"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
Master Chef

America's Best Cities for Food Snobs ~ Travel & Leisure Magazine

America's Best Cities for Food Snobs | Travel + Leisure

Not a big fan of slide shows, but I still took the time to page through them all. Cleveland ranks Number 7. As our niece would say: "squeeeee!!!"

Quite a few other cities listed have DC members living in or nearby them. If you don't live near one, this might give you a vacation idea based on where to eat.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
Wine Guy

Minneapolis/St. Paul made #5. We went to their pick "Spoon and Stable" a couple of weeks ago. I thought the food was excellent, but there are other places I like better, and most of which are a little more low key. A couple of the other places they list, Matt's and the 5/8 Club are kind of iconic, but the food really isn't all that great. "Gyst" I've never even heard of, but will have to check out.

If anyone is ever interested in eating here, let me know, and I would be more than happy to make some recommendations - or even meet up with you for a meal, if you like.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
Master Chef

America's Best Cities for Food Snobs ~ Travel & Leisure Magazine

Wow. #5, not bad. Things definitely changed since I stopped eating out. 20-25 years ago when I first came, the restaurant seen was mediocre.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 03-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Wow. #5, not bad. Things definitely changed since I stopped eating out. 20-25 years ago when I first came, the restaurant seen was mediocre.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Charlie

The twin cities' restaurant scene was actually pretty hoppin 20 years ago.

I am surprised to all get out that Boston isn't on the list!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Charlie

The twin cities' restaurant scene was actually pretty hoppin 20 years ago.

I am surprised to all get out that Boston isn't on the list!
There are probably a lot of surprises missing from that list. I don't put much stock in such polls. Usually these polls are more concerned with things that I wouldn't even take into consideration. My main considerations are price and good food (and in a strange city, ease of access), and my ideas on this are not usually in line with the typical pollster.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
There are probably a lot of surprises missing from that list. I don't put much stock in such polls. Usually these polls are more concerned with things that I wouldn't even take into consideration. My main considerations are price and good food (and in a strange city, ease of access), and my ideas on this are not usually in line with the typical pollster.
I thought the list was pretty right on except for Boston which is a huge foodie place
Old 03-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I thought the list was pretty right on except for Boston which is a huge foodie place
I guess I'm just not attracted to "foodie" places. I sometimes seek out the places which are off the beaten path. Places with names like "The Buck Snort Saloon" or "Bully's Pub and Grub" or "The Tommyknocker Brewery" or "Beau Jo's Pizza". Maybe not gourmet, just good food.

And that's not a complaint that Colorado wasn't mentioned. I really didn't expect it to be. We are definitely lacking in famous restaurants or name chefs. That doesn't mean that we have nothing upscale to offer, however. Places like the Fawnbrook Inn and the Briarwood Inn are both amazing places to dine, with marvelous food and unbeatable ambiance.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I guess I'm just not attracted to "foodie" places. I sometimes seek out the places which are off the beaten path. Places with names like "The Buck Snort Saloon" or "Bully's Pub and Grub" or "The Tommyknocker Brewery" or "Beau Jo's Pizza". Maybe not gourmet, just good food.
But those ARE foodie places, and we have tons of them, in addition to incredibly creative cookery and great fine dining plus farmers markets, sustainable agriculture and a restaurant that bred their own signature oyster!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #9
Senior Cook

On that list, only Dallas was mentioned in my area. They didn't mention Fort Worth, Arlington, Mansfield, Denton - all of which have excellent foodie places to eat. I'm not knocking Dallas, as there are good places to eat there, but I've been to some really fun and excellent places.

J. Gilligan's in Arlington is so awesome. It's near the ball park, has yummy Irish Nachos, and some of the best live Celtic music in Texas right after Trinity Hall in Dallas.

So, I don't always agree with the polls, but my method is to typically as a local where they like to eat and check it out.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein
Maelinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:00 AM   #10
Master Chef

I thought it was both interesting and surprising that neither Boston nor New York were mentioned. It wouldn't surprise me if New York missed out for the same reason that San Francisco slipped - the cost of eating there and the 'tude of the natives. Might be the same with Boston. I don't know. We rarely go into "the city" because of the cost, parking, navigating lousy roads, cost, etc.

I liked that the first place mentioned in Cleveland was the West Side Market. Not exactly a restaurant! It's like a Farmer's Market year round, only better. If you have ever been there, you wish you could go back. If you haven't been there, you need to plan a trip to Cleveland just to spend a day there. I miss a lot from back home, but the three things I miss most are our daughter, our son, and West Side Market. Some days, not necessarily in that order. 25 miles was a long way to go grocery shopping, but it was worth a trip about once a month. Now, when we're back home with the kids, we try to make a pilgrimage once even though it's about a 50 mile drive from our daughter's.

Tags
food, travel