"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I think brussel sprouts are "nasty" and "disgusting" but I'd encourage everyone to love them. The only good thing I can say about them is they're "cute".

I've never had Indian Pudding but I have a very old recipe for it from my Mom who adored it. She got the recipe from a little cafe' somewhere in your neck of the woods when they were on a trip back there many years ago. I love that it's written in her own beautiful handwriting. I'm actually going to make it.
Julia made it one time on her original show. She loved it. It is simple to make. The recipe originally came from the Tribes of Native Americans and showed the Pilgrims how to make it. The addition of raisins came later. And it originally had maple syrup, not molasses.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #112
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Julia made it one time on her original show. She loved it. It is simple to make. The recipe originally came from the Tribes of Native Americans and showed the Pilgrims how to make it. The addition of raisins came later. And it originally had maple syrup, not molasses.
I dug out my Mom's recipe she got from back there around 1960 and it calls for 3/4 cup of maple syrup which sounds better to me than molasses.
I may use some golden raisins as I don't like black raisins.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

I think brussel sprouts are "nasty" and "disgusting" but I'd encourage everyone to love them. The only good thing I can say about them is they're "cute".

I've never had Indian Pudding but I have a very old recipe for it from my Mom who adored it. She got the recipe from a little cafe' somewhere in your neck of the woods when they were on a trip back there many years ago. I love that it's written in her own beautiful handwriting. I'm actually going to make it.
I think many of us B-sprout-haters here would agree, Brussels sprouts are "cute", but I sure won't eat 'em! Kudos to those who love them!

You'll have to let us know how your Indian pudding turns out, Kayelle. I love maple syrup.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #114
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,365
Brussel sprouts are the only cabbage I'll eat as is (not in a soup or coleslaw).
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #115
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Brussel sprouts are the only cabbage I'll eat as is (not in a soup or coleslaw).
I was just wondering the other day how they would be in soup; either halved or even leaf by leaf. I bought a large amount last week and was thinking of ways to use up the last of them.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #116
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I dug out my Mom's recipe she got from back there around 1960 and it calls for 3/4 cup of maple syrup which sounds better to me than molasses.
I may use some golden raisins as I don't like black raisins.
Molasses weren't available to the Natives. But they already know about tapping the maple trees for the sap. And neither were the raisins. Those were a commodity that came from the Pilgrims.

I am not fond of raisins. They have always looked like shriveled bugs to me. I guess I am not a good New Englander. Not fond of native foods. Although I do like Pemican beef jerky.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #117
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I was just wondering the other day how they would be in soup; either halved or even leaf by leaf. I bought a large amount last week and was thinking of ways to use up the last of them.
What about using the in a slaw salad? Too much work?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #118
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I dug out my Mom's recipe she got from back there around 1960 and it calls for 3/4 cup of maple syrup which sounds better to me than molasses.
I may use some golden raisins as I don't like black raisins.
I love maple syrup but I can't imagine Indian Pudding that doesn't taste of molasses!
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #119
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I was just wondering the other day how they would be in soup; either halved or even leaf by leaf. I bought a large amount last week and was thinking of ways to use up the last of them.
Bubble and Squeak!

We eat tons of BS, mostly roasted.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #120
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,879
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Molasses weren't available to the Natives. But they already know about tapping the maple trees for the sap. And neither were the raisins. Those were a commodity that came from the Pilgrims.

I am not fond of raisins. They have always looked like shriveled bugs to me. I guess I am not a good New Englander. Not fond of native foods. Although I do like Pemican beef jerky.
I wonder if the Natives used dried blueberries or similar?
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.