American Chop Suey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bubble and Squeak!

We eat tons of BS, mostly roasted.

This intrigues me. Especially since I love mashed potatoes.
I Googled a recipe and would have to cook them first, along with some other vegetables, but I think I'll give this a try.

I found a gorgeous looking UK recipe.
AND... I just happen to have some mashed potatoes and peas in the fridge leftover from last night. I'm halfway there :yum:

There are so many dishes that my mother made that I can't duplicate, even though I have her recipes.

What jumped out for me was the DeLallo canned tomatoes. The original DeLallo's store is several miles up the highway from me. Our local grocers have DeLallo products, but I was not aware that they distributed as far away as Michigan. It is a very small but wonderful Italian store.

I can get DeLallo Brand in the store here in Montana.

I was just wondering the other day how they would be in soup; either halved or even leaf by leaf. I bought a large amount last week and was thinking of ways to use up the last of them.
Bacon! Trim the sprouts, cut the bigger ones in half or thirds. Pre-cook them just a tiny bit and drain. Meanwhile, fry some bacon, remove from pan and save a Tbsp or two of drippings. Use them to finish cooking the sprouts, then add back the bacon. If you like mushrooms fry them out in the bacon grease too. All three ingredients blend nicely together. I finish it off with a generous shake-shake-shake of garlic powder and some crumbled tarragon. You can omit the tarragon if you don't like it. This is even better the next day. I've been known to have it for breakfast...:ermm:

Here's an interesting read and there's no mention of maple syrup, or that the recipe came from Native Americans despite it being made with cornmeal.
The History of New England Indian Pudding | SAVEUR
That was a good article Kayelle. I've wondered since we moved up here why Harvard called their theatre club "The Hasty Pudding Club". The article says the club was formed as a social group back in 1770 and the members were required to bring a pot of hasty pudding to meetings...each member had their turn in alphabetical order. My heroes! BTW, the recipe link that pops up at the bottom of the article gives you the version of the NYC restaurant recipe. It does include a minuscule amount of maple syrup.

Oh, and I liked your "brussels sprouts are cute" comment! :LOL: I cannot eat them happily without embellishments. See my "bacon and mushrooms" comment to pac. ;)

Back
Top Bottom