America's Best Cities for Food Snobs ~ Travel & Leisure Magazine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Minneapolis/St. Paul made #5. We went to their pick "Spoon and Stable" a couple of weeks ago. I thought the food was excellent, but there are other places I like better, and most of which are a little more low key. A couple of the other places they list, Matt's and the 5/8 Club are kind of iconic, but the food really isn't all that great. "Gyst" I've never even heard of, but will have to check out.

If anyone is ever interested in eating here, let me know, and I would be more than happy to make some recommendations - or even meet up with you for a meal, if you like.

Wow. #5, not bad. Things definitely changed since I stopped eating out. 20-25 years ago when I first came, the restaurant seen was mediocre.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Last edited:
Wow. #5, not bad. Things definitely changed since I stopped eating out. 20-25 years ago when I first came, the restaurant seen was mediocre.

Charlie

The twin cities' restaurant scene was actually pretty hoppin 20 years ago.

I am surprised to all get out that Boston isn't on the list!

Charlie

There are probably a lot of surprises missing from that list. I don't put much stock in such polls. Usually these polls are more concerned with things that I wouldn't even take into consideration. My main considerations are price and good food (and in a strange city, ease of access), and my ideas on this are not usually in line with the typical pollster.

There are probably a lot of surprises missing from that list. I don't put much stock in such polls. Usually these polls are more concerned with things that I wouldn't even take into consideration. My main considerations are price and good food (and in a strange city, ease of access), and my ideas on this are not usually in line with the typical pollster.

I thought the list was pretty right on except for Boston which is a huge foodie place

I thought the list was pretty right on except for Boston which is a huge foodie place

I guess I'm just not attracted to "foodie" places. I sometimes seek out the places which are off the beaten path. Places with names like "The Buck Snort Saloon" or "Bully's Pub and Grub" or "The Tommyknocker Brewery" or "Beau Jo's Pizza". Maybe not gourmet, just good food. :yum:

And that's not a complaint that Colorado wasn't mentioned. I really didn't expect it to be. We are definitely lacking in famous restaurants or name chefs. That doesn't mean that we have nothing upscale to offer, however. Places like the Fawnbrook Inn and the Briarwood Inn are both amazing places to dine, with marvelous food and unbeatable ambiance.

I guess I'm just not attracted to "foodie" places. I sometimes seek out the places which are off the beaten path. Places with names like "The Buck Snort Saloon" or "Bully's Pub and Grub" or "The Tommyknocker Brewery" or "Beau Jo's Pizza". Maybe not gourmet, just good food. :yum:

But those ARE foodie places, and we have tons of them, in addition to incredibly creative cookery and great fine dining plus farmers markets, sustainable agriculture and a restaurant that bred their own signature oyster!;)

On that list, only Dallas was mentioned in my area. They didn't mention Fort Worth, Arlington, Mansfield, Denton - all of which have excellent foodie places to eat. I'm not knocking Dallas, as there are good places to eat there, but I've been to some really fun and excellent places.

J. Gilligan's in Arlington is so awesome. It's near the ball park, has yummy Irish Nachos, and some of the best live Celtic music in Texas right after Trinity Hall in Dallas.

So, I don't always agree with the polls, but my method is to typically as a local where they like to eat and check it out.

I thought it was both interesting and surprising that neither Boston nor New York were mentioned. It wouldn't surprise me if New York missed out for the same reason that San Francisco slipped - the cost of eating there and the 'tude of the natives. Might be the same with Boston. I don't know. We rarely go into "the city" because of the cost, parking, navigating lousy roads, cost, etc.

I liked that the first place mentioned in Cleveland was the West Side Market. Not exactly a restaurant! :yum: It's like a Farmer's Market year round, only better. If you have ever been there, you wish you could go back. If you haven't been there, you need to plan a trip to Cleveland just to spend a day there. I miss a lot from back home, but the three things I miss most are our daughter, our son, and West Side Market. Some days, not necessarily in that order. :-p 25 miles was a long way to go grocery shopping, but it was worth a trip about once a month. Now, when we're back home with the kids, we try to make a pilgrimage once even though it's about a 50 mile drive from our daughter's.

Will definitely check with Steve, when we next visit Baby Bro in the Twin Cities. So far, eating there I've been underwhelmed, we have better food here along the river. We love Chicago and New Orleans food.

I thought it was both interesting and surprising that neither Boston nor New York were mentioned. It wouldn't surprise me if New York missed out for the same reason that San Francisco slipped - the cost of eating there and the 'tude of the natives. Might be the same with Boston. I don't know. We rarely go into "the city" because of the cost, parking, navigating lousy roads, cost, etc.

New York is #10.

I wouldn't have guessed the Twin Cities and Cleveland to beat New York. I thought foodies loved New York to death! That's great, though. :)

None near me. C'est la vie.

Charlie

Not sure how hoppin it was, but really the whole food seen was pretty black here. Could not find a lot of items.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom