"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I think brussel sprouts are "nasty" and "disgusting" but I'd encourage everyone to love them. The only good thing I can say about them is they're "cute".

I've never had Indian Pudding but I have a very old recipe for it from my Mom who adored it. She got the recipe from a little cafe' somewhere in your neck of the woods when they were on a trip back there many years ago. I love that it's written in her own beautiful handwriting. I'm actually going to make it.
Julia made it one time on her original show. She loved it. It is simple to make. The recipe originally came from the Tribes of Native Americans and showed the Pilgrims how to make it. The addition of raisins came later. And it originally had maple syrup, not molasses.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #112
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Julia made it one time on her original show. She loved it. It is simple to make. The recipe originally came from the Tribes of Native Americans and showed the Pilgrims how to make it. The addition of raisins came later. And it originally had maple syrup, not molasses.
I dug out my Mom's recipe she got from back there around 1960 and it calls for 3/4 cup of maple syrup which sounds better to me than molasses.
I may use some golden raisins as I don't like black raisins.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

I think brussel sprouts are "nasty" and "disgusting" but I'd encourage everyone to love them. The only good thing I can say about them is they're "cute".

I've never had Indian Pudding but I have a very old recipe for it from my Mom who adored it. She got the recipe from a little cafe' somewhere in your neck of the woods when they were on a trip back there many years ago. I love that it's written in her own beautiful handwriting. I'm actually going to make it.
I think many of us B-sprout-haters here would agree, Brussels sprouts are "cute", but I sure won't eat 'em! Kudos to those who love them!

You'll have to let us know how your Indian pudding turns out, Kayelle. I love maple syrup.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #114
Certified Pretend Chef

Brussel sprouts are the only cabbage I'll eat as is (not in a soup or coleslaw).
Old 02-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #115
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Brussel sprouts are the only cabbage I'll eat as is (not in a soup or coleslaw).
I was just wondering the other day how they would be in soup; either halved or even leaf by leaf. I bought a large amount last week and was thinking of ways to use up the last of them.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #116
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I dug out my Mom's recipe she got from back there around 1960 and it calls for 3/4 cup of maple syrup which sounds better to me than molasses.
Molasses weren't available to the Natives. But they already know about tapping the maple trees for the sap. And neither were the raisins. Those were a commodity that came from the Pilgrims.

I am not fond of raisins. They have always looked like shriveled bugs to me. I guess I am not a good New Englander. Not fond of native foods. Although I do like Pemican beef jerky.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #117
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I was just wondering the other day how they would be in soup; either halved or even leaf by leaf. I bought a large amount last week and was thinking of ways to use up the last of them.
What about using the in a slaw salad? Too much work?
Old 02-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #118
Master Chef

Quote:
I love maple syrup but I can't imagine Indian Pudding that doesn't taste of molasses!
Old 02-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #119
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Bubble and Squeak!

We eat tons of BS, mostly roasted.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #120
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Molasses weren't available to the Natives. But they already know about tapping the maple trees for the sap. And neither were the raisins. Those were a commodity that came from the Pilgrims.

I am not fond of raisins. They have always looked like shriveled bugs to me. I guess I am not a good New Englander. Not fond of native foods. Although I do like Pemican beef jerky.
I wonder if the Natives used dried blueberries or similar?