of "nasty" and "disgusting" to discourage anyone who might happen upon it and think of trying it to think that everyone thinks it's vile.
I think brussel sprouts are "nasty" and "disgusting" but I'd encourage everyone to love them. The only good thing I can say about them is they're "cute".

I've never had Indian Pudding but I have a very old recipe for it from my Mom who adored it. She got the recipe from a little cafe' somewhere in your neck of the woods when they were on a trip back there many years ago. I love that it's written in her own beautiful handwriting. I'm actually going to make it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

I think it sounds good, but I like "trail mix" types of foods.