American Chop Suey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of us like it (Indian pudding) Addie. Properly done, it can be very flavorful and the texture is right.
To each there own. :angel:
Agreed! And that's a wonderful thing. But I didn't want your adjectives of "nasty" and "disgusting" to discourage anyone who might happen upon it and think of trying it to think that everyone thinks it's vile. ;)

I came closer last night to duplicating my Dad's goulash. It was a bit too sweet though. The sweetness came because I cheated, by accident.

I never purchase tomato products that are pre-seasoned. I like to season to my tastes, not to someone who tries to please everyone from some food lab. I accidentally purchased pre-seasoned, diced tomatoes, DeLallo brand. I tasted the can juice and then looked at the can. In any case, I found the product reasonable. So I browned half a pound of ground beef, cut an onion into fourths, from top to bottom, then in half to make nice slices of that wonderful veggie. Got a half pound of portabellas going on the stove, and added the onion. I cooked them, but only partially. I then added the ground beef and browned it until done. Pour that into a pot with the canned tomato, add 1 tsp each, dried basil, dried oregano, and dried thyme. Two cloves of crushed garlic rounded out the flavor. I let that cook for ten minutes, then added 1 cup of uncooked, whole wheat, penne pasta, and let it absorb the extra moisture from the diced tomato. I cooked that for 15 minutes.

Maybe a bit of salt would have balanced the overly sweet diced tomato. But all in all, it was very nice. I'm eating left-overs for lunch today. I only wish I had some freshly grated Parmesiano Regiano to put on top. That would take it over the top.

Do you know how long I've worked to make goulash as good as my Dad's? As I've said before, my parents didn't cook nearly the variety of foods that I cook. But what they did cook, and that was a substantial variety, they cooked very well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

There are so many dishes that my mother made that I can't duplicate, even though I have her recipes.

What jumped out for me was the DeLallo canned tomatoes. The original DeLallo's store is several miles up the highway from me. Our local grocers have DeLallo products, but I was not aware that they distributed as far away as Michigan. It is a very small but wonderful Italian store.

Chief, when I was a kid we used to buy Stouffer's goulash. After many tries at recreating the dish, I found that the missing flavor was a good glug of catsup.

Chief, when I was a kid we used to buy Stouffer's goulash. After many tries at recreating the dish, I found that the missing flavor was a good glug of catsup.

I created my ACS recipe for my daughter who wanted her school cafeteria ACS taste. We were close but not close enough until she suggested the addition of tomato paste. BINGO!

I created my ACS recipe for my daughter who wanted her school cafeteria ACS taste. We were close but not close enough until she suggested the addition of tomato paste. BINGO!

That might indeed be the missing ingredient. The batch I made last night was a tad too sweet, from the pre-seasoned diced tomato, and the amount of onion that I added. Also, my Dad added chopped green pepper, which I didn't have available. The canned tomato did have the green pepper flavor though. Also, I forgot to add salt to the sauce. That might have balanced the sweetness. The tomato paste already has salt in it, and adds a great tomato richness.

As for the ketchup, that would make the goulash even sweeter. I'm looking for the sauce to be a bit more savory. Maybe I should add some anchovy paste.:ohmy:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Agreed! And that's a wonderful thing. But I didn't want your adjectives of "nasty" and "disgusting" to discourage anyone who might happen upon it and think of trying it to think that everyone thinks it's vile. ;)

:LOL: I think brussel sprouts are "nasty" and "disgusting" but I'd encourage everyone to love them. The only good thing I can say about them is they're "cute". :LOL:

I've never had Indian Pudding but I have a very old recipe for it from my Mom who adored it. She got the recipe from a little cafe' somewhere in your neck of the woods when they were on a trip back there many years ago. I love that it's written in her own beautiful handwriting. I'm actually going to make it. :yum:

:LOL: I think brussel sprouts are "nasty" and "disgusting" but I'd encourage everyone to love them. The only good thing I can say about them is they're "cute". :LOL:

I've never had Indian Pudding but I have a very old recipe for it from my Mom who adored it. She got the recipe from a little cafe' somewhere in your neck of the woods when they were on a trip back there many years ago. I love that it's written in her own beautiful handwriting. I'm actually going to make it. :yum:

Julia made it one time on her original show. She loved it. It is simple to make. The recipe originally came from the Tribes of Native Americans and showed the Pilgrims how to make it. The addition of raisins came later. And it originally had maple syrup, not molasses. :angel:

Julia made it one time on her original show. She loved it. It is simple to make. The recipe originally came from the Tribes of Native Americans and showed the Pilgrims how to make it. The addition of raisins came later. And it originally had maple syrup, not molasses. :angel:

I dug out my Mom's recipe she got from back there around 1960 and it calls for 3/4 cup of maple syrup which sounds better to me than molasses.
I may use some golden raisins as I don't like black raisins.

:LOL: I think many of us B-sprout-haters here would agree, Brussels sprouts are "cute", but I sure won't eat 'em! Kudos to those who love them!

You'll have to let us know how your Indian pudding turns out, Kayelle. I love maple syrup.

Last edited:
Brussel sprouts are the only cabbage I'll eat as is (not in a soup or coleslaw).

I was just wondering the other day how they would be in soup; either halved or even leaf by leaf. I bought a large amount last week and was thinking of ways to use up the last of them.

I dug out my Mom's recipe she got from back there around 1960 and it calls for 3/4 cup of maple syrup which sounds better to me than molasses.

Molasses weren't available to the Natives. But they already know about tapping the maple trees for the sap. And neither were the raisins. Those were a commodity that came from the Pilgrims.

I am not fond of raisins. They have always looked like shriveled bugs to me. I guess I am not a good New Englander. Not fond of native foods. Although I do like Pemican beef jerky. :angel:

I was just wondering the other day how they would be in soup; either halved or even leaf by leaf. I bought a large amount last week and was thinking of ways to use up the last of them.

What about using the in a slaw salad? Too much work? :angel:

I love maple syrup but I can't imagine Indian Pudding that doesn't taste of molasses!

Molasses weren't available to the Natives. But they already know about tapping the maple trees for the sap. And neither were the raisins. Those were a commodity that came from the Pilgrims.

I am not fond of raisins. They have always looked like shriveled bugs to me. I guess I am not a good New Englander. Not fond of native foods. Although I do like Pemican beef jerky. :angel:
I wonder if the Natives used dried blueberries or similar?

Back
Top Bottom